The old Kippax remembered

Smashing terrace. Like any stand in any ground, there were undoubtedly times when the atmosphere was flat. But there were plenty of times when it bounced.

Doing the Mexican Wave on a Wednesday night vs Norwich, everyone cheering with their hands up just as Norwich scored - typical City.

The Charlton promotion match when it felt like there was 50,000 on the Kippax alone that day.

The 5-1 - just the best atmosphere I've ever been in.

As a teenager, turning up at 1.30 on a Saturday just to make sure I got my place in the top left next to the away fans.

"Give us a C - CEEE!
Give us an I - AYE!
Give us a T - TEE!!
Give us a quid - FUCK OFF!!""

Winning a corner and everyone shouting "BLUES, BLUES, BLUES, BLUES..."

Just before whichever player took a corner shouting "CIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITY" gradually getting faster.

The man who always got after David White, screaming "get off the fucking pitch White, you're fucking shit. Not fit to wear the shirt" during the warm up! Then shouting "always said he's a good un" every time White scored.

The tunnels. The crash barriers. The stairs up at the back of the stand. Literally scrapping for a pint every half time. The rancid, rancid fucking bogs.

Hairs on the back of me neck stood up just thinking about all the very, very happy memories. Shame the team was fucking rubbish at the time!!

agree with lots strongbow said particulary charlton game. but earier than that i can remember 1973 season -- fa cup run 4th round v liverpool replay on wed night after drawin at anfield -- awesome on kippax -- then 5th round we thoght we had it made -- home draw to sunderland - kippax heaving falling down the steps etc, - ends up 22 draw n replay at roker - n we all know the outcome - n sunderland go on to beat dirty leeds in biggest upset in wembley final. ! but thst year the cup was OURS for the taking -- n that day on the kippax was electric !! god how i miss it !

I loved the old kippax, it had its quiet games but more often than not it was a great place to be, I think it was the sheer size of the place that was unusual as most grounds had a popular end but I cant really remember any other grounds where the whole side was notorious for the noise,
One game that really stands out for me was the 76 league cup semi final when we beat boro (4.0 I think) in a floodlight midweek game & I watched the game sat in the north stand with my dad & the kippax was just a mass of noise, flags & general mayhem (the season after I was old enough to get my kippax season ticket & I stayed there untill it was pulled down),
I remember the feeling in my stomach walking to the ground & every city player having there own song sung before kick off & just the variation & humour of some of the songs,
I know times have to change but I cant really ever see the new place having the same buzz on matchday as the old kippax.

piffy ur right bout the boro 76 match -- i was on the kippax that night -- it was the just couple games after the king was done by scummer buchan in earlier round. we had a quite inexperienced midfield and were down from first leg at boro. the place was buzzin !! willin the blues to wembley and god how they performed 4-0 i recall and onto wembley -- awesome nights never to be forgotten -- kippax stu

I was a very nervous 6 year old in Platt Lane that night vs Boro!

The old scoreboard.. I remember we use to walk around to the kippax
before they put the roof on the north stand..,
crowd4.jpg

citspur6.jpg

kippax.jpg

kippax1.jpg

http://www.rtfract.com/citypast.htm The End of an Era

I dedicated a full page article in "Farewell To Maine Road" to it -

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150108408292816.281383.289818652815&type=3#!/photo.php?fbid=10150333810207816&set=a.10150108408292816.281383.289818652815&type=3&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... =3&theater</a>

Well worth a read. It tells the story of the flag. The Blueprint fanzine guys produced it.

It was 40m x 15m and the article includes an interview about how it was produced, how much it cost etc. Rob Dunford provided all the details (thanks again Rob and everyone connected with the fanzines back then).

If you are not on facebook the link will still let you view the material - there's lots of other City material (such as the story of the Gypsy Curse and how it was lifted) on my facebook site from all of my books. Well worth a look at.

gaudinho's stolen car said:
That is Villa Park. FA Cup semi final 1981, Manchester City v Ipswich Town!<br /><br />-- Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:23 am --<br /><br />
mcfc17.jpg

Best Manchester City Football Club picture ever taken in our entire history!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.