The Super League | FA + PL: New Charter & Fines | UEFA: Settlement

Would you be happy if City joined this European Super League?

• Yes

Votes: 109 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,954 94.7%

• Total voters
Except, it's playing the lesser teams that make the 'big' games exciting. If you're playing them every week, and only them (no promotion/relegation), it'll quickly become boring

Why? I don’t agree with your opinion. Learn to accept that most everyone else here doesn’t either.

As such, maybe YOU should accept the different opinion that the vast majority hold.

I think there's a solution that makes both you two and @Nihilist happy which is if a Super League was a replacement for the CL (which it was afterall).

You still get your bread and butter fixtures against teams up and down the country which matter, but you also would get a much higher level of European match.

Too much of the CL as it exists is filler. Of the 32 group stage clubs, realistically 20 are actually trying to get to the last 16, the rest are just hoping for 3rd or a freak qualification or making up the numbers.

I could definitely be persuaded to go for a European competition that was more league-y, so less reliant on KO matches which aren't a great way of determining the best club, and had all the filler cut out so every game mattered.

The problem is scheduling/number of games and access. You can't add any more games, so no more than 13 for a finalist, and you want a way for clubs to get into the competition fairly.

Domestically the only change I'd think has merit is maybe knocking the PL down to 18 teams and freeing up a bit more space on the calendar. I'd prefer that than all the things that are done to cram everything in like getting rid of the 2 legged EFL semi-s, playing FA Cup games midweek and killing off replays or forcing clubs into 4 match weeks if they get too far in all comps.

I think there's a solution that makes both you two and @Nihilist happy which is if a Super League was a replacement for the CL (which it was afterall).

You still get your bread and butter fixtures against teams up and down the country which matter, but you also would get a much higher level of European match.

Too much of the CL as it exists is filler. Of the 32 group stage clubs, realistically 20 are actually trying to get to the last 16, the rest are just hoping for 3rd or a freak qualification or making up the numbers.

I could definitely be persuaded to go for a European competition that was more league-y, so less reliant on KO matches which aren't a great way of determining the best club, and had all the filler cut out so every game mattered.

The problem is scheduling/number of games and access. You can't add any more games, so no more than 13 for a finalist, and you want a way for clubs to get into the competition fairly.

Domestically the only change I'd think has merit is maybe knocking the PL down to 18 teams and freeing up a bit more space on the calendar. I'd prefer that than all the things that are done to cram everything in like getting rid of the 2 legged EFL semi-s, playing FA Cup games midweek and killing off replays or forcing clubs into 4 match weeks if they get too far in all comps.
But that misses the main issue people had with the SL - guaranteed places for the founder members, forever. And that the other places were by discretional invitation (iirc).

you could possibly argue that the clubs were 100% likely to always qualify from their winning or coming near top of their leagues, but then you see what happens with Barcelona, juventus, Arsenal and Tottenham this season and you have to further question the closed shop idea.

the invited teams would just be cannon fodder, unless they became repeated annual invites, further making the competition closed shop, and if it was not the same invited teams every year, then it’s pushing the founders quality level further away from the poor cannon fodder.

I hanker for the old EC rather than the CL, but that’s a pre-money running everything pipedream. a fair and equitable SL (of champions) might have been better than the CL or EC.

eg off the top of my head:
Participant in that SL would probably have to be removed from competing in domestic cups to free up their fixture congestion. SL matches all take place in neutral grounds (to allow for only 1 match between clubs), which means they can have the el debto in Malaysia…

Got a feeling our battle with UEFA is only just beginning to be honest.

They'll just get more desperate, nasty and aggressive the longer we take their money.

I'm 100% sure we're going to get hit by this super league bullshit worse than anyone else, because we're the only ones they want to damage.
Aren’t we supposed to be on good terms with Ceferin now?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.