The Leicester City Thread (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they win the title - it will be the biggest shock in sporting history.

whatever happens, they deserve all the plaudits they get.
Nonsense, pure hyperbole. It will be a great story, but nothing close to what you're saying. That quote is Sky and tabloid press at it's best.

Nonsense, pure hyperbole. It will be a great story, but nothing close to what you're saying. That quote is Sky and tabloid press at it's best.

A championship promoted side to win the premiership title ?

they was 5000/1 before the start of the season

...''Nothing close'' to a shock. yeh right.

You didn't say a shock, you said the biggest shock in sporting history. Absolute hyperbole.
It wouldn't be far off the biggest shock in sporting history, could you name any contenders to beat it? I don't think there has been a horse race won by a nag at 5000-1

And I wouldn't accept David v Goliath as that wasn't a sporting event and betting odds weren't on odds finder.

I can't knock them for the results they are getting but had Fat Sam ever had any of his sides anywhere near winning the league playing direct football he would have been slated, constantly.

Is it suddenly ok to play shit football as long as you win stuff? They aren't good to watch imo, they have done very well but will crash and burn next season with Europe, I honestly don't get the love in. It is good how a side that has barely spent compared to us and lots of other teams has done so well however, just don't particularly get the love in.
I think the love in is a result of many people being fed up with always seeing the same old teams topping the PL. They welcome any change to the ever predictable group of top clubs that normally share the titles between them. In a sense I also welcome a little variation. The 70ties were more romantic, when the clubs were on more equal financial terms, and therefore many more clubs could compete for the title. Obviously you cannot turn the clock back, and actually I want City to win everything, so looking at things with blue-tinted specs, it may be better to be a City fan today.
And for what it is worth I also do not like the way Leicester plays football. It is a terrible Italian, defensive, cynical form of football, and I think it would be shameful for the PL where they to go through and win.

A championship promoted side to win the premiership title ?

they was 5000/1 before the start of the season

...''Nothing close'' to a shock. yeh right.
But they weren't promoted from the Championship THIS season were they? If I remember rightly, they just managed to stay in the PL LAST season.

By that argument, you could say West Ham, City, etc, are all "championship promoted sides".

But they weren't promoted from the Championship THIS season were they? If I remember rightly, they just managed to stay in the PL LAST season.

By that argument, you could say West Ham, City, etc, are all "championship promoted sides".
It's pure hyperbole. The media are queuing up to describe as 'biggest shock in the history of sport'. Utter nonsense. In footballing terms, and this is only from my relatively short memory, how about Forest winning the league then back to back European Cups? Or Denmark winning the Euros after not even qualifying? Or Greece winning the Euros? I'm sure there are tons from the boxing and horse racing world's etc, etc.

It's pure hyperbole. The media are queuing up to describe as 'biggest shock in the history of sport'. Utter nonsense. In footballing terms, and this is only from my relatively short memory, how about Forest winning the league then back to back European Cups? Or Denmark winning the Euros after not even qualifying? Or Greece winning the Euros? I'm sure there are tons from the boxing and horse racing world's etc, etc.
Leicester winning the title ahead of clubs who have world class players and have spent complete fortunes on their squads beats, for me, any of those achievements listed there. Completely different game to when Forest achieved what they achieved. Look at Leicesters players, where they came from and for how much and then compare them to ours and the other contenders. Then look at the then laughing stock of a manager they appointed. If he gets that squad of players to win the league ahead of us, Arsenal etc it would be nothing short of a miracle. We saw how hard it was in 2012.

Leicester winning the title ahead of clubs who have world class players and have spent complete fortunes on their squads beats, for me, any of those achievements listed there. Completely different game to when Forest achieved what they achieved. Look at Leicesters players, where they came from and for how much and then compare them to ours and the other contenders. Then look at the then laughing stock of a manager they appointed. If he gets that squad of players to win the league ahead of us, Arsenal etc it would be nothing short of a miracle. We saw how hard it was in 2012.

To be fair if they were competing in the 2012 season it would already be impossible for them to win it. So instantly you can make an argument for the standards slipping, they'd even have to win their last 10 games to win it in the 2014 season. The teams they've been up against this year have been at their worst for quite a while, only Spurs and them are overachieving in this league, just 2 teams which says something. I'm also not buying this financial resources bollocks anymore, yes having money helps but every single team in the premier league has money nowadays, its not like it use to be with just the top 4 having the finances. Just look at the teams who spent the most in January; Stoke, Everton, Norwich, Newcastle, Bournemouth, Watford, Sunderland, I think 10 years ago this would have been quite something but I think we'll see more teams being able to challenge from out of nowhere in years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.