the news will get even better

I have to agree with Oaksie2 - I don't particularly want him either. It's not so much how we're perceived, though, that bothers me (although this comes into it a wee bit). Rather, I don't ever want us to a horrible galacticos-purchasing set of hollow-souled dickheads.

If you look at Chelsea, who have ploughed a bit of a path for us, all their best players (Drogba, Essien, Lampard, Cech) have been unearthed and then developed. I'm not saying they were unknowns, or cheap, but they certainly performed better than the SuperStar signings such as Shevchenko (£30m) or Veron. Look at Kaka this season - does he really add €50/60m worth of success to that team?

And finally - I really hope we don't play a 442 again next season (nobody else does it, and we find it really hard to break good teams down). With that in mind, I'm happy with what we've got.

Tevez and Torres would single handedly be the most feared striking partnership in club football in the world. It would be an incredible summer if even one player of this ilk was to come to the club. However, the manner in which Torres has previously spoke about us and the manner in which he seems to come across i don't see him leaving Liverpool to come to Eastlands.

This does leave a small dilemma though, do we concentrate on a huge signing first off which will then further enhance the ability to get better players in other key area's should a huge signing come off. On the other hand, do we aim go for our current targets (Presuming they are all not of the Torres "ilk") and if the huge signing comes off leave ourselves in a weaker position that perhaps we could have been in.

Either way, i expect to see some new faces this summer. Although wether we will see any faces like that of Torres, Villa, Maicon and the rest of the worlds best, I have my doubts. I just don't think we are quite at that table yet, Mind you, i still think we have a much bigger stake at that table than Spurs.

ST Coleridge said:
I have to agree with Oaksie2 - I don't particularly want him either. It's not so much how we're perceived, though, that bothers me (although this comes into it a wee bit). Rather, I don't ever want us to a horrible galacticos-purchasing set of hollow-souled dickheads.

If you look at Chelsea, who have ploughed a bit of a path for us, all their best players (Drogba, Essien, Lampard, Cech) have been unearthed and then developed. I'm not saying they were unknowns, or cheap, but they certainly performed better than the SuperStar signings such as Shevchenko (£30m) or Veron. Look at Kaka this season - does he really add €50/60m worth of success to that team?

And finally - I really hope we don't play a 442 again next season (nobody else does it, and we find it really hard to break good teams down). With that in mind, I'm happy with what we've got.

A succesful team should be able to play both 4-4-2 and 4-5-1. I think we have had alot of success recenly with the 4-4-2 system. Although, i do think a 4-5-1 system is better in certain circumstances.

Also, on Torres and the potential "Galactico" signings you don't want. I actually agree with you, i would much rather see us make our own superstars. But when that "Galactico" is a premiership proven player who seriously knows where the net with both head and feet, has bags of pace, is over 6 ft and is still only 26. It is a slightly different prospect to the thought of signing a Ronaldhino of this world.

Please tell me we're not in for another exciting, but ultimately fruitless and slightly embarressing, pursuit of a rival club's top player? I don't think I can take another Kaka/Terry saga tbh. More to the point, it's the last thing the club needs at the moment.

hgblue said:
Please tell me we're not in for another exciting, but ultimately fruitless and slightly embarressing, pursuit of a rival club's top player? I don't think I can take another Kaka/Terry saga tbh. More to the point, it's the last thing the club needs at the moment.

I think its a bit premature to label Milan and Chelsea as 'rival clubs'. Liverpool are, on the other hand because they are obviously on the decline and look to finish at least 2 places behind us.

hgblue said:

Agree unreservedly with that sentiment. Whatever is going to happen on the Torres front, it needs to happen pre-World Cup. It would be a shame if we ended another transfer window with egg on our faces over the endless pursuit of someone who ultimately was never going to come (which to my mind is what the Terry and Kaka pursuits were).

Having said that, the club must have some indication that CL football wasn't a deal breaker, otherwise they just wouldn't pursue him...

tolmie's hairdoo said:
The failure to reach top four, will have no impact whatsoever on THREE targets we have been working on.

Was teased we would not be down in the dumps for long, assumed this was with being told Khaldoon had put everyone in the loop.

Forget second gear, we will be hitting fifth very very soon.

FERNANDO TORRES (watch this space)

There, I said it!

I'm still waiting for Joe Hart to return early from his loan spell as you promised us all last week, so forgive me for not getting too carried away with this news ;)

Seriously Tolmie, I know you're not a bullshitter but I tend to think it's best to wait until things have been officially announced before getting all excited as no matter how good someone's contacts are, you can't legislate for all manner of things happening that could scupper any potential signing.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.