The standard of written English on this forum

MCFC BOB said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
I've often said we need potential posters to sit an entrance exam before they come on here.

Something like...

1) Put the words "there", "their" and "they're" in the right position in the following sentence:
My friends are going to CoMS as __(a)__ going to buy __(b)__ tickets __(c)__.

2) Which of the following is correct:
a)Gary Cook b)Gary Cooke, c)Garry Cook, d)Garry Cooke.

3) Is Jo cup-tied?
a)Yes b)No c)Depends d)Who cares

4) You buy a ticket for an away game at £48, three pints at £3.90 each, a balti pie for £3.50, a programme for £3 and a home shirt reduced to £25 (which you get 10% extra off as a season ticket holder). How much change do you have from £100.
You didn't put a question mark after 'd)Who cares' on Question 3.
Because it was not a question. It is the right answer ;)

Joycee Banercheck said:
MCFC BOB said:
For the record, I've never seen anyone call him 'Bellemy'.

But it could still be the case. Maybe some people can't spell Bellamy's name correctly, but who are we to call them up on it if they genuinely cannot spell his name? If it isn't neccesarily their fault, then who are we to question their intelligence?

I don't mind. As long as it isn't slurred to the point where it's impossible to read, I'm fine with it. I know that as long as I punctuate properly for the remainder of my working years then I'll be the one who gets the job over someone who doesn't punctuate properly, so to speak.
Not too sure about that, mate. I'm currently doing a degree (mature student - 30 years old) and the standard of spelling from some of the other students of all ages is varied. I don't think there's as much emphasis on the written aspects of the course, more the learning of the subject. That's fair enough I suppose as degrees are subject-specific. However, imagine someone with a law degree sending you a letter with typographical errors all over the shop. You couldn't take it seriously. Yet people who can't spell will obtain degrees in all manner of subjects (rightly so if they know the subject inside out) so spelling these days doesn't give you any advantage at all.

In my opinion, language is evolving. The advent of technology has increased this and also made it globally accessible. The mobile phone was invented with text features as a tool that the inventors of the device never thought would catch on. Just 20 years on and not only do people text more than phone, a new language has been created and gradually evolved to acronyms and abbreviations. Technology influencing society or the other way round?

I agree that language is evolving (mainly through American influences - s instead of z etc.), but at some point people (no matter what subject they have studied) have to express themselves on paper (or in electronic format) in a manner befitting their degree therefore the emphasis should be on standards.

How happy would your younger colleagues be if their text books at University used "text speak" to present information? Not very, I wager.

I, for one, am sick of people murdering the English language and the written word due to laziness on their behalf. Get a bloody dictionary for crying out loud.

Second rant over- crikey I really need to check my blood pressure ;-)

I'm very happy with my written and verbal communication skills... i'm no linguist but i'd like to think i'm more than adequate in that department.

On here, i'll make plenty of spelling mistakes and gramatical errors... i'm more concerned about getting my point onto the forum in a free second i have.

I remember the kippax said:
Joycee Banercheck said:
Not too sure about that, mate. I'm currently doing a degree (mature student - 30 years old) and the standard of spelling from some of the other students of all ages is varied. I don't think there's as much emphasis on the written aspects of the course, more the learning of the subject. That's fair enough I suppose as degrees are subject-specific. However, imagine someone with a law degree sending you a letter with typographical errors all over the shop. You couldn't take it seriously. Yet people who can't spell will obtain degrees in all manner of subjects (rightly so if they know the subject inside out) so spelling these days doesn't give you any advantage at all.

In my opinion, language is evolving. The advent of technology has increased this and also made it globally accessible. The mobile phone was invented with text features as a tool that the inventors of the device never thought would catch on. Just 20 years on and not only do people text more than phone, a new language has been created and gradually evolved to acronyms and abbreviations. Technology influencing society or the other way round?

I agree that language is evolving (mainly through American influences - s instead of z etc.), but at some point people (no matter what subject they have studied) have to express themselves on paper (or in electronic format) in a manner befitting their degree therefore the emphasis should be on standards.

How happy would your younger colleagues be if their text books at University used "text speak" to present information? Not very, I wager.

I, for one, am sick of people murdering the English language and the written word due to laziness on their behalf. Get a bloody dictionary for crying out loud.

'You only speak one language, so speak it properly'.

I remember the kippax said:
Joycee Banercheck said:

Language evolves and changes over time, meanings change, some words that are well known and used to be be common standard get vulgarised and therefore unacceptable in common parlance, you soft cuente

GStar said:
I'm very happy with my written and verbal communication skills... i'm no linguist but i'd like to think i'm more than adequate in that department.

On here, i'll make plenty of spelling mistakes and gramatical errors... i'm more concerned about getting my point onto the forum in a free second i have.

Brilliant !!!!
Glad someones not bothered.
Not a piss take on you,but if you not read my post about 2 pages back,you`ll see where I`m coming from.
Thanks for your honesty !!

oakiecokie said:
GStar said:

Brilliant !!!!
Not a piss take on you,but if you not read my post about 2 pages back,you`ll see where I`m coming from.
I don't particularly mind how the sentence is structured, just as long as I can read it.

MCFC BOB said:
oakiecokie said:
Brilliant !!!!
I don't particularly mind how the sentence is structured, just as long as I can read it.
Bob you are so wrong, everybody should speak the Queens English, like what us does !

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.