The Labour Government

Has the WFA been implemented and the consequences seen?

Some policies seem to be eligible for extrapolated ire, whilst others don’t.

Yes it’s been implemented - the vote was passed last month. Consequences won’t be known until it gets cold, but of course you know that.

Some pensioners will die from conditions associated with cold weather. They do every year. 1m pensioners live on less the £269 a week but aren’t eligible for pension credits. It doesn’t take a genius to work out they are going to struggle, some will get ill and die, I’m sure the Labour apologists on here will argue we don’t know they died from not having the WFA

It’s all too predictable. Extrapolated ire? If you like.

Yes it’s been implemented - the vote was passed last month. Consequences won’t be known until it gets cold, but of course you know that.

Some pensioners will die from conditions associated with cold weather. They do every year. 1m pensioners live on less the £269 a week but aren’t eligible for pension credits. It doesn’t take a genius to work out they are going to struggle, some will get ill and die, I’m sure the Labour apologists on here will argue we don’t know they died from not having the WFA

It’s all too predictable. Extrapolated ire? If you like.
In the same way that any cuts to benefits will no doubt kill some disabled people.

Extrapolated ire.

Suddenly, right wing think tanks are highlighting that Labour will freeze tax thresholds and claiming this breaks the promise not to increase income tax. The Tories froze the thresholds and also said they wouldn't increase income tax.

And of course the BBC carries this hypocrisy as news.

In the same way that any cuts to benefits will no doubt kill some disabled people.

Extrapolated ire.

Yup.

We don’t know what Reeves plans on doing on benefits. I would be very surprised if she does anything given she’s not asking workers to pay, it would be bizarre for her to get those who need support to pay. I’m mostly interested in what she says about borrowing and loosen of the self imposed fiscal rules.

I was joking a few months ago that my pay rise would be wiped out by being put in higher tax band.

I'm starting to think that's what's really going to happen...

I don't mind paying as long as I can see the benefit to all and it's not going into the pockets of corporates contracted to do government work with a bare minimum service.

I was joking a few months ago that my pay rise would be wiped out by being put in higher tax band.

I don't mind paying as long as I can see the benefit to all and it's not going into the pockets of corporates contracted to do government work with a bare minimum service.
Obviously it can't be wiped out by having to pay 40% tax on it.

Suddenly, right wing think tanks are highlighting that Labour will freeze tax thresholds and claiming this breaks the promise not to increase income tax. The Tories froze the thresholds and also said they wouldn't increase income tax.

And of course the BBC carries this hypocrisy as news.

Given current freeze is in place to 2028 I can only think she will announce it this budget to show she is prepared to take politically challenging decisions to secure up the treasury coffers. Otherwise announce it in the 2026 or 2027 budget.

And by politically challenging I mean she’s going to get accused of breaking the manifesto pledge - which I’m not entirely sure is a strong argument so it shouldn’t stick.

Can you detail how a pay rise is "wiped out"?

Yes, a pay rise can take you through tax thresholds but the higher rate only applies to the amount earned above the threshold, not the whole amount.

The more likely scenario is that maybe you're at a level where you may lose other benefits like child allowance or free childcare.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.