The Reckoning

Lots will have known but he was so powerful they didn't say anything. I remember watching an episode of Jim will fix it. There was a group of boy scouts on and Saville's behaviour was extremely odd. He was horrible towards them and it made for uncomfortable viewing. The next day on Piccadilly radio Suzie Mathis mentioned it with somebody who called in ( it may have been Umberto. ) She finished with, " I better not say anymore" and that was that. I was glad I wasn't the only one who noticed it.
Suzie Mathis and Umberto!

btw, I was flabbergasted when Umberto came out. Just goes to show you can’t tell…

Suzie Mathis and Umberto!

btw, I was flabbergasted when Umberto came out. Just goes to show you can’t tell…

Yes remember them? I was on leave at the time and staying at my parents who had her show on the radio. The night before I had watched Jim'll fix it and thought what the fuck during the section with the scouts. I thought more would have been made of it but like everything surrounding that monster it was just ignored.

Ha flabbergasted he was gay, said no one ever lol.

What book was that please mate - I saw it in the end credits, but couldn't make out what it was called

As for the series - very cleverly done on a very sensitive (disgusting) subject matter

Regarding Saville and his dead mother and bodies in the morgue, to my knowledge there are no facts to prove he did have a "fiddle" (although I know where my money would be if I were a betting man)
Hence why the series suggested it happened, but until it is ever proven he interfered, then I understand why it hinted at, rather than show that he did anything
In Plain Sight...by Dan Davies

Savile got away with his vile behaviour for so long as it was glossed over because of his charity fundraising activities and his patronage with establishment figures (Maggie Snatcher and jug eared Charlie). The Daily Mirror has a dossier on him from way back and were going to publish. However, many complainants were of dodgy character (approved school girls etc and no corroborating proof) and the paper previously had to pay Jeffrey Archer very substantial damages (much later refunded after his perjury case). Interestingly the TV advertisements Savile made for road safety (clunk click every trip) and the age of the train are regarded as the most effective and best remembered ever. Still evil bastard who should rot in hell.

Just off topic but The Long Shadow which is on ITV X, all seven episodes about the Yorkshire Ripper was harrowing in parts, the Police led by three different Detectives were a disgrace at times, especially George Oldfield and his sidekick.

For a programme where, like Saville, the outcome is known it really is a great piece of drama. When eventually the Ripper showed his face Mrs H was spooked by it, well worth a watch, some brilliant actors as well.
The Long Shadow was excellent.

Just off topic but The Long Shadow which is on ITV X, all seven episodes about the Yorkshire Ripper was harrowing in parts, the Police led by three different Detectives were a disgrace at times, especially George Oldfield and his sidekick.

For a programme where, like Saville, the outcome is known it really is a great piece of drama. When eventually the Ripper showed his face Mrs H was spooked by it, well worth a watch, some brilliant actors as well.
Just watching it now, one of the biggest hinderances to solving the case was simply the egos of some of the leading detectives wanting to be ‘the man who cracked the case’, unbelievable really now, not so much back then.

‘The Reckoning’, not sure what to make of it really, thought it fell a bit short of the BBC taking any real blame and tried to pass itself off as though they were just naive and too trusting with regards to much of it and certain individuals rather than admitting there was a part of it that was wholly complicit, so not surprised they let this air on there.

Coogan, who I like, was good, but just couldn’t see past some of his ‘Partridgeness’ in much of it, even his walk and run.

Just watching it now, one of the biggest hinderances to solving the case was simply the egos of some of the leading detectives wanting to be ‘the man who cracked the case’, unbelievable really now, not so much back then.

‘The Reckoning’, not sure what to make of it really, thought it fell a bit short of the BBC taking any real blame and tried to pass itself off as though they were just naive and too trusting with regards to much of it and certain individuals rather than admitting there was a part of it that was wholly complicit, so not surprised they let this air on there.

Coogan, who I like, was good, but just couldn’t see past some of his ‘Partridgeness’ in much of it, even his walk and run.
I found the Long Shadow more informative and agree wholeheartedly about the ego’s. It certainly got in the way of finding Sutcliffe earlier. The example being when the second head honcho put the photo fit of Sutcliffe in his desk drawer, completely ignoring it.

I was on a course in Chapeltown in 1980 for 4 weeks, we stayed at the Clock Hotel and the course was held in a training room on the top floor. It was a rough area, a few of us went to a local club one night, the Strager or something similar named. I was having a drink and this big black girl approached me and said “do you want to buy a black skin?” I was 21 and a bit naive, I thought she was trying to sell me a jacket! One of the lads I was with pissed himself laughing ad I bumbled through the conversation. There were plenty of loose women in that area despite the Ripper still not caught at the time.

I found the Long Shadow more informative and agree wholeheartedly about the ego’s. It certainly got in the way of finding Sutcliffe earlier. The example being when the second head honcho put the photo fit of Sutcliffe in his desk drawer, completely ignoring it.

I was on a course in Chapeltown in 1980 for 4 weeks, we stayed at the Clock Hotel and the course was held in a training room on the top floor. It was a rough area, a few of us went to a local club one night, the Strager or something similar named. I was having a drink and this big black girl approached me and said “do you want to buy a black skin?” I was 21 and a bit naive, I thought she was trying to sell me a jacket! One of the lads I was with pissed himself laughing ad I bumbled through the conversation. There were plenty of loose women in that area despite the Ripper still not caught at the time.
I went to uni in Leeds and did a few concerts in Chapeltown, which was still rough in the late 90s. Getting there on a bus wearing a Dinner suit was an interesting experience and got a few weird looks.

I bought the longest coat I could find to travel there in subsequent trips!

I went to uni in Leeds and did a few concerts in Chapeltown, which was still rough in the late 90s. Getting there on a bus wearing a Dinner suit was an interesting experience and got a few weird looks.

I bought the longest coat I could find to travel there in subsequent trips!
Lol, I can imagine that, there was a big Irish pub there called the Fford Green, not sure if it would have been open late 90’s but they did have bands on, did you play there?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.