The home brew thread

Happy days mate, welcome aboard.

RE leaving wort to chill overnight, never done it myself but I know it is coveted by a lot, just make sure your sanitation is spot on, and you get the lid on asap.

Note that you'll only need to do this or worry about this for all grain, if you're using a kit then you won't need to think about it for now.

Essentially you're boiling water, adding ferment able sugar, a malt extract kit and topping up with cold water, aiming for around 21 degrees or so.

Thanks mate for the info. If I can get into the obsession like I do with certain things then I will be going to that all grain soon enough. I think my pot maybe a bit too big to boil on the stove but I will test it out over the weekend first!!

Just done my first brew last night. Making a Newzealand IPA. Does anyone ever do brew in a bag? I have an 10.5 gallon kettle. Would I be able to do a 5 gallon batch with that? I have girls arms and not that strong, how heavy would it be to pull that bag out if I were to go down that route? I may do a couple more batches of extract first.

I also have one of them coopers kits. Does that even come with yeast? The instructions are vague, am I actually doing any boiling? It sounds too easy compared go the one I done last night

Hello fellow pisscans.

I'm currently working on a milestone black pearl Irish stout, that I've doctored with extra dark spray malt and treacle, which will then have demarera sugar added to it, before mini kegging.

If you are struggling with kegging or bottling from your fermenter, then Google 'little bottler'. It's a great tool to stop getting sediment mixed with your fermented brew.

Also get yourselves some mini kegs, bloody brilliant things that hold 9 pints, and save waste beer from not having to piss about with bottles or trying to sup 40 pints out of a barrel before it goes off.

I'm currently mulling whether to buy a grainfather or not. Have a look on brewuk, it looks very impressive.

Happy brewing cunts.

My local brew shop has started to stock Tiny Rebel 'CWTCH' brew kits. I started it a couple of weeks ago. Two types of hops in pellet form to drop into the brew smelled amazing.
It has been in a pressure barrel for a few days now and an early taste sample was very pleasant. Patience. Another week until I can have a good pint.

Done an all grain today, brown ale, all done and in fermentation fridge. 3 hours all up

I have had a magnificent time brewing up many differnt concoctions from around the globe.
Wines beers and pilsners have all put a wry grin on an old man face.
Not all were superlative but most were most palatable with some exceeding all expectations.
I dont want to go over the same waffle as this thread is an absolute mine of information from all the home brewers concerned.
And to all that participated and enjoyed this immense hobby I salute you !

I am here actually to slightly downgrade.
Last year we had to move into an upstairs flat and space is now at a premium.
But with unb3eliv3eibvable inguinatly I managed to continie masheshin and crushing the grape to produce thew fruit of the vine and the work of humasn hamnds

Well now I have a backlog of drink and have to seriously stop production temporarally of my magnicents hom,e micro breweryy
I have enclosed a piccie below of my final fermenting room and as you can see it's our bathroom were we scrub up.
Over 200 bottles in there alone and another 200 bottles full scattered through the flat
So I have been told I have to slightly downgrade
No actually in all fairness I have been told I have to downgrade immediatly.

f3g9ed.jpg

Here then is what I have for sale in mint sterilzed condition with some bottles only having one use and in ace condition.

I have brown glass bottles with the flip tops and they are all the larger 500ml
These are the same as in the picture and I am selling at below halrf shop value at 70p the bottle.
They last forever and a day and are probably the best meduim for home brew storage.

I also have pet coopers bottles at £6 pounds for a 24 caseof 500ml's ...like wow !
These are the ox bar (c) oxygen barrier protected bottles that keep your beer fresh as a daisy
At this price I must have sun stroke !
But I concur that for me personally the bottles are the ultimate Rolls royce in home brew an incredulous @70p each what is not to like eh ?

I also have an untoched unopened brand new home brew kit costing £15 making 40 pints which is half price at £7
This is an IPA kit and proper proper nice tackle.Also malt extras at half price
I also have spare home brew kits of three 5 gallon barrels a strirrier stick and hydrometer and a few extra gizmos for utter pennies.

Out of the above I can sell 160 glass flip top bottles and let go 200 or so of the per ox coopers bottles
This will reduce my stock to around halfish

Happy dayz and happy brewing.
I can spit any denonination of bottles or kits to suit and will offer advice to the newbie.
You will be utterly impressed with what you brew and it will give you something to do with your life instead of just wasting it going to the boring pub !

That is all for nowand you will be able yo imbibe of r=free tastings on my brewery tour !
PM me if you wish to enjoy life more !
Your toothbrush head could do with replacing fella!

I have had a magnificent time brewing up many differnt concoctions from around the globe.
Wines beers and pilsners have all put a wry grin on an old man face.
Not all were superlative but most were most palatable with some exceeding all expectations.
I dont want to go over the same waffle as this thread is an absolute mine of information from all the home brewers concerned.
And to all that participated and enjoyed this immense hobby I salute you !

I am here actually to slightly downgrade.
Last year we had to move into an upstairs flat and space is now at a premium.
But with unb3eliv3eibvable inguinatly I managed to continie masheshin and crushing the grape to produce thew fruit of the vine and the work of humasn hamnds

Well now I have a backlog of drink and have to seriously stop production temporarally of my magnicents hom,e micro breweryy
I have enclosed a piccie below of my final fermenting room and as you can see it's our bathroom were we scrub up.
Over 200 bottles in there alone and another 200 bottles full scattered through the flat
So I have been told I have to slightly downgrade
No actually in all fairness I have been told I have to downgrade immediatly.

f3g9ed.jpg

Here then is what I have for sale in mint sterilzed condition with some bottles only having one use and in ace condition.

