The Super League | FA + PL: New Charter & Fines | UEFA: Settlement

Would you be happy if City joined this European Super League?

• Yes

Votes: 109 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,954 94.7%

• Total voters

“City are a real asset for the game”

Commendables

Centurions

Fourmidables

Impeccables

UEFA president releases statement showing 'delight' at welcoming Man City back to 'European football family'​

UEFA president Aleksander Čeferin has revealed his 'delight' at welcoming back Manchester City to the 'European football family', after the club confirmed their withdrawal from plans to create a European Super League on Tuesday night.

UEFA president Aleksander Čeferin has revealed his 'delight' at welcoming back Manchester City to the 'European football family', after the club confirmed their withdrawal from plans to create a European Super League on Tuesday night.

Speaking in an official UEFA statement released to the press, Čeferin said:

"I am delighted to welcome City back to the European football family."

"They have shown great intelligence in listening to the many voices - most notably their fans - that have spelled out the vital benefits that the current system has for the whole of European football; from the world beating Champions League final right down to a young player's first coaching session at a grassroots club."

"As I said at the UEFA congress, it takes courage to admit a mistake but I have never doubted that they [Manchester City] had the ability and common sense to make that decision."

"Manchester City are a real asset for the game and I am delighted to be working with them for a better future for the European game."

In addition to the aforementioned parties, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has also commended both Manchester City and Chelsea for making the decision to leave the European Super League.

Exactly. By your own logic then, would it not leave room to believe that we were miss sold this or at the very least given an minimal amount time to properly do our homework. Sold a fixed job by people only invested in greed.
That's the only conclusion but as yet we only have speculation and no facts or excuse from the club

We have been involved in super league discussions for years. in my view it’s only the timing of the announcement and the accelerated coercion and some important self serving details in the proposal that may have caught us on the hop. There is no honour here and I expect little trust going forward. See Chelsea breaking ranks with us alone yesterday to report first to see what a group of pirates these owners are.

The long term proper fight starts now with the revamped. Chumps Lge. It will be very messy and the first task is to wake people up from their euphoria and help them realise the challenge has merely been delayed.

in the meantime I just hope the players can concentrate and bring in some trophy’s to give all of us some short term happiness. The very bitterest taste from all of this crap will be is if the Scum sneak in and take the title.

The lack of emotional intelligence and self awareness is incredible. City reeling off a run of titles will kill football... written by a fan of a club when funded by a Pools empire completely dominated football and hailed that as good for the game.

so true.

this is the same club who run away with the league last season complaining again because they have been found out?

They are precious.

Not sure what some of you are expecting the club to do or say? They made an error, a fairly serious one as it goes but more importantly they rectified it almost immediately.
I'm more than happy to accept they had the clubs future and best interests in mind throughout all of this grubby little episode even if it's a bitter pill to swallow.
The truth is, fans have been getting the short end of the shitty stick for a fair few years now. It started long before our takeover and will no doubt continue after our owners call it a day.
Football is big business and with big business comes ruthless businessmen who only care about the bottom line.
Now for some clubs that means their owners won't give one shiny fuck about their supporters but I don't get that feeling with ours.
I think they have our best interests at heart and whilst this is certainly a black mark against them it's far from unforgivable.
Time to move on a win some fucking trophies.

In relation to the two clubs respective statements, yes Arsenals statement is more explanatory, more designed to appease fans and build bridges and that was the only point I was making.

Hopefully the club will address this today and provide more than a 21 word statement, saying we have withdrawn.
But it's completely hollow, they don't withdraw if us and Chelsea hadn't already been doing so.

I don't think our owners misjudged how the fans would take it. This plan put them in a bad position, the current status quo is to our benefit but if Super League got going we would have to be in it or we would become irrelevant.

Unlike Bayern or PSG they would have joined but would have been allowed at a later date, they can wait to see which way the wind blows and join 'reluctantly' later. As English teams were likely to be over represented we didnt have that luxury. Sign up now or forever outside.

If we sign up and it went ahead we were in. If it failed well everyone already hates us so we lose little. But the potential gains of failure should not be over estimated - removing a couple of senior UEFA executives who have previously tried to stop us, to cause PR problems at the established History clubs that the media love and who have actively tried to stop us (as part of the hateful 8 / 9), to reduce the ability of the big 2 spanish clubs to finance transfers. Our owners will have judged these things.

They didn't tell fans, or players, as it would have leaked. For all we know we phoned Cerafin to keep him informed, and to ensure that the snakes were removed - we dont know. By leaving first, with Chelsea (who I think are in a similar position to us with regards to this), we minimise our exposure as much as possible and allow UEFA to see us as the lesser of the evils.

Was this a good thing to do no, but it is totally understandable.
As much as I like the idea that this was a ploy by City and Ceferin to clear the decks of some of the corrupt twats at UEFA who tried to fuck us over last year, I think it's more than a little far fetched. However, there's quite possibly some truth in the bit I've bolded. It could be that we signed up but were also communicating with Ceferin all along - telling him we did it reluctantly and it didn't necessarily mean we were turning our backs on UEFA for good, proceeded to leak info to him from the inside. It's noticeable that in all his criticism the other day he never mentioned City by name, and that statement he made last night straight after City officially announced we were pulling out (almost literally at the same time as our club statement hmmmmm...) couldn't have blown any more smoke up City's arse if he tried. I mean, has he come out and said anything equally gushing about the other 5 clubs? ;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.