The Piccadilly Gardens Problem

Good video, you can't fully explain the problems with the area whilst leaving out the obvious, although I can see why he did. For my sins I used to work in the office monstrosity in the middle, and the commute to and from, and having to be around there most days was miserable tbh.

Everyone thinks the wall, the grass, the office block, the fountain, the lack of a plan for the areas and the dregs of society that frequent it etc. are the problem at the Gardens… while they all all proper shit, it’s the bus depot that’s the biggest problem.

The bus depot is a dangerous, ugly, dirty, busy shithole with loads of big, dirty, noisy buses constantly moving around. It’s the worst bit of the city centre. It needs fucking off!

Get rid of that and it will transform the area.

Although what that current thing of containers is that’s there at the moment, I have no idea. What a fucking horrible shit show that is. Get it fucked off immediately!

Last edited by a moderator:
St Peter’s Square has been a great success after it’s refurbishment. Lincoln Square has been another success after it’s recent refurbishment. Albert Square is also looking like a like great success, even though only 1/3rd of it is open currently.

The squares all have similar things in common. No grass, less is more street furniture and lighting, nice paving, a limited amount of landscaping and planting, some trees, and large open spaces. They are also maintained very well.

The city council can get it right when it comes to new public spaces, St Peter’s Square, Lincoln Square, and Albert Square prove that. Hopefully they can finally get it right with latest attempt to refurbish Piccadilly Gardens?

August. More of Albert Square is now open. It won’t be fully open until the town hall redevelopment is complete.

A Square should be exactly how you describe it there. Big open spaces with beautiful paving and trees. Maybe the odd statue. With very frequent cleaning.

Nothing else is needed.

All the best squares in Europe are like this. And as you say all our other decent Sqaures are.

Currently, the walk from Piccadilly, through the Gardens, down the first bit of Market Street where the abandoned Debenhams is and the right turn down High Street where the disgusting side of hanging Arndale Centre is, is the worst 1 mile stretch of any city centre in the developed and probably much of the developing world.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is that even if you plated it with gold and paid the RHS several million quid to turn it into the gardening miracle of the North it would still be full of scrotes.

How do you get rid of the scrotes, that's the real question. And there is no easy answer. Well, there is, but it would lie outwith the boundaries of democracy and the rule of law. We live in a sick society, to which any number of things have contributed. This country started going downhill circa 1979 when - to use a metaphor - we collectively decided that it was too expensive to put poison baits in the sewers in sufficient quantity to control the rats.
Get rid of the scrotes by making it a big open space where sight lines are 360° so there are no dodgy enclosures, walls, fences, tunnels or dark corners where drug dealing/taking, muggings and dodgy goings on can take place.

Open the space right up.

You obviously, if you watched the video?

If you didn’t watch they video why comment?

I really hate posters who add nothing to a thread apart from criticising what people post, that other people my find interesting and informative.

And if you didn’t know Mr ‘honestly who cares’, the initial stage of the competition, which attracted 10 entrants, invited expressions of interest to enable entrants’ credentials and experience to be assessed. The six shortlisted teams will now be asked to develop detailed concept designs setting out their ideas.

They are:
Fira Landscape Ltd
LDA Design
Ove Arup and Partners
PLANit-IE Ltd
Studio Egret West Ltd
West 8

The teams will now have until autumn to bring forward their design proposals. The successful design team will be appointed in 2023 to further develop the design with the Council ahead of the appointment of a contractor to carry out the work.

Are you a bit more interested now? If not, don’t bother posting on this thread. You aren’t adding anything positive to it.
The last sentence about parker st is where my indifference comes from.

as long as they use the area as a bus station no matter what they do it will attract the same people who make it an issue now.

Would love the gateway to our city to be the best there is, but the buses need to go.

I am just fed up with the place and the endless conversation that has been going on for 20+ years on how to imporve it (the old gardens was also a shithole by the end and muggers paradise).

How much money has been wasted on consultations and drawing up plans that never come to anythingnthat makes it better.

Also they have promised so much for the area several times and failed to deliver.

Last edited:
Question: Is it still there...... years ago someone came along with a pair of boots and some white paint. The next morning it appeared to suggest that Queen Victoria had got down from her plinth and walked to the ladies loo 200 yards away. For years those footprints were there. I bet some sad fucker from the council had them removed.

?? All the people on here saying get rid if the buses!! Where would they go? It is a major transport hub in the City so where would these people suggest it goes to?

When they removed Ancoats retail park, they should have looked into moving the main bus station there, and pedestrianise great swathes of the city centre. Altho green space would have been nice there, it's obvious they were never gonna do that, now it'll just be some shite offices/apartments.

Small electric buses could have operated from there to shuttle people around the city if they couldn't mooch over from there. City is just clogged with buses now, dirty, noisy and unattractive. Pedestrianise, more green space, just be a much nicer place all round.

I'm sure there's many flaws to this plan, but, was just an idea...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.