I have brown glass bottles with the flip tops and they are all the larger 500ml
These are the same as in the picture and I am selling at below halrf shop value at 70p the bottle.
They last forever and a day and are probably the best meduim for home brew storage.

I also have pet coopers bottles at £6 pounds for a 24 caseof 500ml's ...like wow !
These are the ox bar (c) oxygen barrier protected bottles that keep your beer fresh as a daisy
At this price I must have sun stroke !
But I concur that for me personally the bottles are the ultimate Rolls royce in home brew an incredulous @70p each what is not to like eh ?

I also have an untoched unopened brand new home brew kit costing £15 making 40 pints which is half price at £7
This is an IPA kit and proper proper nice tackle.Also malt extras at half price
I also have spare home brew kits of three 5 gallon barrels a strirrier stick and hydrometer and a few extra gizmos for utter pennies.

Out of the above I can sell 160 glass flip top bottles and let go 200 or so of the per ox coopers bottles
This will reduce my stock to around halfish

Happy dayz and happy brewing.
I can spit any denonination of bottles or kits to suit and will offer advice to the newbie.
You will be utterly impressed with what you brew and it will give you something to do with your life instead of just wasting it going to the boring pub !

That is all for nowand you will be able yo imbibe of r=free tastings on my brewery tour !
PM me if you wish to enjoy life more !

Some good stuff there mate!

I just finished bottling 48 bottles of English Pale Ale, I got another 48 ready to drink in two weeks. Can't wait to try my first lot out. Simple extract boil kits but gotta start somewhere

Some good stuff there mate!

I just finished bottling 48 bottles of English Pale Ale, I got another 48 ready to drink in two weeks. Can't wait to try my first lot out. Simple extract boil kits but gotta start somewhere
I stayed with kits for ages and still use them whilst others on this thread have migrated on to all grain and full mash.

However .. .You can vastly improve you brew by just spicing up your extract kits with speciality grain.
If your space is at a premium like me you can just steep to produce a fresher more intense tasting wort than can be produced from home brew kits alone.

Equipment remains affordable and you can buy good value pans from Wilkinsons
They have a large one in stock pardon the pun for only £36 that fitted my bill magnificently.
After using additional grains with steeping you can take a slight leap of faith onto partial mash which can also be done where space is at a premium.

And then all grain which I have not partaken but one day I will. Some of the chaps off here will give you information on all grain if you ask

Here is my guru John Palmer explaining all the different aspects of steeping and I have to say the the freshness and taste is so dicernable even to the most stubborn of palates.Do try to read the full book pal if you get the time.
I have read it three times because some of the information was rather over complex.
I still use this online book for reference and I think this chap really knows his stuff.

Chapter 13 - Steeping Specialty Grain

http://howtobrew.com/book/section-2/steeping-specialty-grains/why-why-not

http://howtobrew.com/book/section-2/steeping-specialty-grains/understanding-grain

http://howtobrew.com/book/section-2/steeping-specialty-grains/mechanics-of-steeping

http://howtobrew.com/book/section-2/steeping-specialty-grains/example-batch

Last edited:
Indeed Crouchinho I stayed with kits for ages and still use them whilst others on this thread have migrated on to all grain and full mash.
However .. .You can vastly improve you brew by just spicing up your extract kits with speciality grain.
If your space is at a premium like me you can just steep to produce a fresher more intense tasting wort than can be produced from home brew kits alone.

Equipment remains affordable and you can buy good value pans from Wilkinsons
They have a large one in stock pardon the pun for only £36 that fitted my bill magnificently.
After using additional grains with steeping you can take a slight leap of faith onto partial mash which can also be done where space is at a premium.
And then all grain which I have not partaken of but one day I will. Some of the chaps off here will give you information on all grain if you ask

Here is my guru John Palmer explaining all the different aspects of steeping and I have to say the the freshness and taste is so dicernable even to the most stubborn of palates.Do try to read the full book pal if you get the time.
I have read it three times because some of the information was rather over complex.
I still use this online book for reference and I think this chap really knows his stuff.

Chapter 13 - Steeping Specialty Grain

http://howtobrew.com/book/section-2/steeping-specialty-grains/why-why-not

http://howtobrew.com/book/section-2/steeping-specialty-grains/understanding-grain

http://howtobrew.com/book/section-2/steeping-specialty-grains/mechanics-of-steeping

http://howtobrew.com/book/section-2/steeping-specialty-grains/example-batch

Thanks mate for the info! I was wondering if I could give it a bit more than what I have. I like the idea of the dry hopping too for the aromas. I will check out the links cheers again

Thanks mate for the info! I was wondering if I could give it a bit more than what I have. I like the idea of the dry hopping too for the aromas. I will check out the links cheers again

Chained to my oars at the moment but just a quick one.
Dry hopping is brilliant.
In the early days I had few disasters but consider myself to be a hop head so persevered on.
A lot of the American style hops like Centennial and Cascade have a beautiful grapefruity citrussy aroma and taste.
My favourite ibeing Centenial and ideal for our IPA'z.
I also love the English hops particularly East Kent Goldings which rock my world.

I will give you a good idea for a hopping method but have to go now.
Will update.

Last edited by a moderator:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.