"The Sancho Narrative" vs patience

On the face of it, yes, you're correct.
But this thread is about reading between the lines at the nuances of young player decision making.
The press gaslit the nation into thinking Sancho was the next big superstar, but the reality is (from folk in the know at City) is he was damaged goods and not enough a team player.
Through that press excitement utd bought him on idiotic wages and fee, without due diligence.
As soon as they get a manager who puts team ethic above all, Sancho doesn't play ball (figuratively, and actually).
His career arc had been predicted years ago. It is now clear Sancho must change his attitude to life, or end up like so many other "could have beens".
My comment was solely to correct the idea that we did anything to "spite Wenger". Sancho hopped off to Dortmund and then as I recall we negotiated the deal to avoid a tribunal deciding the fee.

The "due diligence" comments are so spot on, and a few clubs should take note, Chelsea & the Rags being the obvious cases. City are the model that all modern sides should follow, on and off the pitch, and even though we don't always get it 100% right, the success is there for all to see (there are none so blind). Pep is an absolute God, the greatest of all time, and I hope he stays with us for another 10 years.

Last edited:
Seem to recall watching a short youth team video on ere showing Foden & Sancho’s responses to being substituted I think, along the lines of body language etc, you watch both players now & nothing has changed, one sulks about the pitch (when he gets on it) thinking he’s got football completed, the other runs & runs, smiles and plays for his team mates, with a wardrobe full of accolades. All the noise peaked at international level (going back a few years) driven by the red media trying to unpick our club, Phil just smiled and played his way through it all

I suspect SAncho will be nowhere in a few years time, his game is too confidence based, it's too transient, if he had stayed at City he would have learnt how to be a team player, its the way the game is going... Being skilled isnt enough you have to work hard and understand you need to work hard and get that team ethic. Our players have it or are learning it. I suspect Sancho will be a Neymar at best,. But he will earn lots I suppose.
Very good prediction - can I have next weeks lotto numbers please?

Seem to recall watching a short youth team video on ere showing Foden & Sancho’s responses to being substituted I think, along the lines of body language etc, you watch both players now & nothing has changed, one sulks about the pitch (when he gets on it) thinking he’s got football completed, the other runs & runs, smiles and plays for his team mates, with a wardrobe full of accolades. All the noise peaked at international level (going back a few years) driven by the red media trying to unpick our club, Phil just smiled and played his way through it all
Slight aside, I did the City tour last season, just at the point Haaland had a niggle - we saw him drive past, on his way from his medical checkup.

The guide said the player who gave the most of their own time for the fans (queueing for autographs at CFA etc) was Foden.

Last edited:
What we don't know is what advice the players were given by the wiser and older heads around them, and what assurances the club gave the players. Managers will tell you that there isn't a player to whom they can guarantee a start - although KdB, David Silva, Dave Ewing, Eddie are a few exceptions! - and of the three who had an inflated idea of their value, status and potential within the game it was always gonna be Sancho. He turned down any offer the club made, I understand, and felt he was as good as any player who started in his position. And, of course, the meedya were quick to sow some notional seeds of discontent in the camp. As soon as he got to Dortmund he was hailed as the one who slipped through the City net, setting most facts aside as the media do, and every touch from then on was Cruyffesque - and once the Rags were in the frame they were painting a picture that City had dropped one almighty bollock! I think I've not heard that refrain from the RDAHMeedya for some time!

I can remember a UEFA Youth league match (I think) where Foden came on for Sancho in his very early days with us. Foden stuck his hand out and Sancho blanked him and just pushed past him with a face like thunder. Foden had a puzzled look on his face but just shrugged his shoulders and went on to play his normal game. It pretty much predicated where we are today.

Very good prediction - can I have next weeks lotto numbers please?

Hmm not sure - since he made that prediction, Sancho has won 2 trophies with Dortmund and one with United, racked up 76 G+A in 82 games for Dortmund, got an £80m transfer with a £65m contract.

Not sure id describe that as being “nowhere”, despite his ongoing struggles at United.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.