The ITK Discussion Thread [Merged]

Re: Just this minute.............

squirtyflower said:
Eto'o is playing a very risky game here. At the moment he believes that if he waits for twelve more months he will end up with a lot more money, as the signing on fee for his new club will be in the region of City's offer of £25 million and then 'stratospheric' wages. However there are two problems with this strategy:
1. Who, apart from City, would pay that kind of fee and wages for a 29 year old who may be past his peak?
2. He could, for example, rupture his cruciate ligament in a game in late November, scuppering any chance at all negotiating a new contract and then potentially be unemployed at the end of the season, and no lucrative deal to see out his days.

At the end of the day it is down to him, and it will be his choice. Guaranteed big bucks for five years, or potentially bigger bucks for five years deferred for one year.

Agreed anyone willing to make a 29 year old the best paid player is making a huge mistake. Eto'o is at his peak, granted, but he has maybe 24 months left at the top before his body does go into the decline. Nobody will take the risk of paying a large wage to someone at the age of 29-30, the best paid players in the world are almost always 24-28.

squirtyflower said:
Eto'o is playing a very risky game here. At the moment he believes that if he waits for twelve more months he will end up with a lot more money, as the signing on fee for his new club will be in the region of City's offer of £25 million and then 'stratospheric' wages. However there are two problems with this strategy:
1. Who, apart from City, would pay that kind of fee and wages for a 29 year old who may be past his peak?
2. He could, for example, rupture his cruciate ligament in a game in late November, scuppering any chance at all negotiating a new contract and then potentially be unemployed at the end of the season, and no lucrative deal to see out his days.

At the end of the day it is down to him, and it will be his choice. Guaranteed big bucks for five years, or potentially bigger bucks for five years deferred for one year.
good point that.Infact the more I think about your post the more i think he;ll come to city.I don;t think he;ll risk it,but calling Barca;s bluff won;t hurt him,so my opinion of him is changing.He;ll be here by the end of the week IMO..

While i agree that he should be given what he is owed, i dont think city should pay it because its not up to us to pay it, but the thing is, IF he says right ill stay and run out my contract he forfeits that 12m anyway and if he thinks he will get a 12m signing on fee at the end of his contract he is out of his mind.

i think we should pay it.

we would have still been wanting Eto'o for the price of £37M IMO

if the difference between him coming and not coming is £12m, just fucking pay it, we will get that back in just afew months with merchandising

forevercity said:

if the difference between him coming and not coming is £12m, just fucking pay it, we will get that back in just afew months with merchandising

said similar earlier mate, think the point is that we will see how far Barca and Eto'o get with their negotiations and then we will chip in with the balance.

forevercity said:

Fair comments mate. I'd like to think that Barca and Eto'o may come to some agreement, but if not, and if we really want him that bad, then we may shell out the cash....like you say, we should get it back in merchandise etc

TimmyP said:
forevercity said:

Fair comments mate. I'd like to think that Barca and Eto'o may come to some agreement, but if not, and if we really want him that bad, then we may shell out the cash....like you say, we should get it back in merchandise etc

Its either going to get sorted quickly, or this will stretch on through much of this month and August.

I think we should agree between us and Barca how it is paid, ie what will Barca accept keeping for Eto'o and what will we pay.

I don't blame the player at all he could get the whole 25m for himself if he waits a year so by signing with us now he is in effect giving 25m of his own money to Barca, I am not sure any of us would do that, so by getting a % of this from Barca and some from us would be the only way to agree.

As for walking away what a loser thing to do that would be for CIty, to give up on getting great players in case someone laughs at us or the press are a bit nasty! Pathetic, anyone who will ever succeed in life and anyone with any balls or ambition will happily fail many times and learn from it every time so they get success and nail it. The attitude we should give up on trying because of Kaka is the attitude of permanent mediocrity. It is the attitude of someone who will always settle for second best who will always try and date someone stupider and uglier than themselves in case they get turned down for a date and someone laughs at them.

Our owners and City are bigger than that, if we fail we will dust ourselves down, learn from what happened and try even harder next time!

Some of the rot on here is gobsmacking the double standards and defeatism and the shere thin skin of people amazes me. If a Manchester City fan after the last 35 years can't handle a bit of flack off other fans or the press then they need to get a new team!

To get the whole 25m for himself he would have to be on 100k a week after tax for a full 5 years to get 25m of us he would have to play for 2.5 years obviously.

I cant see a club giving a player nearing 30 a contract for 5 years at 100k a week or a signing on fee of 10m plus.

and as someone stated earlier this is all dependant on him having another good season and not getting injured and playing constantly. Alot of people on here have said barca wont and cant afford to bench him i think they can and will, iof they know they are going to lose him for nothing i think they will try and bring in a new striker to take his place from the youth setup.

Also what you have to take into account here is are we willing to set precedent by doing this, if we do it for one player, clubs will want us 2 do it for other players artificially hiking up prices or they will expect daft signing bonuses and it will soon start spiralling out of control.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.