The home brew thread

Hope you all have a great Christmas. Down at my dads in Yeovil this week and been working through his collection of homebrew.... Hes made 150 bottles of wine, 120 pints of of ale\lager and 40 pints of cider. Plus i brought 40 pints of festival ale with me to add to the collection. Have to say that the american craft ale and festival ale are far and away the best of the bunch. Much better than wherry in my opinion! My dads merlot (cantini kit i think) is also very drinkable.

All the best!

dfb548044b11fb2d516bc00a5342daa5.jpg

Just unwrapped these.... Happy days

Crabbers said:

Got the same book mate! Looking forward to trying it out. Also got a couple of mini kegs and one pressurised kegs, looking forward to trying these also! Just sipping down on a home brew.

Had 7 pints of home brew tonight and 3 cans of carling. No contest.
Over the blue moon with my brew, and at 5.6% it packs a punch and a lovely taste!

How are all you home brewers doing??

TINY said:
Crabbers said:

Got the same book mate! Looking forward to trying it out. Also got a couple of mini kegs and one pressurised kegs, looking forward to trying these also! Just sipping down on a home brew.
Got the book too and it's ace. Mini kegs are brilliant too, and very handy, it's just the bung that needs replacing after a while.

mscenterh750 said:
TINY said:
Crabbers said:

Got the book too and it's ace. Mini kegs are brilliant too, and very handy, it's just the bung that needs replacing after a while.
Having read most of it i'm going to start brewing all grain. Just need to save up sone pennies for the extra equipment.

Cheers for the info Taxi... and happy new year! I may try a partial mash as my next brew (once i've got the cider kit out of the way). Like you said, ultimately it's going to be all grain, so i'm pretty much thinking what the hell, jump in at the deep end and just do it. I think an initial outlay of £150-£200 for a decent mash tun, electric boiler, sparge arm, etc. I know it can be done cheaper (DIY etc) but reckon it'll be worth the investment in some proper gear. I have some exams coming up over the next few weeks so will look at doing a partial mash once they're out of the way. Might even do another video while doing it for a laugh (craigtube watch out!)

Down to my last few bottles of wherry and muntons lager... thankfully have a batch of festival ale which has been sat int he bottles for about 4 weeks now so will be ready for some serious suppage, along with 25 bottles of wilkos spicy cabernet sauvignot.

While away over christmas, i sampled plenty of my dads homebrew wine. He had a fair few, but the standouts were the California connoisseur Sauvignon Blanc and the Beaverdale Merlot, with a special mention for the Cantina Montepulciano, which we had been led to believe was inferior to the others, but seemed equally as good to me.

Anyway, better get back to work. Happy drinking!

Sounds good! I love the wine kits since you, taxi, spoke and kindly delivered a bottle. I recently tried a Solomon Grundy kit and it turned out really well; pleased with it, but not quite to the level of which taxi produced.

I have built a little brew shed (pictures available upon request haha) to prepare for when I move to all grain, and I was bought a brew belt of Xmas. Anyone use these and can confirm they are ok to be left on constantly? I've hooked it up to a light timer and have it coming on for an hour and off for an hour on a fermenter with just water in it to test if the temperature will be correct for beer in thos cold weather. The shed sits at around 7 degrees in this weather (didn't insulate!) so not sure if the belt alone can maintain a 20-25 degree temp.

Happy home brewing everyone!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.