The Labour Government

Meanwhile, having babies is so old fashioned.

More over 80s in Italy than under 10s.

Good job it's warmer there.

So, which part of the benefits system would you dismantle and reform first? Don't go down the illegals route because this issue has been around for years. Let's not forget that 40% of those on UC are actually in work. Off you go...

Easy that one. In work benefits. If you’re working full time and the government thinks you can’t afford to live on what you’re being paid then you aren’t being paid enough.

I would expect unemployment to rise but at least we could see the scale of the problem.

Meanwhile, having babies is so old fashioned.

More over 80s in Italy than under 10s.

Good job it's warmer there.
It just costs too much to have a kid these days, you have to admire them saying if I can’t afford one I’m not having one, unlike some sections of society who have them and expect everyone else to pay and raise them.

Easy that one. In work benefits. If you’re working full time and the government thinks you can’t afford to live on what you’re being paid then you aren’t being paid enough.

I would expect unemployment to rise but at least we could see the scale of the problem.
I agree, but PPT considers those people to be "scroungers". Are they?-I don't think so. So unemployment rises and you push even more workers deeper into the benefits system.

Now let's say we go down your route and we push everyone up into a pay bracket where no benefits are required. Premier Inn, for example, are suddenly paying their staff £20+ per hour instead of £12. The room prices rise accordingly, how does this situation pan out? I'm not saying it's not the way we should be going, but merely pointing out the effects of doing so.

Don’t know whether anyone else has experienced this (probably not) but whenever I see the surname of our current Chancellor feature in a headline, I momentarily think the story must be about Vic. Only for a microsecond but I’m not joking.

‘Reeves under growing pressure on winter fuel payments.’

Under pressure from arch-rival turned militant pensioner Graham Lister no doubt.

I agree, but PPT considers those people to be "scroungers". Are they?-I don't think so. So unemployment rises and you push even more workers deeper into the benefits system.

Now let's say we go down your route and we push everyone up into a pay bracket where no benefits are required. Premier Inn, for example, are suddenly paying their staff £20+ per hour instead of £12. The room prices rise accordingly, how does this situation pan out? I'm not saying it's not the way we should be going, but merely pointing out the effects of doing so.

Some people on benefits are ne’er do goods who will happily doss through life. There are also a number of people who game the system working minimum hours for maximum take home pay. Are they in the majority? I wouldn’t think so.

On the plus side increased wages increases tax revenues and greats consumer led growth. Those who game the system will no longer be able to do so (of course some don’t work full hours for childcare etc and we need to cater for those). It will also reduce the burden on the benefits system for those remaining in work.

On the down side increases in pay could [potentially] create inflation to some extent. Inflation isn’t bad, inflation that outstrips pay is and businesses would have to decide if they want to pass costs on or not. They is a strong possibility it will lead to redundancies but that is the nature of the beast - what is the point in the tax payer paying for someone to just be in work? The job either exists or it doesn’t - it can’t exist because somebody else is paying for it. Of course businesses will complain and say how they can’t afford it - not dissimilar to the minimum wage and how that was going to result in huge numbers losing their jobs.

What isn’t right is firms like Tescos earning billions in profits whilst the tax payer props up the salaries of their shop workers.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.