the sad demise of stretford arndale

Once say a bloke walking through there with the full Matrix leather coat, goth platform boots, studded belt and honest to goodness full blown highlander sword

I give you Droylsden precinct, the concorde toilet facilities are probably the worst in municipal history.

droysden.png

I remember when it opened in about 1970. Tales of its wonders eventually reached Urmston and my friends and I cycled up at lunchtime from the boys' grammar school to have a look at it. We were not disappointed.

I still like it. Obviously the upper tier died out fairly quickly and it is no longer seen as the place to shop but it is OK.

I remember the water feature which people used to throw coins into. As a schoolboy I used to scoop out 2p coins as you could get some sweets with that amount of cash in those days.

That sad little cafe stuck right in the middle of the main floor is a joke though.

I threw 2p coins in that water feature, my mam said those grammar school kids will be along later to nick them, and you can practise kicking the shit out of them, most of them are rag twunts anyway. I hope I didn't knock out many of your teeth.

sadly I'm embarrassed to live in Stretford.
The mall is a disgrace and the whole area of Stretford is a fucking shit tip.
Unbelievably the Muppets at Trafford Council put the council tax up 6% and their leader said Stretford is a nice place to live.
It's a shit hole.

Last time I was there (maybe 10 years ago) it was all pound shops (a bit like Middleton Arndale) but there was a second hand record shop called Reel Around The Fountain that had wonderful supplies of Smiths rarities

So they had all of them ?

Just askin'

What was the clothes shop called, John McHugh ? I remember I could never afford the stuff in there but one day I bought this business brown jacket I had to be about 15, maybe 16, so around 1974. I also started work at Safeways supermarket, I did alright until they told me I had to work Saturdays and City were at home. Unemployment came very quickly and easily to a 16 year old.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.