The Super League | FA + PL: New Charter & Fines | UEFA: Settlement

Would you be happy if City joined this European Super League?

• Yes

Votes: 109 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,954 94.7%

• Total voters
The clubs don't hold all the cards though. You say they don't need the PL but the PL needs them, this isn't true. The PL would be substantially weaker without them clearly but they'd survive, football would continue for the rest of the teams, if the founding 6 don't have the PL though they have nothing, a club can't exist without a domestic league to compete in. sure they can attempt to create a super league between themselves in its void but that's not sustainable for anybody.

The PL and the FA (and the Spanish and Italian equivalent) actually hold the aces here they just have to be bold enough to stick to their threats with regards to expelling clubs from the league and call their bluff.
Sorry - but this is the response of a romantic. Elite football is all about financial strength now. Sad but true. The breakaway clubs have this; the devalued domestic leagues do not. A breakaway 20-team league comprised of most of the world's best-recognised club names is stronger than any domestic tournament. I stand by the reasoning outlined in my earlier post (No.2548).

The difficulty for us is that, in my opinion, we were painted into a corner. It would have been commercial suicide not to join this operation.
As gutting and horrible as it is, yes.
It's not just City, it's the whole CFG group isn't it.
Not being part of the "Elite" would have diminished the allure and value of that massively.

We have been lucky to have amazing owners who genuinely do care about the club. As we know they have invested significantly in Manchester. So I don't want to believe that our owners should be tarred with the same brush as the American owners, who I believe have driven this potential catastrophe.

From what I have read, in this tragic disaster both City and Chelsea were painted into a corner. To not sign up would have been commercial suicide for both clubs. The sustainable business model developed by CFG would have been shattered.

But the fact is we do have a sustainable business model, so if this falls over (as we hope it does), its not going to affect us anywhere near as much as poorly run clubs like Barcelona and Real.

I honestsly believe that our owners in their hearts will be pleased if this does collapse. They have run a successful business, almost all the others have not.

Let's not give up hope. This is potentially the biggest fight ever in football.
I agree with this.

Cant quite make my mind up on this, however during the FFP issue I do remember many on here suggesting we create our own tournament and invite the 'non-elite' to join.
Always an inevitable outcome due to PL financial success, the only way the Europeans can prevent total PL domination financially.
I don't see we had a choice personally.

Does anyone else get the impression this may be a move to scare UEFA into getting more with the new champions league structure?
It's just a power seize. European League isn't happening and never will.
What will happen is the revised model of the Premier league that was proposed earlier this season, that's gives the wealthier clubs more power and money.
UEFA will expand the Champions league with a guaranteed qualification for some clubs.

From what I have read, in this tragic disaster both City and Chelsea were painted into a corner. To not sign up would have been commercial suicide for both clubs. The sustainable business model developed by CFG would have been shattered.
I think this is the case.
City had to go along with this.
No choice really.
Otherwise we would win a seriously denuded PL every year.

I have always said, football would eat itself from the inside out. Greedy bastards at every level from the Premier league up. Balance the funds more fairly and everyone gets a slice. Agents, Players, and clubs alike. Not to mention the corrupt twats at the very top or sky and BT. Lets see which people try to sell the idea in order to take our hard earned, we may get a better picture.

Love you mate but you need to catch up. This is a simple precursor to a closed Super League with 38 weekend games per side (and those five open slots will also be closed as soon as the SL figures out which five European clubs can make the league the most money I assure you). If this goes through it will only be a matter of time -- perhaps almost no time -- before we either bin the Prem or it bins us.
That maybe the case, but it may not.

Anything though that curtails UEFAs power i approve off though. The PL also have a vested interest in keeping the clubs in the PL and it is feasible to do both.

The one area that will suffer is international football, which personally i couldnt give a fuck about.

My initial horror at the proposal has been replaced with one of lets see how it pans out. It could well be amazing for football, but equally it could be the end of domestic football.

If it is planned to be the pinacle of the pyramid then I am fine with that, if it is closed as you say then i have reservations, but i am not going to dismiss it out of hand based on so little evidence and knowledge of what is actually being proposed.

I think they definitely see a new generation of customers (fans) and they are content to sacrifice the older generation. I just think it will be bad for their brand if the current fans simply don’t turn up.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.