The Post General Election Thread

karen7 said:
Oh dear immigration at highest level ever,what happened to no if's no but's 5yrs ago lol

And one of his answers is for landlords to check a tennants immigration status....like in Germany in the 1930;s. It also opens the door for unscrupulous landlords to take advantage of immigrants and also gives them the option of refusing tennants o the grounds of ethnicity.

I really dont think handing landlords this sort of power over peoples lives is his best idea.

No doubt it will be applauded here as this sort of idiocy gets the approval of the nutjob masses

Rascal said:
karen7 said:
Oh dear immigration at highest level ever,what happened to no if's no but's 5yrs ago lol

And one of his answers is for landlords to check a tennants immigration status....like in Germany in the 1930;s. It also opens the door for unscrupulous landlords to take advantage of immigrants and also gives them the option of refusing tennants o the grounds of ethnicity.

I really dont think handing landlords this sort of power over peoples lives is his best idea.

No doubt it will be applauded here as this sort of idiocy gets the approval of the nutjob masses

How dare a landlord have a choice on who lives in their property.

GresleyChris said:
Rascal said:
karen7 said:

Can you remember the "No Blacks, No Irish" signs?

Rascal said:
GresleyChris said:
Rascal said:

I'm not saying it's correct for the landlord to discriminate based on his/her prejudices, I'm pointing out that freedom of choice works both ways

The discrimination still happens despite the anti-discrimination laws as the cases are hard to prove. (employment law in particular)

Outlawing overtly prejudiced choices (like the "no blacks, no Irish" signs) is obviously a given in this day and age, but the landlord (or employer in other scenarios) will still make prejudiced decisions and nothing can be done to stop that.

Stopping the prejudices through education is where the focus should be.

GresleyChris said:

I'm not saying it's correct for the landlord to discriminate based on his/her prejudices, I'm pointing out that freedom of choice works both ways

The discrimination still happens despite the anti-discrimination laws as the cases are hard to prove. (employment law in particular)

Outlawing overtly prejudiced choices (like the "no blacks, no Irish" signs) is obviously a given in this day and age, but the landlord (or employer in other scenarios) will still make prejudiced decisions and nothing can be done to stop that.

Stopping the prejudices through education is where the focus should be.[/quote]

Camerons proposals give free rein for prejudice. That is plainly obvious. Free rein to do something is dangerous and however much you educate somebody it will remain.

A landlord should be a landlord and not a second rate immigration official spying on people to meet the states aims.

Rascal said:
GresleyChris said:
Rascal said:

We had one up when we was selling our house.

Rascal said:
GresleyChris said:

Stopping the prejudices through education is where the focus should be.

Camerons proposals give free rein for prejudice. That is plainly obvious. Free rein to do something is dangerous and however much you educate somebody it will remain.

A landlord should be a landlord and not a second rate immigration official spying on people to meet the states aims.[/quote]

In the real world though, no amount of laws or guidelines stop the prejudices so I don't see why there is such uproar over this policy. Anti-discriminatipn laws are so hard to impose and police. The ideals are what drive the laws and it's not for me to say your ideals are wrong or worse than mine but that's all they are, ideals

In the real world, it happens. Law changes do nothing to stop that, only education can

The landlord checks are a very good idea.

A person who has no right to be in the UK has no right to accommodation.

Our law places various responsibilities on people selling goods and services to the public, and so it is not a radical departure to make landlords do this check.

For example, shop assistants and bar staff have to check a customer's eligibility to buy certain things such as knives and alcoholic drinks. Even a minimum wage worker at Argos can be prosecuted for selling a restricted item to the wrong person, so a landlord is not being treated harshly by these new responsibilities to make sure he rents to someone with the right to live here.

karen7 said:

And what would Labour have done about it? Probably invited more in.

There can be no controlled immigration with our current membership of the EU. It needs reform (that I doubt they'll agree to) or Brexit.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.