The Labour Government

You just have to hope that we get some stability with the various roles.

In the ten years before becoming PM, Liz Truss had 6 different Ministerial roles in Education, Environment, Justice, The Treasury, International Trade, and finally the Foreign Office. Schapps had Transport, Home Sec, Business, Energy, and Defence in the last Parliament alone.

Constant rotation to mostly unrelated roles. Is it any wonder that fuck all got done?

It’s usually a sign of party instability or infighting in the cabinet, of course the odd one for being rewarded to a more powerful position is not such. As you say frequent changes doesn’t help ministers get across their brief or plan effectively so nothing gets fixed.

Starmer has reshuffled his team 5 times mostly around the edges with the main ministers having held their brief as shadow since he became leader. Couple of notable exceptions but does on the whole appear to be a case of so far, so good. I’d be surprised if we see any sort of major reshuffle for a good while, if at all if the polls are supportive.

Every developed country has problems with house prices, that aside I would support this is the houses being built were all social housing because otherwise those houses will be snapped up before long and straight into landlords pockets.

Won’t be unless government pays to build them - which they won’t although I’d argue they could reasonably borrow the money to do so.

There are companies out there that advise builders how to maximise private sale houses and prices and minimise the impacts from social housing obligations on the development. It’s a thing.

In short, either we have an ageing population with more care needs and triple-locked pensions to be paid for by a diminishing workforce, or we allow immigration. Call the latter a pyramid scheme if you want, but it's how the cities have grown - from the industrial revolution drawing people to the North, to mechanisation killing rural jobs. My grandfather and his brother "left the land" and migrated to the North - and started a building firm (so provided more infrastructure than they used).

And I've cited umpteen times that immigration often means wealth-building innovation. Just in this region: Beyer-Peacock, Renold Chains, ICI, Ferranti. Even in retail: M&S, and where would Macclesfield be without Arighi-Bianci?

Yeah Vic no one knew things grow with immigration, thanks for that.

Pmsl

Every developed country has problems with house prices, that aside I would support this if the houses being built were all social housing because otherwise those houses will be snapped up before long and straight into landlords pockets.
House builders share prices have all gone up this morning, so I guess the majority won't be social housing

The point is your posts are barely intelligible compared to Angela Rayner’s speech. I don’t really care why.

If you’re going to criticise someone for being unintelligible you really need to be intelligible yourself.
I wouldn't defend his politics because he is just dead wrong imho but comparing a speech with a post on a forum is a tad silly.
It's usually a good sign someone has lost the argument and as you're on solid ground here there really is no need to go down that route.

*I haven't proof read this post even though I have fat thumb syndrome and also think ahead of my typing ability

Setting a target to build 1.5 million homes in this parliament and by changing planning so that the green belt can be built on (some always has ) by designating as Grey belt ( what ever that is) they will find that the nimbys & the eco/greens will tie up the courts and use direct action to try & stop these developments.

I hope they do

House builders share prices have all gone up this morning, so I guess the majority won't be social housing
Why would it not be social housing? The government does not build social houses, housebuilders do.

If the government wants more social housing then they'll get a housebuilder to build the houses, they'll pay the housebuilder for the house and the council/housing associations take over management of the stock.

The biggest obstacle to this is land values, especially in the south. A 2-bed terrace can go for £500k near London, if even 100,000 minimum council houses are built near London then that's £50bn gone already...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.