The Lords Prayer advert now banned in cinemas.

Well if he goes about calling virtually everybody else 'feeble and contemptible' sympathy for his affliction is quite gracious.
I did read the article you linked, here's it's punchline: "Conclusion - The New Testament is mostly fiction based on myths, unsubstantiated legends and out right lies. Its hero, Jesus of Nazareth, is a mythological figure who in all probability never existed." I'm not surprised you find that stirring stuff.

Not that bothered about the sensationalist wording of the conclusion, I'm more interested in the glaring inconsistencies in the supposedly common view of the synoptic gospels

Not that bothered about the sensationalist wording of the conclusion, I'm more interested in the glaring inconsistencies in the supposedly common view of the synoptic gospels
No serious student of the biblical sources is under any illusion that they do not contain inconsistencies, contradictions, prophetic inventions, redactions etc. Those are taken into account in the analysis and the consensus reached as described in the article I linked (despite the unfortunate but minor distractions of my former namesake.)

As a regular Church attending and Christian person I found the proposed playing of this Lords Prayer film in cinema's to be quite bizarre and utterly cringeworthy. The erosion of the relevance of the Church in today's modern society together with the ongoing alienation of the Christian faith can only be helped by decisions such as this by those who thought it would be a good idea to do so.

No serious student of the biblical sources is under any illusion that they do not contain inconsistencies, contradictions, prophetic inventions, redactions etc. Those are taken into account in the analysis and the consensus reached as described in the article I linked (despite the unfortunate but minor distractions of my former namesake.)

They are but you know as well as I do it is by no means conclusive and as such remain under suspicion and scrutiny

According to Peter Brierley in his UK Church Statistics 2: 2010-2020 the actual number of churches increased between 2008-2013 and is expected to continue to do so between 2013 and 2020.
  • 2008 total number of churches 49,727
  • 2013 total number of churches 50,660
  • 2020 estimated number of churches 51,275
http://www.eauk.org/church/research...hes-have-opened-or-closed-in-recent-years.cfm

Total Churches (and paid religious staff, naturally) up, total attendances down.

Doesn't quite add up - other than demonstrating the further splintering of the Christian believer's denominations, 275 -> 340 increase in 2008-2013.
How's that possible, surely 'God's' written word is meant to be the manifold truth and accurate (!).
Surely Christians don't need their ever more individualized churches to further try and fit ever more different human interpretations of those stories.

As the entire net increase of churches can be ascribed (as per your link) to small denominations (presumably evangelical), who knows one day, it might lead to more individual human free thinking, when it becomes the level of 1 religious building per Christian.

NB: Church attendance decline would have been steeper, except mainly for the recent large immigration (mainly) from Eastern Europe and Africa.

Total Churches (and paid religious staff, naturally) up, total attendances down.

Doesn't quite add up - other than demonstrating the further splintering of the Christian believer's denominations, 275 -> 340 increase in 2008-2013.
How's that possible, surely 'God's' written word is meant to be the manifold truth and accurate (!).
Surely Christians don't need their ever more individualized churches to further try and fit ever more different human interpretations of those stories.

As the entire net increase of churches can be ascribed (as per your link) to small denominations (presumably evangelical), who knows one day, it might lead to more individual human free thinking, when it becomes the level of 1 religious building per Christian.

NB: Church attendance decline would have been steeper, except mainly for the recent large immigration (mainly) from Eastern Europe and Africa.
Makes me think of De Gaulle's reputed remark, "France is a country of 3 religions and 300 cheeses while Britain is the opposite" - certainly the growth of the Islamic community has provided even more places of worship in addition to the swelling of Roman Catholic congregations.

As a regular Church attending and Christian person I found the proposed playing of this Lords Prayer film in cinema's to be quite bizarre and utterly cringeworthy. The erosion of the relevance of the Church in today's modern society together with the ongoing alienation of the Christian faith can only be helped by decisions such as this by those who thought it would be a good idea to do so.
I know what you mean.

And complete rubbish.
When the church was persecuting people, Britain were colonising and looting countries, murdering loads of people.
Should the people from those countries be allowed to punch you and burn down your home?

What matters is today. The church is far more benign, and the reason so many freely leave it is because unlike certain other religions, you don't face violence for doing so.

I don't believe in God. My wife does. Basic decency demands you respect other's opinions.
No it doesn't. Do you respect paedophiles opinions?

Lifting the tone of the proceedings again I see. Basic decency no barrier to debate on here - religion = paedos or religion = terrorists or religion = feeble minds or religion = cowards. Atheist wrecking crew at work.
Jog on George. Having read the last 15 pages of people far more foolhardy than I thinking they could have reasoned debate with you, only to see your true colours coming through with yet more name calling and bluster, I don't think I'll indulge you.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.