The Labour Government

It’s hard to disagree with Reeves obvious calculation that taxes must rise or benefits be cut. So far she has just said: “We can’t have things that we can’t pay for.” She spent several years in the Bank of England and is thus orthodox. Watch this space!

If she’s going for orthodox policy then we are fucked. She needs to break with treasury norms and be brave.

Reactions: PPT
If she’s going for orthodox policy then we are fucked. She needs to break with treasury norms and be brave.
That's not in Robot Reeves programming.

Economically she's on the same page as George Osborne. Which suits Starmer because she can take the flak whilst he goes about his business within the party unnoticed.

That's not in Robot Reeves programming.

Economically she's on the same page as George Osborne. Which suits Starmer because she can take the flak whilst he goes about his business within the party unnoticed.

I really hope not. We will get a sense of her approach come October. Ultimately she needs to borrow to invest and stop fussing about her self imposed rules.

I’d be happy if she wants to take another 6-12 months to work out how to invest but she needs to roll the dice at some point. If it all goes to shit least she’d have tried.

I really hope not. We will get a sense of her approach come October. Ultimately she needs to borrow to invest and stop fussing about her self imposed rules.

I’d be happy if she wants to take another 6-12 months to work out how to invest but she needs to roll the dice at some point. If it all goes to shit least she’d have tried.
I'm hoping the plan is get the "pain" out of the way in the first half of the term. A couple of years in some new ideas can be introduced and there's no argument about how they benefit the majority.

I also want to see the details of this "partnership agreement" they want business and unions to have. I don't have an issue with that as I believe strong unions improve corporate governance. I doubt some industries will stick to it when they've had it so good under the Tories dividends wise.

My mum and dad won’t be getting it but then they never needed it because my dad planned for his retirement, he used to laugh when the money came through, in fact he has more money now than he knows what to do with, but he won’t spend it because he’s always been frugal, if you are on pension credits you get it, you know those that did fuck all planning in their working lives and had the personal allowance frozen by those twatty Tories, bringing those pensioners into paying income tax! We keep been told loads of old people have shit loads of money so why give them free cash if they don’t really need it?
The WFA should go to pensioners who don't live in a house within Council Tax bands A-D (Martin Lewis idea) or don't have earnings that take them into the 40% tax bracket.

I'm retired living off my savings at the age of 65, I qualify for the state pension next year. At the moment we have Mrs H's pension of £885 per month so we've been burning through around £18k per year for three years living a relatively modest lifestyle.

The WFA would have been welcome but it's not impacting us too much, however for some on say state pension and maybe a small private pension of say £4K pa that lost allowance (£500 last year for a single person) represents a hefty blow. It's very unfair in my opinion.

The size of the problem is a myth rather than its existence.

It’s certainly politics, it’s all about political choice no matter how much any chancellor wants to convince us they really have no choice.
You have to wait and see what actually happens but it’s a complex calculation to remove current effects of changes. GDP for example is a similar paper calculation and that gets revised all the time but the media and the opposition put great store on ‘recession’ when the final figures are not known.

No they aren’t mate but who’s fault is that, peoples life choices etc plus maybe bad look they ended up in that position, for me fucking off that personal allowance freeze would help bring more money in as a lot of people would then spend that extra cash, by the time it’s up we should be on around £14k beofre any tax paid but it will still be £12570 after 6 years! So they are missing out on people spending £1500 each on the economy, that soon adds up in tax revenue.
This is a bit like when someone says they work in a pub and are struggling to make ends meat and a poster says well don't work in a pub and get a higher paid job. He then logs off grabs his wallet coz he made the right decisions in life and fucks off to the pub.

He expects to be served and get his pint all whilst missing the hypocrisy of the situation. We could also go along the lines of if everyone had the education, intelligence and environment to make these life choices the better paid jobs would have masses of people after them. And with market forces a job like say a firefighter would pay less if one was indeed lucky enough to beat of all the new competition.

Probably best just to enjoy the pint and accept you would be pennies worse off this week if Reeves hadn't taken money off these unmotivated old folk.

Strange how our resident Tories have now decided they're compassionate, isn't it? After well over a decade of abandonment our public sectors are finally receiving commensurate pay, it's good to see.
Don't forget your gold-plated, copper-bottomed, index-linked pensions as well. All paid for by who?

This is a bit like when someone says they work in a pub and are struggling to make ends meat and a poster says well don't work in a pub and get a higher paid job. He then logs off grabs his wallet coz he made the right decisions in life and fucks off to the pub.

He expects to be served and get his pint all whilst missing the hypocrisy of the situation. We could also go along the lines of if everyone had the education, intelligence and environment to make these life choices the better paid jobs would have masses of people after them. And with market forces a job like say a firefighter would pay less if one was indeed lucky enough to beat of all the new competition.

Probably best just to enjoy the pint and accept you would be pennies worse off this week if Reeves hadn't taken money off these unmotivated old folk.
When I left the RAF it was shit pay but I’d had a pension since I was 18, my ex fucked off literally two months later left me with no job, two dogs a mortgage and nothing else, I was royally fucked, but I got a temporary contract with the council on very little, you know what I carried on paying a pension despite that, got a job in a night club 3 nights a week and grafted until i fortunately got in the fire service, again the wage was shit and compared to many others remained shit until I left, everyone thinks we were on £60/70 k a year, when I told them how much I actually got they said they’d never do it for that, again I carried on paying nearly 15% of my wage into a pension. People have nearly 45 years to sort their working life’s out, unless you get a disability there’s no excuse not to get on in something, the same old excuses are meated out same as when I saw a house burned to the ground and we found the owner had no house insurance, ironically the £10 packet of fags that caused the fire would be paid for it! If that guy is working in a pub fair play to them but that should maybe your second job not your first.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.