The Labour Government

Ha, now it looks like Rachel Thieves is going to hit pensioners with moderate pension pots with a limit on how much of the pot can be taken out tax free. Currently it is 25% but Rachel Thieves is looking at putting a limit of 100k on that.
Just as I'm ramping up to retire. a comfortable retirement becomes not so comfortable.
Deep joy!

Last edited:
Reactions: PPT
So he isn’t ever going to return us back into the EU and he is about to launch another period of higher taxation and austerity upon us.

I’m glad I voted for change that’s for sure.

Ha, now it looks like Rachel Thieves is going to hit pensioners with moderate pension pots with a limit on how much of the pot can be taken out tax free. Currently it is 25% but Rachel Thieves is looking at putting a limit of 100k on that.
Just as I'm ramping up to retire. a comfortable retirement becomes not so comfortable.
Deep joy!
Lots of doctors will be leaving soon then

Lots of doctors will be leaving soon then
Of course. I predict mayhem in the NHS if leaks keep coming like this one.
Of course Thieves could put NHS pensioners in the same protected pension bucket as Civil Servants to mitigate the damage.

Last edited:
Of course this is possiblly the Government going through the Treasury options list that each incoming Tory Chanceler said no too.
The big one is road pricing - bound to happen eventually but whoever introduces it will be out of office after the following election for 20+ years. The sense of betrayal by those who have done the right thing and gone green will be palpable.

Yeah of course, get all that. I mentioned Mansion Tax is the same post, which was perhaps confusing.

But back to IHT, for me it's a matter of principle. You either think it is morally right for the state to take money off people when they die, depriving their airs of money that their parents presumably wanted them to have, or you don't. I am in the latter camp. You live your life and pay your taxes, and that should be the end of it IMO. I don't think it's right that when you die the state should say great we can now have even more of that money you've accumulated. Even worse, to change the rules on people AFTER they have made all of their life choices. The holidays they didn't take, the car they didn't buy, the house move they didn't do, so they can give money to their kids and give them a leg up in life. Only to find that Rachel Thieves says thanks very much, glad you've accumulated that cash, we'll have some more of that (laughing as she does it).

So I am not in favour of their being any IHT at all, let alone a reduction in the tax exempt limits.

Yeah loads of people with houses 500k up to millions and above are car less and dont take holidays.

Why do you keep giving out false figures and false scenarios?

Up to you but I was there and the guy from the Red Cross turned up in a new BM and the bloke from Oxfam in a Merc.

4 Old dears turned up from Age Concern who proceeded to spend a couple of hrs trying on shoes and filled the car up they came in with shoes for themselves, but good luck to them. That did make me chuckle.

Yeah, god forbid they had to put a bit of effort in.

I was only teasing about the helicopters, but what you described doesn't reflect the charity sector I know, and it's a shame it's coloured your view for all this time.

Places dealing with second hand clothes and shoes will make money because people give them things for free, which they can then sell, or give away. They want clothes that are clean, or freshly washed, because for a lot it's not financially worth it top get the clothes cleaned and still sell them.

Half the people doing these collections will be volunteers (which is likely with the Age Concern women). Managing a shop for Age UK pays only just above minimum wage, and they pay advice workers maybe 25k. You may well have been identified as a high net worth individual so got a bit of a sales pitch, but even so, it's probably a coincidence that you met a couple of people driving nice cars. I just can't imagine the kind of positions in those charities that would have come with a car like that, or would have paid anything like a big salary, unless you're talking senior management at the head office (remember these are huge organisations, managing thousands of staff members, and working across multiple countries, so the senior management may well be reasonably well paid - although nothing in comparison to equivalent private sector jobs).

The bit of effort is also asking someone to spend money on what isn't exactly a high margin business. Going into a building where the previous owners have abandoned stock and equipment isn't something they would usually do, and if you're not set up it's likely to fail either a value for money test, a risk assessment, or both.

Most charities rely on volunteers, or staff being paid well below private sector rates, and, far from being scams, the vast majority will have an economic impact well beyond the donations they receive.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.