The Super League | FA + PL: New Charter & Fines | UEFA: Settlement

Would you be happy if City joined this European Super League?

• Yes

Votes: 109 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,954 94.7%

• Total voters
Arsenal in a dead rubber super league game in early December when they're bottom of your 10 team league, they have nothing to play for but can't get relegated, you've already played them in the premier league in September, have already played them once in the super league home leg, you've drawn them in the semi final of the league cup, and you still have to play them again in the league at the start of February.
Depending how performance is incentivised (eg if a large chunk guaranteed for SL members) you can see managers prioritising domestic leagues over it? Will have to be carefully balanced to protect the "product"

The same Army of Lawyers that all thought we were banged to rights with FFP violations.

We should have gracefully accepted our punishment we were told..

I don't profess to be a Sports lawyer, or legal expert.

But i do know enough legally, to know that a lot of what is Legal ,is down to interpretation,. And ultimately a Judge interpretation

When we were found guilty of FFP violations. It was decided we had knowingly, deceitfully, circumvented FFP legislation.

Our Group of Sports layers argued differently at CAS, and the rest is history.

My point here is the Glaziers/Fenway Sports etc Group of Lawyers might think they have the Premier league/UEFA/FIFA/Sky/BT+ Employment laws T & Cs forensically covered by reading all the T & CS of these various organizations. But this will be all based on their own Lawyers biased interpretations of said T&Cs

All these teams right now still have contractual obligations under all sorts of T&Cs

Could potentially be a legal Mine Field that might take years to sort out..

Sky/BT they have paid hundreds millions for a Premier League product that has today been vastly devalued whilst under a rolling contractual obligation with the Premier League. They are not going to say, you know what it is cool, we will still carry on paying extortionate amounts for for a now inferior product.

First angle of attack might be injunctions.
You might be right, it is a minefield but I have a lot more faith in the super league beating simply because you have some of the richest people in the world competing with what is essentially one business, UEFA will be buried in paperwork, and anything the leagues can put forward in court, not that it will ever get there.

The part in bold is is exactly why the premier league won't go near booting out the "6". They can't afford it and neither can the other 14 when its spelled out for them just how much they are going to lose. When BT and Sky say we will give you 1/10th what you get now for the privilege of showing West Ham v Newcastle 4 times a season they will change their tune. The prem will lose all major sponsors and other stakeholders will drive them into the ground.

The super league have banked on the leagues rolling over and lets face it, they are going to. They wield too much power, the premier league had the fucking dippers and rags vet the latest chief exec ffs. Barca and Real dictate the TV money in Spain and Juve in SerieA, nothings changing any time soon.

This is it for me really, in a nutshell. The new product isn't something I can buy into. If we carry on domestically that'd be good tho

Would it though? Football is imbalanced enough without the top 6 getting upwards of 425 million in additional revenue streams each year to ‘compete’ against the rest of the league.

Those matches would be absolute dross. Where would the satisfaction of winning those games come from? Its tough enough now at times.

If of interest -- just received this from a friend:

EFL STATEMENT: EUROPEAN SUPER LEAGUE

The EFL stands with the Premier League, The FA, PFA, LMA, the FSA and colleagues across European professional football in condemnation of proposals which attack the foundation of open and fair competition upon which our game is built.

A strong pyramid based on promotion, relegation and ultimately European qualification, is fundamental to our game’s continued success. The EFL opposes any reform that doesn’t support competition integrity or offer clubs the prospect of one day competing at the highest end of the game.

Collective reform efforts should be focused on creating conditions that foster long-term sustainability at all levels of the domestic football and remove the current, almost impossible financial pressures created as a result in the huge difference of revenues allocated to the Premier League in comparison to the Championship and Leagues One and Two.

The EFL has long stated that the economics and governance of the English pyramid should be re-set and we remain committed to working with the Premier League, The FA and the game’s stakeholders to deliver that vision, so that English professional football can thrive in communities across the country for generations to come.

At its heart, football is a game for supporters and the widespread rejection of these proposals must be acknowledged. EFL Clubs are an integral part of the towns and cities from which they take their name and, in many, deliver the biggest single form of communal activity in their local area.

The EFL’s collective response to the pandemic in the face of significant challenges highlights just how vital they are to the life of the nation and anything that fundamentally weakens that system must be resisted.
Having pioneered the world’s original League format in 1888, it is ironic that proposals which would serve to destroy the value of sporting merit were announced on the weekend of the League’s 133rd anniversary.
Across EFL competitions, any club can triumph over another and fans of all clubs regardless of size and status, must always be afforded the hope that successes on the pitch will be rewarded. The Championship is one of Europe’s most prominent divisions and the gateway to England’s top tier. The introduction of a predominantly closed European competition at the elite end kills a part of the game and the League system we established over a century ago.

Similarly, the rejection of these proposals, does not represent an endorsement for UEFA’s own proposed reforms, which themselves represent a significant challenge to English football’s domestic programme.

Under both proposals, the EFL has concerns about the future of the League Cup which provides vital income to EFL clubs, is the breeding ground for stars of the future and provides the top and bottom of the English pyramid the opportunity to win the first major trophy of the season.

The EFL will continue to work with colleagues across the game at home and abroad, to defend our national game, protect our members and ensure that fans continue to have a healthy, vibrant and enduring pyramid system that they can continue to be proud of.

I have a major soft spot for the League Cup and desperately hope we win it again this coming weekend but I'd still kill the competition off and have said so for years.

Would it though. Football is imbalanced enough without the top 6 getting upwards of 425 million in additional revenue streams each year to ‘compete’ against the rest of the league.

Those matches would be absolute dross. Where would the satisfaction of winning those games come from? Its tough enough now at times.
Fair point - I'm trying to grab at something positive tho!

I hear what you say and mostly agree, I just can't get past the Americanisation bullshit, no promotion or relegation, so, glorified friendlies then.

As someone else on the forum mentioned earlier, what comes next off the yanks list of shit ideas. Trading/drafting of players, 4 quarters instead of 2 halves (tv advertising), pop up adverts during the match money money money.....wtf.
Agreed on the American influence and no promotion and relegation.

I think a concession could work on that?

Maybe protection for the two years for the supposed founder members but then promotion and relegation, offering the five extra places to highest placed teams in respective leagues?

I do think the group stages of Champs League are shite and if there was relegation and promotion after the first season or something, I would be cool with it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.