The Post Transfer Deadline Day (positive) Thread

Don't forget, KDB has been playing there, too, and Vinny and Stones have both played there before. This is what Pep means when he says he wants players to be able to not only play multiple positions, but also understand what it means to play that position, because every position has different imperatives.

And, I think 3-5-2 and 4-5-1/4-3-3 are our real formations, as with flying full backs, the 4-1-4-1 becomes a 2-1-6-1, leaving us short at the back. That was what we were trying to do last season and were, pardon the pun, at 6s and 7s on the counter!

We have Walker, Danilo and Mendy instead of Clichy and Zaba. We have 7 forwards who are top quality and I think 5 of them should be on the pitch in the advanced positions which a 4-1-4-1 can give.

----------KDB------------Silva/Silva----------

Sterling-------------------------------------Sane

----------------Aguero/Jesus------------------

We have Walker, Danilo and Mendy instead of Clichy and Zaba. We have 7 forwards who are top quality and I think 5 of them should be on the pitch in the advanced positions which a 4-1-4-1 can give.

----------KDB------------Silva/Silva----------

Sterling-------------------------------------Sane

----------------Aguero/Jesus------------------
My take from the Liverpool Pre-Match thread....

Attack (2-1-5-2)

....................Ederson

..........Kompany......Otamendi

................Fernandinho

Walker..Bernardo..KDB..Silva..Mendy

...........Aguero.......Jesus

Collapsing Defence (4-2-3-1/4-5-1)

....................Ederson
Walker....Kompany......Otamendi....Mendy
............Fernandinho....KDB
...Bernardo....Aguero/Jesus*.....Silva
.................Aguero/Jesus*

*Trade off

However, I'm absolutely not opposed to a 3-5-2/5-3-2, swapping out Bernardo for Stones. I think that against an "all-midfield/counter attacking" team like Liverpool, I think it is important to play 2 upfront and play them in the inside right and inside left positions to keep the back four honest and make their forwards work in midfield. They play a supposed 4-3-3, Firminho up top with wingers, but those wingers are really breaking midfielders...but devastating ones on the counter (Sane and Salah). This is why it might be good to go with 3 at the back to allow one of the CB to slide over if the active side FB is caught upfield.

One of the things that is difficult for our own midfield is that Pep likes to switch the play across the field to the opposite sid FB hugging the touchline. We see KDB playing that ball all the time, but if it is cut out, we are wwwiiiiddddeeee open on that side. Accordingly, while the FBs are "flying FBs," it is important that the far side FB stays home to maintain a tight back line UNLESS our DM is in place to cover up. This type of play requires everyone to have their head on a swivel, especially the coordination needed between the midfield and the FBs. Whether we are there today or not, I'm not sure, but that is where we are heading.

CMs have always had that "You go, I'll stay" mentality, but to do that in a team wide basis is much more difficult, because if one player misreads the situation, it becomes plain to see where the wide open spaces are and a good counter attacking team takes advantage of that, as the breaking forwards seek to exploit the space.

The modern game, as played by the likes of Pep, Klopp, Conte and Mourinho, is one of constant motion, rotation, and exploitation of the opposition weaknesses as they arise. All those teams have exceptional strengths, which is why the games become more about pulling players around and out of position than just the old style "one on one" battles of CF vs CB.

What is very interesting to me is that Klopp has built a team in Pep's image, but, in many ways, a bigger, stronger, and perhaps even faster version! I think people write off Liverpool at their peril this season. I'm not sure how much depth he has in the squad, as it looks like they only have 14-15 serious players, and I think their defence is far worse than ours, but their whole game plan is to stop you breaching their midfield and even attacking their back four....again, a Pep trait!

It'll be a very interesting game and one I've opened a few days off for, as it is definitely worth flying thousands of miles to see this one in person, versus watching live in my shorts from the comfort of my armchair and 60 inch UHD TV!!!

Its been a brilliant transfer window.

We have fixed areas of weakness by bringing in genuine quality,and the money we have spent looks to be superb value.To secure such a high percentage of our first choice targets,while shipping out the majority of players who have no future here,is a fanatstic achievement by those responsible.

It was never going to be perfect as the last day was evidence,and we were always going to struggle to fix the issues of seasons gone by,in one summer......so,while slightly frustrating we couldnt get one or two deals over the line,to be angry,or even disappointed,by our business is IMO both unrealistic and grossly unfair.
We go into this new season with an excellent squad(youth may even get a chance!) and the opportunity of much success.

Besides,theres always January :-)

The daily fail reckon the rags doing all their business early in the window was a stroke of genius, no mention of City landing most of their targets before the rags even got out of bed...... Great window for City in my opinion and Sanchez will be here in January or hopefully in the summer for nowt after Arsehole Wanker gets the boot..!

No. You haven't gotten what I said. I don't rate Mangala at all. My first post I said he's one of our worst signings, my second post I said I like every other person don't want him to play. I don't rate him at all, and I know pep doesn't rate him either. But I rather him not play Mangala than put Evans on the field.

Mangala vs Evans? Come on. I'd rather have Mangala out there than Evans. He's an atrocious footballer who struggled against us to keep his teammates in position. I don't buy this sudden Evans hype in the media. He was at the time literally the single downfall of west brom against us. I remembered the match clearly because Kompany was commanding the back and it was a sight to see how poor Evans was not only in his zone but also in telling others what to do. I really thought we would have scored 6 or more judging from how the game was going but Morrison ran his legs off all over the field.

Mangala will never cut it with us because he just loses all his calm and pace when with city. He didn't have that stellar season with Valencia but he was actually a better player in Valencia than he was with us, like during his Porto days. He kept Real Madrid at bay in that Valencia win when Real was battering them with all they've got. But because his performance will never be that good with us for reasons I don't know, he is surplus and should have been sold, whether to fund another CB or other players. But never for a player that is worse than Mangala.

Why are you still talking about Evans!!!?!

I've said Tosin should be ahead of Mangala because Tosin is supposed to have a long term future here and didn't fuck up Peps transfer plans and you keep replying with essays about how you don't like Evans.

Outgoings have been almost perfect. We are stuck with the uselsss Mangala who Pep clearly doesn't rate but other than that and maybe Bravo, we look ok.

Incomings have been great too. Walker, ederson Mendy, Danilo and Silva look like players.

Not getting Sanchez is a huge disappointment though. He could have been the difference.

I think we have left ourselves vulnerable at CB and CF and the season will be defined by Kompany staying fit and Aguero staying fit.

A very good window.

Full back and goalkeeping situations have improved hugely. If Bernardo develops into a worthy successor to Dave (as we all hope), he will prove a momentous signing. We kept Kun, despite the disrespect from a number of quarters.

Best of all, I acquired some new domestic staff on the cheap thanks to @gordondaviesmoustache 's straitened circumstances.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.