The Labour Government

That’s the point though, it’s not these people that will be disadvantaged, it will be hard working parents who sacrifice everything to give their kids a private education. At MGS around 200 boys receive a full or partial bursary so not exactly families full of doctors and lawyers. Potentially the VAT increase may now mean these kids don’t have the chance for private education. As I have said earlier because many kids will leave and join the private sector the actual amount raised isn’t huge and only one in five schools will receive one extra teacher.
How will MGS cope? I mean....
“We want our boys to be adventurous.
The first foreign trek set out from MGS in 1910, and every year since there have been expeditions to almost all of the mountain ranges in the UK and Europe, and some further afield.
Today there are three annual treks – Scottish, Foreign and Desert; their most recent destinations have been Skye, the Atlas Mountains and the Wahiba Sands in the Oman respectively. “

Next year: Debdale Park. Reddish Vale Farm and a day out in Moston on the Ring and Ride.

My public sector heart is weeping (with laughter).

That’s the point though, it’s not these people that will be disadvantaged, it will be hard working parents who sacrifice everything to give their kids a private education. At MGS around 200 boys receive a full or partial bursary so not exactly families full of doctors and lawyers. Potentially the VAT increase may now mean these kids don’t have the chance for private education. As I have said earlier because many kids will leave and join the private sector the actual amount raised isn’t huge and only one in five schools will receive one extra teacher.

Most private schools won’t be passing on the VAT to the parents. Those that do will be ones knowing full well the vast majority can afford it still. There will also be some that close as they have done already over the past decade due to either the local state schools being improved that it’s not worth it or they priced people out already.

There’s far worse examples of unfairness of tax than putting VAT on private schools.

The rail nationalisation went down well with an MD...

Sent an email out which reading between the lines read; "Waaaahhhhh!!!! It's not fair they are going to take away all my money!!!"

This gentleman gave himself a £90,000 pay rise for "Hard work maintaining the business during COVID".

Most private schools won’t be passing on the VAT to the parents. Those that do will be ones knowing full well the vast majority can afford it still. There will also be some that close as they have done already over the past decade due to either the local state schools being improved that it’s not worth it or they priced people out already.

There’s far worse examples of unfairness of tax than putting VAT on private schools.
Have you any evidence for this. My daughter's school have indicated they will be passing on the VAT and it's not the type of independent school that every parent is wealthy. I go without things to pay for it, and it will probably mean this season, my 27th will be my last as a season ticket holder to enable me to pay the increased fees in Sept 25. The only fair way to charge VAT would have been to charge parents from the new intake of year 7's in 2025, allowing parent to make a choice.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.