The Non Political James Timpson thread.

I trust you that's how ;-)
That’s a Timpson trait. For the ex prisoners he employs, there is full training and then he lets them make their own decisions on what they sell, what the prices are etc etc. He gives them his trust.
Some time ago, I had trouble with my walking boots. Called in at Timpsons; they repaired them on the spot at no charge. QED.
PS They have not been able to fix my hips. FOR SALE One pair of good quality walking boots size 12, little used. Going cheap. PM me.

Last edited:
I've posted this before, really good listen, top man John, apart from all the other work he does everyone in his organisation gets their birthday off, compulsory.

Worth spending half an hour to listen, one of the best.

Edit, to play without registering follow this:

Press the play button
Next page hit play again
Click on register
Close register
Hit play.

Last edited:
What's his podcast mate?
The man, the legend gets better every day. I started the thread because I think him and his whole family deserve credit. Then i find out he is a Blue, does Blue podcasts and now sells City key rings.
The next question is......... what's his user name ? I'm going for @Celeste
(See second post on here, got to be)

James Timpson, head of the family shoe repair business has just been made Minister for Prisons by the new Labour Govt.
He left his role as the Chairman for The Prison Reform Trust to undertake his new role.
That's the politics out the way.
James Timpson runs the family company. For 20 years he has been visiting Prisons and recruits ex offenders to run his shops.
His shops also offer to clean, for free, items required for a job interview if you are unemployed.
The Timpson family are one of the top tax payers in the UK.
The Alex Timpson Trust offers free holidays to foster families, this is because his own mum (Alex) and dad fostered over 90 children in a 31 year period.

And best of all, they are Mancs.

What a family.
Timpsons took me on when there were no jobs to be had in the 80's. I think it was James who worked with us for a few weeks as his dad John (top man) had him learning all aspects of the business from the ground up.
The guy that trained me died suddenly at home a few years later. Timpsons paid for funeral etc and still to this day they pay his widow his pension and send a personal card every xmas.

Just shows you that you can still make a fortune without being a twat. Would be nice if more large businesses owners had the same or similar ethics. It certainly used to be like that back in the days of Quakers like Rowntree and Cadbury.

Unfortunately shareholder capitalism does not lend itself to ethical business practices towards workers.

Last edited:
The timpsons, who i have zero dealings with, sound like the robinsons (brewery) who i have loads to do with.
Also big blues and look after staff.

As someone said, you dont have to be a twat to be succesful

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.