The spending is not over!

Plain Speaking said:
Big Dave Watson said:
BluessinceHydeRoad said:
Manchester City

Manchester City were always going to loosen their belts after last season’s trophyless campaign led to the departure of manager Roberto Mancini. But the Italian’s successor Manuel Pellegrini has been hung out to dry by a reckless spending spree. Having already disposed with €111m, only Monaco have spent more this window. Yet City’s current squad is arguably weaker now than it was when it flopped so horribly in Europe last term.

The signings of Alvaro Negredo and Stevan Jovetic at a combined cost of over €50m smacked of desperation following the failure to capture primary targets. These are forwards far inferior to their predecessors Mario Balotelli and Carlos Tevez who departed for just €28m. Brazilian midfielder Fernandinho, at €40m, was also horribly overpriced and only Sevilla winger Jesus Navas at €20m can be regarded as good business. All of City’s arrivals will perform adequately, but a club with the ambitions of challenging for the Champions League must set the bar much higher. Pellegrini's men are currently light-years behind Bayern and Real Madrid.

From "The winners and losers of the transfer window so far" on Goal.com this morning!

Hmm, obviously the twat who wrote this didn't hear Mourinhos comments about our signings. I know who I would rather listen to.
Taking my blue spectacles off and trying to be objective. The players we have bought were not on the very top of our wish list, irrespective of finance. Our purchases are a result of FFP. They are largely "not proven" at the highest level. With United appointing ex-officals/directors in most influential seats in football it may prove difficult to get round FFP. Not complaining it's just reality!

Not sure I'd agree with that. Navas and Fernandinho were definitely top of our wish list hence the early pursuit, in both cases long before Mancini was sacked.

Isco was def on the list but I think in Jovetic we've actually done a better deal, he's only slightly older, more experienced and equally as skilfull.

The press say we were interested in Falcao and Cavani and of the 2 we probably did enquire about Cavani but, quite rightly, we weren't prepared to pay the ridiculous amount Napoli wanted for him. Negredo may be a whisker or two below Cavani but I think he'll adapt better to us than Cavani would have .

BluessinceHydeRoad said:
Manchester City

Manchester City were always going to loosen their belts after last season’s trophyless campaign led to the departure of manager Roberto Mancini. But the Italian’s successor Manuel Pellegrini has been hung out to dry by a reckless spending spree. Having already disposed with €111m, only Monaco have spent more this window. Yet City’s current squad is arguably weaker now than it was when it flopped so horribly in Europe last term.

The signings of Alvaro Negredo and Stevan Jovetic at a combined cost of over €50m smacked of desperation following the failure to capture primary targets. These are forwards far inferior to their predecessors Mario Balotelli and Carlos Tevez who departed for just €28m. Brazilian midfielder Fernandinho, at €40m, was also horribly overpriced and only Sevilla winger Jesus Navas at €20m can be regarded as good business. All of City’s arrivals will perform adequately, but a club with the ambitions of challenging for the Champions League must set the bar much higher. Pellegrini's men are currently light-years behind Bayern and Real Madrid.

From "The winners and losers of the transfer window so far" on Goal.com this morning!

When I first read that I honestly assumed it had been put together by a City fan as a means of taking the piss out of the press!!

woolleyback blue said:
Plain Speaking said:
Big Dave Watson said:
Hmm, obviously the twat who wrote this didn't hear Mourinhos comments about our signings. I know who I would rather listen to.
Taking my blue spectacles off and trying to be objective. The players we have bought were not on the very top of our wish list, irrespective of finance,(perhaps Fernadinho excepted?).
Our purchases are a result of FFP. They are largely "not proven" at the highest level. With United appointing ex-officals/directors in most influential seats in football it may prove difficult to get round FFP. Not complaining it's just reality!

Not sure I'd agree with that. Navas and Fernandinho were definitely top of our wish list hence the early pursuit, in both cases long before Mancini was sacked.

Isco was def on the list but I think in Jovetic we've actually done a better deal, he's only slightly older, more experienced and equally as skilfull.

The press say we were interested in Falcao and Cavani and of the 2 we probably did enquire about Cavani but, quite rightly, we weren't prepared to pay the ridiculous amount Napoli wanted for him. Negredo may be a whisker or two below Cavani but I think he'll adapt better to us than Cavani would have .
Fair comment. I feel we have made sensible buys considering FFP.

City fan touches a nerve in the comments section of the Sky City Spending story!

<a class="postlink" href="http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/8841185/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/8841185/</a>

skysports_zpsaae5c429.jpg

tolmie's hairdoo said:
A fun few weeks still be had.

Great for City.

Not so good for the transfer forum.

Fecking terrible for our rivals.

Could we have a marquee signing?

Plain Speaking said:
Big Dave Watson said:
BluessinceHydeRoad said:
Manchester City

Taking my blue spectacles off and trying to be objective. The players we have bought were not on the very top of our wish list, irrespective of finance, (perhaps Fernadinho excepted?).
Our purchases are a result of FFP. They are largely "not proven" at the highest level. With United appointing ex-officals/directors in most influential seats in football it may prove difficult to get round FFP. Not complaining it's just reality!

Our club has always said that it will have no problems with FFPR, even if these new regs are enforceable (which is impossible). Then we have the problem of who exactly was at the top of our wish list! Cavani fell off it pretty quickly because he cost way too much and we were never interested in Falcao. Isco? Fair enough. But we have persued Fernandinho for months and the same goes for Navas. Jovetic is a long term target and may go back over a year. Pellegrini rates Negredo. I don't know who is "not proven" if Negredo's record in Spain doesn't count, or Navas's world cup winner's medal means nothing or any of the judgement's on Jovetic's potential are just hot air. Unless, of course, we're back to Messi and Ronaldo. I don't know how we'll do in the PL (Jose found La Liga a bit more difficult than he thought) but the players we have brought in seem pretty good to me, and they'll do better that Tiago at OT.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.