The Piccadilly Gardens Problem

The walk to and from Picc Station is usually an ordeal , must be one of the busiest in the country and half of it is blocked by sandwich boards, phone card sellers and homeless people begging or sleeping. Anyone arriving by rail on a first visit must get a very negative impression.

City centres in England tend to be pretty shocking, though Piccadilly Gardens takes the biscuit. Central European & Eastern European cities should be the template. Might as well pave over Piccadilly as its a dump. Best case make it a park, green area - this won't happen of course as it costs money to maintain & council taxes won't support it. Secondly pedestrianise the roads around our Town Hall & make that the focal point with decent cafes & bars, this amazing building could be the centre of our Marienplatz with some investment. Again won't happen until Manchester has more autonomy to do this without relying on Central government/private investment

What is the deal with security at shambles ? do the bars all chuck in for the security at the front ?
Do that at picc, the cafe bars would be heaving so they would earn enough to pay for decent security.

I remember walking through Picaddilly Gardens on a night out and seeing the fat woman squatting down taking a piss in the middle of Piccadilly Gardens.

That would have been my grandma

What is the deal with security at shambles ? do the bars all chuck in for the security at the front ?
Do that at picc, the cafe bars would be heaving so they would earn enough to pay for decent security.
Yes, the Wellie and Sinclairs share the cost ...

I used to love the gardens, when they flattened it out it was ruined, couldn't hide a spliff or skate anymore. Now it's a mess, they could at least turf it right and that monstrosity (not the wall, but that too) that faces Portland St should be demolished. For such a prime location, it's a shithole.

I think the town hall area should be the focal point of Manchester, theyll need to close off all the roads around it though which wont happen. It could look amazing with a bit of work.
Piccadilly gardens though..shithole. I often imagine what people must think stepping out of Piccadilly train station, from there down to Piccadilly gardens is horrible. I think its stupid that all the shit bars like Wave Bar, Yates' are on Portland street too, as thats the first major street visitors will come too when leaving the train station. If those are peoples first experiences of Manchester boozers then i doubt theyll ever come back.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.