The Labour Government

You did say : "What some people don't realise is the current cost of living increases eats into the savings us FOC's have made to make our retired life comfortable whereby some people in employment are now getting inflation busting pay rises.

A brick layer I know is now charging £300'a day and his "hod carrier" gets £170 a day, equivalent to £40k per year for a labourer."

It did come across as a bit of a moan.!!
I wasn't moaning, I was comparing the management of my generations finances being effectively eroded by the current state of the economy. I'm not in a bad position and I certainly didn't and never have been envious about those better off than myself.

I just want some kind of level playing field especially for the less fortunate Seniors who have worked hard but for whatever reason don't have gold plated private pensions.

Yet weirdly have announced they are doing fuck all for poor people, like I said you're just a tory with a different colour rosette.

The poor will shoulder the costs not big businesses like Amazon and Starbucks. Pensioners. smokers, and this list will go on.

Let’s wait and see.

Sorting out the NHS, public transport, reducing strikes, building new homes and reducing the 22 billion black hole will help poor people.

You only qualify after 10 years

What difference does that make to the comment I made? It's nothing to do with any of the points you made, or that I replied to.

You were talking about people who hadn't "worked a day in their life" benefitting more than those who had a "full stamp".

That's going to be a very small amount of people. As I said, the ONS reckoned it was in the low thousands in 2019. Now bear in mind that there study covered people aged from 16-65, so those people are spread throughout that age range. That suggests that it's going to be an even smaller amount who go through their whole working lives without working.

And the envy of that 'injustice' is more important than the fact that there are a large number of pensioners who are just above the pension credit limit but don't qualify for the WFA?

Are you sure that's what you meant to say? I'm assuming it was perhaps a little bit of hyperbole, because from your other posts I assume that you actually do care more about the people missing out, than any perceived injustice.

Last edited:
Yet weirdly have announced they are doing fuck all for poor people, like I said you're just a tory with a different colour rosette.

The poor will shoulder the costs not big businesses like Amazon and Starbucks. Pensioners. smokers, and this list will go on.

When did they announce they were doing "fuck all for poor people"?

I feel like that would have made the news.

Does a Labour government bring in a final solution policy for them all and the left on here fall over themselves supporting it?

Lots of recent news articles of euthanasia being touted, it wont be long until living past 65 will be considered selfish.

This film is quite prophetic, only the time and date has been moved forward.

MV5BNWFmOGQ3NmItY2QzZC00ODdlLWE2NjMtM2I5YTdjYjk4YjUwXkEyXkFqcGc@._V1_.jpg

You could argue that when the NHS was introduced it cost £5bn a year in today’s terms. Should we bin it off as it’s a bit spenny these days.

Classic avoidance of a serious problem. "When the old age pension was first introduced there were twenty people working for every pensioner. In a few years, there will be only two people working to pay your pension. So pick your two carefully." Or from the EU's Ageing Report: "The old-age dependency ratio is the ratio of the old-age population to the working-age population. This ratio gives an idea about the relative shift between potential retirees and potential workers and thus of how an ageing population alters the balance between beneficiaries and contributors. From about 29% in 2010 in the EU, it rose to 36% in 2022 and would rise further to 59% in 2070, with most of the increase expected already by 2045. Put differently, the EU would go from having nearly thirty people aged 20 to 64 for every ten people aged over 65 years in 2022, to having less than twenty people by 2045."

As for the NHS, it's because of the NHS that people are living so long.

I've said before that pensioner poverty needs dealing with (including anyone who loses wfp but doesn't qualify for pension credit), but most pensioners are not poor. Average pensioner family income is £700 a week (‘pensioner family’ is either a single pensioner or a couple (married or living together) that includes at least one pensioner).

Obviously, some don't want to discuss this.

Sounds like the Tories understood their plan on the NHS and Johnson’s statement on ‘Piling them high’ was part of it.

Classic avoidance of a serious problem. "When the old age pension was first introduced there were twenty people working for every pensioner. In a few years, there will be only two people working to pay your pension. So pick your two carefully." Or from the EU's Ageing Report: "The old-age dependency ratio is the ratio of the old-age population to the working-age population. This ratio gives an idea about the relative shift between potential retirees and potential workers and thus of how an ageing population alters the balance between beneficiaries and contributors. From about 29% in 2010 in the EU, it rose to 36% in 2022 and would rise further to 59% in 2070, with most of the increase expected already by 2045. Put differently, the EU would go from having nearly thirty people aged 20 to 64 for every ten people aged over 65 years in 2022, to having less than twenty people by 2045."

As for the NHS, it's because of the NHS that people are living so long.

I've said before that pensioner poverty needs dealing with (including anyone who loses wfp but doesn't qualify for pension credit), but most pensioners are not poor. Average pensioner family income is £700 a week (‘pensioner family’ is either a single pensioner or a couple (married or living together) that includes at least one pensioner).

Obviously, some don't want to discuss this.

While the 20 to 2 change, and the length of retirement are dramatically different to 1945, it's not all doom and gloom. Pensioners will also be paying tax for longer, and as they get richer, they'll pay more tax. Auto-enrolment has pushed up total pension contributions by a huge amount, and that's going to make an increasing difference, as the biggest jump in contributors has been with young people, whose money will also have the longest time to grow.

There was even some research a while back which suggested that pensioners might already be net contributors to society, despite their health and social care needs.

So, I'd agree that an ageing population is absolutely a huge issue, and a huge change in society, but it may not be quite as worrying as just 2 workers per pensioner, suggests.

While the 20 to 2 change, and the length of retirement are dramatically different to 1945, it's not all doom and gloom. Pensioners will also be paying tax for longer, and as they get richer, they'll pay more tax. Auto-enrolment has pushed up total pension contributions by a huge amount, and that's going to make an increasing difference, as the biggest jump in contributors has been with young people, whose money will also have the longest time to grow.

There was even some research a while back which suggested that pensioners might already be net contributors to society, despite their health and social care needs.

So, I'd agree that an ageing population is absolutely a huge issue, and a huge change in society, but it may not be quite as worrying as just 2 workers per pensioner, suggests.
And, to confirm, if I retire in my early 50s, I’ll still contribute in tax and will spend every penny looking after the family.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.