The Southampton Thread!

I wasn't sure on Koeman, his previous managerial experience is hit and miss. His recruitment this summer has been brilliant though, he hasn't completely transformed things or relied on all his former players, he has integrated the best of those he has worked with and those who he knew would suit the league. They sold Lallana and have added Tadic who has been brilliant. They sold Lambert and Pelle has replaced him quite comfortably. They sold Lovren and Alderwereild was a brilliant loan signing. Forster has improved them and Bertrand has settled in very well and fits their style of play and they haven't missed Shaw.

Considering Rodriguez and Ward-Prowse have been injured they've coped really well. They still lack strength in depth but we've seen with Liverpool last season that when you don't have too many games and have a good run without any injuries you can do really well in the league. They've shown great consistency and when you look at ourselves, Arsenal, Liverpool and the rags we've all failed on that front. Even if Saints lose to the "tougher" teams in the league, as they have done so far, they can still make the top 4 this season and can take points from the "tougher" teams at home. It all depends how they cope with a bad spell. It's likely to happen but they're in a great position. I still think the top 4 will be City, Chelsea, Arsenal, rags... but would love if Southampton took that 4th spot!

ifiwasarichfan said:
If I was a Saints fan I would be getting a bit giddy now. Bad news for all there potential rivals for a champions league spot getting injuries to key players.

United - Blind and De Maria
Everton - Barry
Liverpool - Sturridge

I'd be getting very giddy. Rather be giddy and it go tits up than miss the chance.

But the giddiness is realistic;

United - Could come good given their forwards, but a long way to catch up. They'll be lucky to get 5th.
Everton - I'm sure will improve and play catch-up, but again, a lot of catching up to do.
Liverpool - Surely they have unravelled for this season and I can't see them fighting for 4th.
Spurs - A building job rather than a short term fix. Can't see them realistically fighting for 4th.

If they stay in top 4 by the end of the league would it be a point to support FFP, that people don't need to invest in order to be a top club?

nowantads said:
If they stay in top 4 by the end of the league would it be a point to support FFP, that people don't need to invest in order to be a top club?

No at all, cause you can't judge a club in one season.

- Its not a rocket science if you don't create the value within a club and increase your revenues by investing massively you will not be able to attract top players and hold them when you develop them cause someone else is going to pay the more.

- You can't keep replacing you top player every year if they leave.

- look Liverpool spend a lot but even with that they cannot get the A class players cause they will need to pay them more

- Nowadays a revenue between 100 and 150 its not what makes you a top club (challenge regularly ) expect Portugal (Porto and Benfica)

Anyway beside money, the technical aspect play a major role also there is no doubt about that

Seems like they are going to have a bit of a fall. It's a problem that the smaller teams have. They lack the quality in depth to replace players when they get tired or hit a dip. Just like against Villa they lacked that extra bit of quality going forward. I am sure that Tadic was providing that at the start of the season, but he has gone off the boil and so has Pelle. Now Schniederlin is injured. Would be a great season if they could finish in the top or seventh and get into Europe.

Ducado said:
They will not finish top 4
They won't finish Top 6 mate.

I have never seen a team handed the advantage of the oppo being down to ten men and fall apart like that in 40 years of watching football.

Other than spuds against us in the FA cup.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.