"The Sancho Narrative" vs patience

And gain splinters. Would he, alongside Foden, get much playing time?

Sancho will earn serious money with his next transfer. I bet his bank balance will be bigger than Foden’s, three years from now.
Maybe. I don't think it is possible to say at this point in time if he did the right thing. Pep has proven in the past that he knows very well how to bring young talents forward - Iniesta, Kimmich etc. - so I don't think staying and working with Pep can be a very big mistake.

Didn't Sancho go on strike to force the move? He didn't turn up for pre-season training and refused to come back to City. We offered him a decent new contract but as he moved abroad Dortmund didn't have to pay the full fee - it was the development fee and so he got a bigger contract. His agent then put out the narrative that he was moving to play first team football whereas an equal true narragtive could be that he moved for more money.

I'm not 100% sure of the above so please correct me if I'm wrong.
Sorry but that’s not true, he has refused to sign his contract, so City said they couldn’t take him on the pre season tour to the States. They told him to take time away to make up his mind, he didn’t strike.

havent read much of the thread but the biggest concern with too many minutes too soon surely has to be confidence. it is better to do the way we have with foden, imo, although it might be frustrating for him and fans at times... januzaj rashford potentially sancho get big exposure too soon. lots of pressure and not many players can handle those ups and downs. we are even taking it slow with sane, who is 23 now? which i am a fan of. ronaldo messi mbappe are the rare exceptions.

Sorry but that’s not true, he has refused to sign his contract, so City said they couldn’t take him on the pre season tour to the States. They told him to take time away to make up his mind, he didn’t strike.
Sorry I apologise but Cobra above has detailed it better than I have

And gain splinters. Would he, alongside Foden, get much playing time?

Sancho will earn serious money with his next transfer. I bet his bank balance will be bigger than Foden’s, three years from now.
By one or two zero's. Some things money can't buy. Foden's in exactly the right place. He's made for life now in monetary terms whatever happens. In footballing terms you tell me where he's better off

Just remember that for every Sancho that leaves to get more playing time and succeed there are a bunch of players like Diaz that leave and don't.

I believe that had Sancho stayed at City he would have been great, it just would have taken longer, but maybe he'd have learnt more in the process. Similarly had Foden left he'd also have great success, probably faster, albeit he'd probably have learnt less in the process.

The point is, the reason why Sancho is successful atm and why Foden will succeed is because they're both incredible young players with what I assume to be incredible work ethics and incredible mentalities. Wherever they went or go, even if they were actively being held back for no purpose other than to stall their careers maliciously (which is the worst case scenario that would never realistically happen), they'd both become great players.

The cream rises to the top.

SNOOZE ALERT

I think there's a reasonable amount of discussion stemming from a huge fear of loss on the most part.

Everyone recognises what a talent Foden is. It looks like if he develops into even half the player people hope he will be he'll end up as a top class midfielder. This season especially, he's shown glimpses at a senior level that there's an absolute gem in there.

So for starters, City fans are desperate for him to succeed. Imagine being a City fan, and having had the last 10 years being told that you support a club with no history, no soul, that's buying it's way to success constantly, that's bad for football. Even if you're above of it all, it's going to wear you down eventually. Then all of a sudden comes along this guy Foden. Now, not only is he an unbelievable talent, but he's from our academy. But not only is he from our academy, but he plays the precise way that the club have envisioned for it's philosophy. But no only does he play the way the club wants, he's also a local lad. But not only is he a local lad, he's also a blue.

All these things (and more) in one player alone gives City fans all the ammo necessary to shut a lot of people up. And even if not, it gives them the peace of mind to know that the disapproving majority of non-City fans are wrong. It gives this whole project from ADUG a new sense of meaning and value that wasn't even conceivable beforehand; I imagine it's the closest equivalent football has to having a baby. It gives the club and the fans a possible poster-boy for generations to come. Basically, for a lot of people, there's a LOT riding on Foden becoming a big success, because who knows when the next player of that sort will come along.

