The Super League | FA + PL: New Charter & Fines | UEFA: Settlement

Would you be happy if City joined this European Super League?

• Yes

Votes: 109 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,954 94.7%

• Total voters
I agree, and they would be roundly condemned North of the border. They would jump for money. Don't get me wrong I'm not defending City on this, I think history will show this as a very sad day in our history.
very sad mate, but one thing, im sat here listening to talksport and its certainly gathering momentum,and the more i listen the more i cant see this getting up and running, i know Borris is a waste of space but now he has to get the minister of sport on the job,they can bring laws in for covid they must be able to stop this in parliment

After years of investing in their team, they are finally on the verge of qualifying for the Champions League. I'd imagine they're raging.
They still can. Imagine 2 leagues. One built on league places plus the odd 2 chucked in for historical reasons to appease the big boys who turned shit and one where you win the league and go into next seasons super duper league.

Uefa got wind of this a while ago hence their add 2 more coefficient entries and the extra games.

Doesn't appear to have worked.

So you either go with the CL...with it's hatred of all things City or go with the super-duper league and its mild annoyance at City.

All down to money. Both camps.

It stinks either way and is the death knoll for the League Cup.

The top 6 already have a £200m a year revenue gap to the tier below. Basically 100% step up from 7th to 6th.

The big 6 getting further ahead isnt going to change much.

I agree its imbalanced but based on merit it is still possible to qualify for the champs lge and potentially close that gap. Like we did post 2008, and the huge increase in revenues based on qualification, success and future revenue yields.

Once the closed shop ESL comes into force that will never be possible again. Firstly it will result in entrepreneurs less likely to invest, knowing they will hit a ceiling of the level the club will progress.

Secondly if the figures are true of each club receiving 425 million, plus all the additional spin offs over 5 years that is upwards of 2 billion difference in revenues, over 5 years, and that is based on the Prem Leagues tv revenues not falling of a cliff.

I doubt these clubs would have gone to all this trouble, the legal wrangles which will follow, backlash from their fanbases if things were not going to change that much.

Yes - think they have looked at the drinks breaks utilised last season in the prem, suppose this will allow for more advertising time.
Correct.

Once the league migrates to 20 closed clubs playing 57 matches a year against each other, I would also expect extra time and penalty shoot-outs to eliminate draws, as in hockey.

Perhaps 10-15 minutes of "sudden death" extra time (maybe with a reduced number of players on the pitch, which is what hockey does on the ice), followed by penalty shootout to determine a victor. Both teams get a point for a FT draw, but the team "winning" the penalty shootout gets an extra point (2 instead of 3 for a FT victory).

Once again, folks -- all of this is the inevitable direction. It's going to be a very different sport with its own unique rules. Like it or lump it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.