The Labour Government

"They'll be no return to Austerity."

Bullshit. Prove me wrong at the budget Robot and I'll put my hands up.
She only has 3 options doesn't she. (a) Raise taxes, (b) borrow more, (c) make cuts, or at least limit spending.

The problem with just doing (a) is that she cannot raise enough without adversely impacting normal working people. She cannot (won't) do (b) to fund day-to-day spending. So that leaves (c).

She did sound like a dalek at one point but I think the content of her speech has been quite refreshing. Especially the COVID bit and the focus on tax evasion/avoidance.
What did she say? OF COURSE we should clamp down on tax evasion, which is illegal. Tax avoidance is not only legal, it is sensible. Heck, governments encourage it, for example encouraging you to save by putting money into an ISA. For example, by giving tax breaks on investing in small business. A good thing.

She's got 5 years to show me she's going to do the job. If she proves me wrong I'll put my hands up.
I will be staggered if she is still the chancellor in 5 years time. You shoud have seen the look on her face this morning whilst being grilled by Suzanna Reid. You could read it like a book. It said,

"Fucking hell, I had no idea this governing lark would be as hard as this. I'm used to throwing shit at people, not receiving it."

Apart from anything else, the press are not going to give up on the WFA debacle, so at some point Free Gear Keir is going to have to come out and say "sorry Thieves, it's all your fault, fall on your sword".

She only has 3 options doesn't she. (a) Raise taxes, (b) borrow more, (c) make cuts, or at least limit spending.

The problem with just doing (a) is that she cannot raise enough without adversely impacting normal working people. She cannot (won't) do (b) to fund day-to-day spending. So that leaves (c).

Hasn't she just confirmed this morning, that overall spending won't be cut in real terms?

They've already heavily suggested that wealth taxes will go up quite considerably, and as well as hinting that a lot of investment borrowing will happen without breaking her rules, some reports have suggested the rules themselves will be relaxed (using the "severe situation" as the excuse).

I guess we wait for the budget, although I doubt it'll be presented as any kind of OTT spending splurge, but surely they need to kick on with some of the investment asap.

What did she say? OF COURSE we should clamp down on tax evasion, which is illegal. Tax avoidance is not only legal, it is sensible. Heck, governments encourage it, for example encouraging you to save by putting money into an ISA. For example, by giving tax breaks on investing in small business. A good thing.
She stated that there will be an investigation into the COVID gravy train and a focus on those tax issues.
I guess the full details will have to wait until the budget.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.