The Labour Government

From a personal point of view...

- UK Energy makes sense as does renationalised railways.

- The WFA has been bluntly applied and whilst I agree with the principle that those who are wealthy enough should not get it, the cliff edge is not right.

The energy market in the UK is a joke. The consumers are being gouged year after year. Energy companies make huge profits but there is virtually no investmet, that that does go ahead is heavily subsidised / underwritten by the tax payer. Yet no-one is calling out the Energy companies for letting pensioners die of cold.

If energy costs were reasonable the WFA wouldn't be needed by so many. In Q4 in the UK the predicted price for electricity is 22p kWh in Stockholm (mid-price region in Sweden) it is just over 3p kWh. So it will cosy me about £27 to buy the £200 worth of 'leccy the WFA would buy.

The solution that seems to work is progressive energy pricing, where each household gets an allowace at a low price to cover basics and then the cost per kWh increases i stages as use increases. So heating your bedroom is cheap but heating your outdoor pool costs an arm and a leg.

The energy market in the UK is a joke. The consumers are being gouged year after year. Energy companies make huge profits but there is virtually no investmet, that that does go ahead is heavily subsidised / underwritten by the tax payer. Yet no-one is calling out the Energy companies for letting pensioners die of cold.

If energy costs were reasonable the WFA wouldn't be needed by so many. In Q4 in the UK the predicted price for electricity is 22p kWh in Stockholm (mid-price region in Sweden) it is just over 3p kWh. So it will cosy me about £27 to buy the £200 worth of 'leccy the WFA would buy.

The solution that seems to work is progressive energy pricing, where each household gets an allowace at a low price to cover basics and then the cost per kWh increases i stages as use increases. So heating your bedroom is cheap but heating your outdoor pool costs an arm and a leg.

I like that progressive idea.

Labour have committed to bringing Railways back into public ownership ... no need to die on this hill now.
Its not a hill to die on its just what I personally feel is right and wrong. There certainly needs to be reform as we cant sit there whilst other countries are adopting technology which the unions dont like as it either deskills the job or means less staff are required.

I've personal experience of working on rollingstock where the behaviour of some drivers was downright scandalous, deliberately damaging controls so the train had to be withdrawn. When requests were made to have CCTV in drivers cabs the unions threatened strike action. On London Underground (also covered by ASLEF) the trains on the Victoria Line could have been fully automatic but the unions didnt like it, so they had to make it so the trains were driven from Northumberland Park Depot to Severn Sisters and then the ATO (Automatic Train Operation) was designed so the driver had to push 2 buttons all to ensure they were still called "Drivers".

Spot on but Starmer promised the electorate he would put a stop to the energy companies and their practices.

Early days but I don’t see him keeping that promise sadly and yes, in a bleak winter and prices up again he has not only allowed them to do it, he has taken that WFA away for some of those amongst us so in need of a warm house.

It easy to make promises from the sidelines. Once in power, you just try taking big business on and see what happens.

He wouldn’t last a few weeks if he even tried making real change to the system and he knows it.

In that respect, the country is well and truly fucked and the real power isn’t in Westminster that’s for sure, they just do as they are told.

Chippy is reeling you all in , it is not a thread about him, take it to pm, i want to read about labour
I think what you mean Karen is that you want to hear nice things about Labour. There's plenty of discussion about Labour but shall we say not all positive.

As for me reeling them in, I have no desire to talk about the Tories. In fact quite the opposite.

btw I note you spent 19 pages slagging of the Tories in the Conservative Party thread.

I think what you mean Karen is that you want to hear nice things about Labour. There's plenty of discussion about Labour but shall we say not all positive.

As for me reeling them in, I have no desire to talk about the Tories. In fact quite the opposite.

btw I note you spent 19 pages slagging of the Tories in the Conservative Party thread.
Ouch!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.