The Labour Government

Suddenly, right wing think tanks are highlighting that Labour will freeze tax thresholds and claiming this breaks the promise not to increase income tax. The Tories froze the thresholds and also said they wouldn't increase income tax.

And of course the BBC carries this hypocrisy as news.
You mean those based in Tufton Street who refuse to disclose where their funding come from?

Given current freeze is in place to 2028 I can only think she will announce it this budget to show she is prepared to take politically challenging decisions to secure up the treasury coffers. Otherwise announce it in the 2026 or 2027 budget.

And by politically challenging I mean she’s going to get accused of breaking the manifesto pledge - which I’m not entirely sure is a strong argument so it shouldn’t stick.
It's no argument at all. The Tories have done it with barely a bleat from their media and think tanks. Sunak did hint that they would raise the threshold so people on just the state pension would not pay tax, but that was in their scorched earth phase of promising all sorts that they knew they'd not have to deliver (or budget for).

It's no argument at all. The Tories have done it with barely a bleat from their media and think tanks. Sunak did hint that they would raise the threshold so people on just the state pension would not pay tax, but that was in their scorched earth phase of promising all sorts that they knew they'd not have to deliver (or budget for).

Good point. Raising the bottom point you start paying tax and freezing the others seems a fair policy. She’d get a lot of credit in my book if she did that!

Overall I do think we pay 40% tax for too long and that’s too low a starting point, lift 40% and 45% could come in a bit sooner. Broadest shoulders and all that. She won’t mess with that this side of another GE of course but it’s not very fair currently.

Good point. Raising the bottom point you start paying tax and freezing the others seems a fair policy. She’d get a lot of credit in my book if she did that!

Overall I do think we pay 40% tax for too long and that’s too low a starting point, lift 40% and 45% could come in a bit sooner. Broadest shoulders and all that. She won’t mess with that this side of another GE of course but it’s not very fair currently.
I agree.

£50k is not a massive salary nowadays and it can be unproductive because those kind of salaries fall under the brackets of skilled workers and not rich CEO's who won't care and don't rely upon hourly pay.

I'm at that point myself, I earn just above £50k and I don't bother with overtime because what's the point when 40% is taken from me? It certainly can boost my pension but not really my income.

This is why I'm not surprised that the government gave the train drivers and doctors their payrises, they know they'll get most of it back!

Even if BA have started serving in flight colombian bam bam it's not going to cost that much, so I presume we're in high end booze territory? I'm guessing it was the kind of wine you don't normally get on a BA flight (although I've never been in first so wtf do I know?)

Even if BA have started serving in flight colombian bam bam it's not going to cost that much, so I presume we're in high end booze territory? I'm guessing it was the kind of wine you don't normally get on a BA flight (although I've never been in first so wtf do I know?)

It was a specially chartered plane not a scheduled flight us oinks take.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.