The Labour Government

The going rate for skilled workers is more lucrative now than anytime I can remember. My mates lad is a joiner and earns £25 an hour from the company he works for, a grand a week, my last job in 2012 before I went self employed earned me £40k per year plus car for running a £15m a year business (installing Epos and Data systems in Betting Shops and Building Societies). I'd worked very hard to get to that position often doing 50 plus hours per week. A lad I know is a bricklayer, he charges £300 for a 7 hour day and his "hod carrier" is on £170 a day so you're correct there's many more workers earning near the £80k mark than just a few years ago.

I've been retired for two years now and the way the cost of living is going I may have to get a part time job as only a small part of my pension increased annually and at only 3%. It's an old scheme managed by Aviva.

I'm also a few months of the State pension so I've burned through a few quid in the last two years, this was budgeted for when I retired but straight away because Mrs H is already receiving her state pension we've lost the WFA, we can cope but how much worse is the economy going to get and I wonder how two tier Keir will raise the funds without taxing the working class to the hilt.
Agree - and empathize - with all of that.

The concern for me is that there are not enough super-rich to raise sufficient additional tax revenues off, and as I have said before, they tend to bugger off or rearrange their affairs anyway if you try, so the additional revenue projections tend not to materialise.

So, I worry that in practice, Labour will have to take money off people like you and me who are just about managing, but certainly don't have any "spare" cash to throw around. The idea that you can be prudent with your spending all your life, vs a mate who always spends whatever cash they get, and your "reward" for your prudence is some wanker in government saying, great we'll have some of that. Well, it's deeply disturbing, isn't it. I hope my fears may be unfounded and Starmers message yesterday was carefully planned so that come the budget in October, we all think "oh thank fuck for that, it's not THAT bad".

they wasn't aware of the 22 billion black hole the Tories have left the country in. sacrifices need to be made.
I find that VERY dubious indeed. Not to mention the fact that - if my understanding is correct - a big part of the 22bn, was public sector and NHS pay rises - which the Tory government were not going to pay. So it's only a black hole because Labour have decided to pay it.

Hardly a surprise the Tories have wrecked the country, economy and services after the shambles of the last 14 years.
Anyone with half a brain knew that Labour would be walking into a complete mess and have to make some very tough decisions to get this country back on foot. Just need time and patience - which we know the right wing and Musks army of bots won't allow.

Are you a Sir Keir/Reeves bot?

“very tough decisions” is all so last 14 years it really is. You would think they all sing from the same songbook.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.