And with that, comes the fear he won't make it because of reasons beyond his control. There's a fear that a legitimately brilliant talent is being held back by not getting enough games, or minutes, or this or that. It's a fact that he'd be better with more minutes under his belt so whenever he's not getting the maximum possible people are going to be upset. People are scared that he'll end up being wasted. And unfortunately, because he's the first of his kind since 2008, we don't really know how this is going to go. There are no precedents to give us any clue. Because we've never seen another player at City like Foden develop into a top talent with whatever the regiment is that he's on, we can only say the absolute truths, that are the more he plays the better he'll be, so let's get that out of the way ASAP.

For England fans, it's similar albeit in a different context. Right now the England midfield is dire (and Henderson :p). We've got a whole horde of fullbacks, a bunch of potentially really good centre backs, Kane, Sterling and Rashford, and then our sad excuse for a midfield. And considering how midfield is such an important part of football, not having a good one stings. And then all of a sudden comes along this possibly once in a generation English midfielder in Foden. He plays with that Spanish style that so loved, with a certain English grit and technicality to boot. The future's bright.

Exceeeeept, he plays for City. That team, that they as non-City fans, have essentially been brainwashed into believing are bad for football. That don't care about youth and whatnot. Just like City fans, they're desperate for him to succeed, but they've all been trained to believe that City is the worst place to do it. If he were at a weaker club, we know he'd play. If he were at United or Liverpool or Tottenham (ie the media favourites), then of course he'd play, as they're paragons of virtue in football. To make matters worse for this narrative, another City youth player (Sancho) has gone off to get games at one of these 'weaker' sides and ended up getting loads of games and looking like he'll turn out to be a real success. So that's their yardstick and they're sticking with to it. Declan Rice's new found fame probably won't help the cause either.

Just like City fans, these England fans are desperate for Foden to succeed and massively fear what will happen if he doesn't. Because despite what they might say there really aren't many alternatives to Foden as of immediate. And like City fans, they have no idea as to whether the program Foden's on is going to work, so they can only want what they know will work and that's him getting gametime. I imagine the sentiment is very similar with Hudson-Odoi at Chelsea, another less than loved club.

Of course there are people that are just looking for some excuse to be derogatory about City, but you just have to see through them. And unfortunately until Foden develops fully this will be an easy stick to beat the club with.

Personally I'm not worried about Foden. I think he's being managed well and by how he's developing I have no fear that he'll turn out to be great eventually. I'm in no rush; Sterling took until he was 23 to truly blossom (looking likely to be similar for Sané and Jesus too) so I know he's got a long way yet.

tl;dr Foden's fine, but the narrative about him having to need more to develop, especially through leaving, is reasonable albeit a tiny bit hysterical and unbalanced for my liking. And it's something the club will always be criticised for so we may as well deal with it, like we've doing so well with all the other shit being thrown our way.

A cracking overview which sums up my feelings entirely... its scares the shit out of the consensus that this model we have, however small, may just work in the long term. He’s a gem who will undoubtedly be polished under the best coach in the game, how frightening to those who have scorned at the idea from day dot...

The machine has be primed for this since ADUG took over, 11 years in the making!

Last edited:
Sancho is a tremendous talent but he is being hyped by the media as clickbait: it's exactly what United and Liverpool supporters want to read. At their level, what matters is how their careers are looked back upon - who has won more medals and goes down in history as a truly great player? No one will remember, or give credence to, how good you were at 18 but didn't quite live up to your potential. Adnan Januzai was supposed to be a future worldy but was hyped beyond his ability because it was clickbait for the United fans. Take care what you wish for as Phil Foden is on his way to being the player we want him to be.

I dont believe in conspiracies tbh. I do believe the editor of such programs have an "angle" to exploit, wether that be City or anyone, but it was clear last nights show and what the directive was.... Expose Foden as not having enough time on the pitch.

What the emotions are behind those decisions are I dont really care but it was obviously one of the things they wanted to exploit even asking Phil himself. It's gutter press shit which used to be a separate entity, nowadays it's standard.
Is the media's job to identify the "story". You can't blame them for doing that it is literally their role. By all means be unhappy with the story they choose to pick, but not at the process.

Schalke finished 2nd in Germany last year and we just pumped seven past them. The standard is lower allowing Sancho to stand out. He did nothing against Spurs, an also ran in England. It's like a player looking good in Scotland or Holland. Samaras scored goals in both leagues but wasn't good enough here.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.