The Labour Government

You do realise that not all employers are fat sloths with a cigar stroking a cat sneering down at the workers from above don’t you?

The majority are good hard working people who give people in society a chance and opportunities.

It’s not as simple as saying pay a better wage to attract a better applicant. The minimum wage is all that some employers can afford.

Then they deserve to go out of business. Living wage is £12 outside of London. That's what they should be paying.

These small businesses are the backbone of the country and the economy, giving people their first, continued or last chance of employment.

If they're a small hospitality business can't they just give their staff some free food and not declare it as a benefit?

Perhaps we could also add up the unpaid hours that they've had their staff work ?

Then they deserve to go out of business. Living wage is £12 outside of London. That's what they should be paying.

If they're a small hospitality business can't they just give their staff some free food and not declare it as a benefit?

Perhaps we could also add up the unpaid hours that they've had their staff work ?

The Premier League season cannot come quick enough. Off to the general football sub forum.

The Premier League season cannot come quick enough. Off to the general football sub forum.
Same here, I'm hopeful we will we get a middle of the road government with a slightly left wing slant to bring some policies back to centre. Buy some of the posts on these political threads are a tad concerning to say the least.

"Bills Butties are currently recruiting for a new full time member of staff. Hours will be 37 hours per week and salary depending on experience.

You really don't get it - Bill doesn't recruit full time staff - there are very few FT staff in retail and many other sectors. FT staff require T's & C's that I and probably you work or worked on. Holiday pay, sick pay etc etc. Bill recruits 2 possibly 3 people on zero hours - they may not get sick pay, they will probably only get limited paid leave based on hours and when it comes to redundancy its cheaper because if they have been around long enough to get a pay off its based on 12hrs pw pay not 37.

You really don't get it - Bill doesn't recruit full time staff - there are very few FT staff in retail and many other sectors. FT staff require T's & C's that I and probably you work or worked on. Holiday pay, sick pay etc etc. Bill recruits 2 possibly 3 people on zero hours - they may not get sick pay, they will probably only get limited paid leave based on hours and when it comes to redundancy its cheaper because if they have been around long enough to get a pay off its based on 12hrs pw pay not 37.

Doesn't this make the argument for full employment rights on day one?

Even if the figures are right it still brings in money. The country is in a mess my priorities aren't the wealthy and their angst over their kids getting an advantage over everyone else's
That’s the whole point though, it isn’t just the wealthy who will be shafted here. Yes it brings money in to the country but I am not sure this is the right policy. I would happily pay an extra penny of income tax if I knew it was being used correctly and I am not one of the wealthy paying 40% tax. Maybe we can start saving money by reducing public sector pensions which in many cases are over 25%. A few years ago the cost to the British taxpayer was over 2 trillion, bigger than the entire UK economy. Absolute madness that, for example, someone working in the civil service on 40k per year at the age of 25 - 30 has £10k of taxpayers money put into their pension each year.

Doesn't this make the argument for full employment rights on day one?

Of course it does. I worked 40 years full time in a pensionable occupation so I own a house and retired early on those pensions. The last 3 years were gig/zero hours coz the previous 40 years enabled me to do so - getting £5k pm was great but all the tax forms etc were a fucking pain so I gladly gave up.

The problem is I find people younger and older than me who moan about younger people who have not had the same good fortune as me ( and them ) without understanding the housing cost to take home pay ration has massively changed and when I had guaranteed regular protected pay with rises ( as did they ) the youngsters moan that they cannot rely on hours at a measly say £15 an hour for a full week.

Can you imagine how big the pensions row will be in 40 years time? None of them are in pensionable work and cant afford to contribute one and will be looking at a pittance if they live to 80? Any wonder Truss is ridiculed?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.