The Labour Government

Sooner or later this new Labour government has to jettison the conspiracy of silence and address the elephant in the room. When Brexit Boston is turning against it , it's surely time for a complete about turn. I reckon a referendum now would produce a 60/40 win for re-entry, but instead of reopening a damaging debate it's time to put this supermajority to good use and by pass the need (especially if polling confirms my beliefs) and show leadership which I think people in the UK really want now.

Anything we didn't know years ago? If the Bloviator is lurking he might want to offer an opinion about the fictional free trade zone etc etc...

Interesting that the French Interior minister didn't shy away from blaming the UKs loosely regulated job market that attracts illegal migration resulting in people risking their lives to cross the channel for a better life. He didnt mention asylum seekers at all.

This is clearly something that UK politicians have clearly shied away from. If we are honest this comes back to France's more strict enforcement of employment laws and right to work and especially their requirement for national ID cards. Employment laws and the right to work are essentially self enforcing in the UK with few checks and we as a country have continued to reject ID cards. Something that Tony Blair suggested to Starmer as a way of controlling illegal migration recently. Perhaps the UK government need to recheck their approach to this problem.

It is a combination of state and insurance funding. The insurance element is fairly highly regulated in other European countries but there maybe an element of copay followed by reimbursement. The problem is the majority of the UK public won’t countenance any change to healthcare funding even if it’s still free at point of delivery and neither Labour nor Tory will risk any change due to the optics.
Its interesting that many people point to places like Sweden and Nordic countries as how the state system should work.

Whilst its only a small amount, if you visit a doctors, need an ambulance or require a stay in hospital in Sweden there is a small surcharge. To see a doctor costs between £8 and £30 but its capped in any 12 month period to around £90 in total. Hospital stays are around £10 per night. There is also a cost for an ambulance on top if one is needed but once again its capped.

There's are no cost if you're under 20 or over 85.

It does make you wonder if by doing something similar it would cut down on people making unnecessary calls. I know a few who work in A&E who have told me anecdotally of people going with a headache and being given a couple of paracetamols, plus those who decide to drink to excess or come unstuck doing "recreational" drugs who then require treatment would at least be paying something back.

Whilst its not the sole answer, the money might allow us to improve the healthcare system, however it would also need more taxation on top to achieve the same doctor & hospital bed ratios per person as Sweden, which is roughly twice as many as the UK.

Update... Just had a look and there are 1.38m doctors appointments per day in the UK, if only 500k were eligible to pay at a figure of £10 per appointment that would over a year (based on 260 working days) equate to £1.3Bn. I dont know the exact figure but lets say a doctor costs the NHS 200k per year, thats 6500 extra doctors you could have or probably three times that many nurses.

Last edited:
No problem with the last paragraph, but the first paragraph makes some giant statistical leaps.

1. That Labour Leave voters were evenly represented in the 70% of Leave voters concerned about immigration. They could all be the 30% of Leave voters not concerned about immigration, and simply anti-EU as it's a capitalist institution.

2. My original comment was based on canvassing - anybody for whom immigration was a strong issue was not going to vote Labour, and of anyone going to vote Labour who had concerns about immigration some were quite likely to blame the Tories for creating the asylum backlog (and for the nasty rhetoric). From hundreds of contacts, only one seemed angry enough for me to think (now) that he might have gone rioting.

What’s the expression there are lies and statistic’s? or summit like that. I get your original post now, appreciate the extra details.

Reactions: Vic
Its interesting that many people point to places like Sweden and Nordic countries as how the state system should work.

Whilst its only a small amount, if you visit a doctors, need an ambulance or require a stay in hospital in Sweden there is a small surcharge. To see a doctor costs between £8 and £30 but its capped in any 12 month period to around £90 in total. Hospital stays are around £10 per night. There is also a cost for an ambulance on top if one is needed but once again its capped.

There's are no cost if you're under 20 or over 85.

It does make you wonder if by doing something similar it would cut down on people making unnecessary calls. I know a few who work in A&E who have told me anecdotally of people going with a headache and being given a couple of paracetamols, plus those who decide to drink to excess or come unstuck doing "recreational" drugs who then require treatment would at least be paying something back.

Whilst its not the sole answer, the money might allow us to improve the healthcare system, however it would also need more taxation on top to achieve the same doctor & hospital bed ratios per person as Sweden, which is roughly twice as many as the UK.

A&E was comparatively empty during COVID lockdowns because people weren’t out on the piss or attempting DIY their talents couldn’t achieve.

You’re spot on that people use it inappropriately- the clue is in the name, accident and emergency. I’d fine any **** who turned up and didn’t fall in to either of those categories however we know that will never happen.

Regarding GP appointments I’d happily pay a bit to see them to help fund it. Those with chronic health conditions should be exempt otherwise those of us that use it infrequently can spare a few bob.

Absolute bollocks, you've showed your true colours and are trying to hide behind your indefensible POV, I hate that "he/she works for me" change your stance, it's shocking tbh.

Yes, that’ll be it, I don’t even know my own perception, you’re absolutely right… Ffs.

If that was my true perception then I wouldn’t be making the entire point I was in that first post, would I?

Last edited:

Interesting that the French Interior minister didn't shy away from blaming the UKs loosely regulated job market that attracts illegal migration resulting in people risking their lives to cross the channel for a better life. He didnt mention asylum seekers at all.

This is clearly something that UK politicians have clearly shied away from. If we are honest this comes back to France's more strict enforcement of employment laws and right to work and especially their requirement for national ID cards. Employment laws and the right to work are essentially self enforcing in the UK with few checks and we as a country have continued to reject ID cards. Something that Tony Blair suggested to Starmer as a way of controlling illegal migration recently. Perhaps the UK government need to recheck their approach to this problem.

Undoubtedly it helps but is that really what motivates people? I’d argue it’s more desperate than that and that there is more than a causal link between Brexit and the channel crossings.

Before Brexit: refused in any EU country - your application ain’t getting accepted in the UK

After Brexit: refused in any EU country - try UK as it’s another roll of the dice.

How many illegal immigrants have committed acts of terrorism? I haven’t checked but my guess is it’s 0. So they are here for a better life and to contribute rather than some horde we need to repel at the gate. So I conclude it’s not the people, but the process, that is the issue and we have to be practical, we can’t stop it. I’d have no issue with us striking a deal with EU on accepting EU granted asylum seekers to UK for those that want to come here (subject to some annual caps on numbers so we don’t fail either those coming here and those already here but there is little to no evidence to suggest hundreds of thousands would want to come here so cap would probably not be met). Any who arrives from an EU country otherwise will be immediately deported to their country of birth without putting them up in a hotel for a year or more and granting them any legal recourse. That would stop the vast majority of small boats. Whilst it would put the burden on EU states to process asylum seekers I’d see no issue with either providing some resources to help process them or cash to fund it.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.