The Manchester Derby Pre match Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
gordondaviesmoustache said:
A few posters seem to be pointing to the earliness in the season of this fixture as reason for its diminished importance: long way to go etc... I believe the opposite is true. Both clubs have more uncertainty at their heart than for several years and are both capable of being propelled in a particular
direction as a consequence of what happens on Sunday.

united have spluttered a little so far, but a win on Sunday would make Moyes' overall start a satisfactory one, given the range of fixtures that he was dealt by the malfunctioning Premier League computer. Lose on Sunday and it's a fairly disastrous start, with no positive results against anyone of note. Moyes big game credentials - already the weakest part of his CV - would be seriously called into question; and rightly so.

City have also had a faltering start, but a win in the Derby would put decent clear daylight between us and united and confine the debacle at Cardiff to the realm of afterthought. Lose, however, and Pellegrini's ability to manage in this country will be seriously questioned by some.

The short number of games played so far will, imo, accentuate the importance of this result, not diminish it. People say the league isn't won in September, but I believe this result could have a profound impact on what happens in May for reasons which extend beyond the three (or one) point(s) accrued.

I'm going 3-1 City. Sunday could be take-off time.

That is the worrying situation for me, if we get beat considerably then I just see Pellegrini struggling to get us going in the league this season.

Champions League seems to be his forte, and is one of the reasons that in my opinion why we will prioritise that competition above all else this season.

sam-caddick said:
A few posters seem to be pointing to the earliness in the season of this fixture as reason for its diminished importance: long way to go etc... I believe the opposite is true. Both clubs have more uncertainty at their heart than for several years and are both capable of being propelled in a particular

united have spluttered a little so far, but a win on Sunday would make Moyes' overall start a satisfactory one, given the range of fixtures that he was dealt by the malfunctioning Premier League computer. Lose on Sunday and it's a fairly disastrous start, with no positive results against anyone of note. Moyes big game credentials - already the weakest part of his CV - would be seriously called into question; and rightly so.

City have also had a faltering start, but a win in the Derby would put decent clear daylight between us and united and confine the debacle at Cardiff to the realm of afterthought. Lose, however, and Pellegrini's ability to manage in this country will be seriously questioned by some.

The short number of games played so far will, imo, accentuate the importance of this result, not diminish it. People say the league isn't won in September, but I believe this result could have a profound impact on what happens in May for reasons which extend beyond the three (or one) point(s) accrued.

That is the worrying situation for me, if we get beat considerably then I just see Pellegrini struggling to get us going in the league this season.

Champions League seems to be his forte, and is one of the reasons that in my opinion why we will prioritise that competition above all else this season.

This is what I've been dreading ever since he took over. I can't help thinking he got the job on the back of taking Malaga to within minutes of the CL semi's. And anyway, I want Bobby and I can't help it.

mammutly said:
Sorry to be so blunt, but I can see no basis for optimism on this one. Looking at how we have performed in the last 3 premier league games against lesser opposition than the rags, I think we are going to lose - badly.

I would be delighted to come on here on Sunday night and crawl over the coals of total abuse that I will hopefully deserve. But head over heart, I can't see that being necessary.

Well I hope you're wrong. One, about the result and two, you're presumption about Kolarov, Garcia et al.

sam-caddick said:

You are an inveterate pessimist though, sam, it has to be said.

sam-caddick said:

haha, saying that mate I do think we will win the more I think about the two teams.

We have home advantage, we are better in possession and now have more balance in attack with Navas now.

The only two things that are bothering me are our left side defensively and our striker not putting their chances away.

Pam said:
This is what I've been dreading ever since he took over. I can't help thinking he got the job on the back of taking Malaga to within minutes of the CL semi's. And anyway, I want Bobby and I can't help it.

He had a good record with Villarreal as well.

At the end of the day, Pam, look at it from the boards point of view, winning the league is a great achievement but it's not going to propel the clubs brand and finances to that of what Mansour, Khaldoon and Ferran desire.

Winning the Champions League is the be all and end all in modern football as it makes the clubs brand huge worldwide and brings in almost endless finances, winning just the league doesn't come anywhere near winning the CL from the boards point of view.

Pam said:
sam-caddick said:

Your going to be wanting him for eternity I am afraid to tell you

Snuff Rooney out and it will be 2-0 City. Problem is he´s playing well under Moyes so might end 2-2

sam-caddick said:
sam-caddick said:

haha, saying that mate I do think we will win the more I think about the two teams.

We have home advantage, we are better in possession and now have more balance in attack with Navas now.

The only two things that are bothering me are our left side defensively and our striker not putting their chances away.

Pam said:

At the end of the day, Pam, look at it from the boards point of view, winning the league is a great achievement but it's not going to propel the clubs brand and finances to that of what Mansour, Khaldoon and Ferran desire.

Winning the Champions League is the be all and end all in modern football as it makes the clubs brand huge worldwide and brings in almost endless finances, winning just the league doesn't come anywhere near winning the CL from the boards point of view.

Winning the CL isn't realistic for us at the moment whereas winning the title is. What we shouldn't do is chuck the kitchen sink at something we almost certainly can't win (not yet, at least) if it means sacrificing stuff we can win. Winning the PL is huge and it gets global attention in its own right these days.

Pam said:
sam-caddick said:

Pam said:

Winning the CL isn't realistic for us at the moment
whereas winning the title is. What we shouldn't do is chuck the kitchen sink at something we almost certainly can't win (not yet, at least) if it means sacrificing stuff we can win. Winning the PL is huge and it gets global attention in its own right these days.

I disagree, Pam.

The only thing that will stop us winning the Champions League is our hunger and mentality, on our day we can beat any team and we should not underestimate the quality we behold.

Dortmund are a great recent example, they finished bottom of their group containing Arsenal, Marseille and Olympiacos two years ago - that was up there in terms of failure with how we performed in last seasons campaign in my opinion, especially with them going into that season being German Champions - the season after Klopp completely revolutionized their mentality and hunger, a hunger that took them nearly all the way.

Dortmund were just unlucky they came up against arguably the best Bayern Munich side in 40 years and a side that will most likely go down as one of truly great European sides.

If we can replicate or better that hunger Dortmund showed, who knows what we could do in the CL this season.

Winning the league gains global attention, but nothing compared to that of winning the Champions League.

When I was a kid, I used to shit myself about derbies. It didn't help that we were rubbish and they were good as I was growing up.

Nowadays I'm a bit more rational about them. Not sure if it's having kids and genuine responsibilities to occupy my mind, or just the fact that it's more of a level playing field these days.

Don't get me wrong, I still get the odd anxiety about injuries, potential line-ups etc in the days preceding a derby (Kolarov against Valencia, for instance) but on the whole I have an almost zen like calm nowadays.

Part of it is the realisation that we can't affect the result (other than support in the stadium) so it seems futile stressing too much over something you have no control over, and partly it's the fact that you can't really predict derbies. It's a cliche, I know, but it is true. I've seen some truly awful City sides over the years comfortably beat far more impressive (on paper at least) United sides so it's a bit of a lottery.

If you lose it always hurts, but the pain is short lived. The ribbing grates for a few days but is soon forgotten. Besides, barring a catastrophe, we'll hopefully never experience the humiliation of, say, a 6-1 defeat at home in a derby.

On to the game itself, hope we go 4-2-3-1 with either Milner or Rodwell holding alongside Fernandinho otherwise I worry we might get overrun in midfield. Yaya needs to start further forward with Silva and Nasri (or Jovetic), and Aguero up top.

As for a prediction, I'll sit on the fence and say a scoring draw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.