The Royals - the Commonwealth

It's not just extreme lefties who dont like Royalty. I dont sgree with them or like them. I'm not an extreme leftie. Not at all. I just dont believe in the whole concept of HRH. I dont believe they are "higher" people than you or me.
I am a republican, not because I hate the royals but because they sit at the head of a ludicrous and unfair system of aristocracy, which ensures we stay wedded to class and holds the country back. Up the revolution, bruvvers.

Australia did not propose a President popularly elected, but one chosen by MPs. It is thought that was a key factor in the defeat in the referendum.
OK, thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't 100% sure of the reasons, hence the 'Kinda' comment.

Fundamentally, the monarchy is seen as an anachronism by most young people and the colonies as the remnants of a past steeped in slavery to build a powerful nation at the expense of others. That is why there is a backlash, in addition to the allegations against Andrew and Charles (peerages for donations). As the older generation leaves this mortal coil, there will be more and more questioning of why the monarchy exists.
I agree with this.
Also, in the case of Australia, this countries demographics are rapidly changing leading to more young non European immigrants, who have zero affinity to the British monarchy.

This from Quora;

Due to the current immigration rate the racial demographic is changing rapidly. Currently about 76% of Australians identify as white or European. That number is decreasing and will not increase again. The percentage will decrease fairly rapidly from here on in. The largest cohort of migrants currently are South East Asians at around 40,000 entry's per year. Chinese are second in number. As Australia has a reduced figure of 160,000 immigrants for this year and Morrison is going to take it back to 270,000 per year for next year it will not take long for the non-European component to rise exponentially.

I agree with this.
Also, in the case of Australia, this countries demographics are rapidly changing leading to more young non European immigrants, who have zero affinity to the British monarchy.

This from Quora;

Due to the current immigration rate the racial demographic is changing rapidly. Currently about 76% of Australians identify as white or European. That number is decreasing and will not increase again. The percentage will decrease fairly rapidly from here on in. The largest cohort of migrants currently are South East Asians at around 40,000 entry's per year. Chinese are second in number. As Australia has a reduced figure of 160,000 immigrants for this year and Morrison is going to take it back to 270,000 per year for next year it will not take long for the non-European component to rise exponentially.
Aren't there more Greek decendants than British now?

One of the hymns at the memorial service was the one by John Bunyan, "He Who Would Valiant Be ..." (aka To Be A Pilgrim.) I reckon its words describe pretty well the decades of service that both Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh have given to the country and the Commonwealth. Can't think the same for others in the family (except maybe for Anne) but for those two I'll always say R.I.P. Philip and God Save the Queen.
(Loved that hymn in school, how we'd belt it out in assembly!)

One of the hymns at the memorial service was the one by John Bunyan, "He Who Would Valiant Be ..." (aka To Be A Pilgrim.) I reckon its words describe pretty well the decades of service that both Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh have given to the country and the Commonwealth.
By "service" you mean floating round the world during British winters on the luxurious Royal Yacht shagging spear chucking native girls (subjects) and getting pissed in 3rd world Commonwealth countries ?

:)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.