The Super League | FA + PL: New Charter & Fines | UEFA: Settlement

Would you be happy if City joined this European Super League?

• Yes

Votes: 109 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,954 94.7%

• Total voters
And when they invite Inter Miami to join them?
What we have now is pretty shit but that is because the history clubs are/were allowed to call the shots. Take away their power, stop the revamp of the Champs League and start giving Leicester, Everton West Ham, belief that they can compete, add Atalanta and others in Europe instead of gobshite history wankers trying to stop them and we will have far better football

To be honest what would be the problem with Inter Miami joining?

If we're designing a new international football competition, is there much difference having Inter Miami when we've got clubs from Asia it the tournament? I bet it would be easier and cheaper for away fans to go to Miami than some of the darkest corners of Easter Europe they currently travel to.

I suppose the problem is that you can't just have East coast teams, you'd have to open it up to the top x MLS teams and then travel would get stupid. And could you stop at the Americans?

Last edited:
But Perez signed a contract and is saying clubs that signed that contract cannot pull out now. Why did he sign a supposedly unbreakable contract if he needed his members to endorse that? How is he going to pull out if it's put to a vote and his members vote against it?

At worst, they'll do something like form a new club or holding company that isn't member owned. Members won't be allowed to get in the way of earning money and it's naïve to think they will.

Perez claimed the crowd outside Stamford Bridge was planted there by Javier Tebas live on Spanish TV as a way to hurt him (Perez) personally.

He has lost touch with reality, anyone who is using excerpts from his media appearances as fact needs to check themselves.

He's in the same situation as Laporta, who said very clearly, they aren't officially in until it's passed a vote by the members and he doesn't have the authority to put them in without a vote - and as Laporta is sane, and not peddling conspiracy theories - I'll take his word over Florentino's.

If we're designing a new international football competition, is there much difference having Inter Miami when we've got clubs from Asia it the tournament? I bet it would be easier and cheaper for away fans to go to Miami than some of the darkest corners of Easter Europe they currently travel to.
Yes. It's not much of a step from the ESL to FIFA's proposed Club World Cup. South American & African clubs particularly would leap at the sums involved.

Exactly why would a home club in a league like this make any tickets especially available for away fans? We don't do that in the States -- in any sport. You want a ticket to see your team play away, you hope there are some extras available in general admission or you go to Stub Hub and pay someone who can't use their season ticket for some reason (or pay a scalper outside the stadium day of).

All 20 Serie A clubs just passed a law that any club who joins a tournament not sanctioned by FIGC, UEFA and FIFA is expelled from Serie A.

Italian clubs can now be counted out of any CL replacement super league.

And the 3 Italian rebel clubs voted for it too.

I suppose, if there's no risk from failure, there's less incentive to avoid failure, so (in theory) more incentive for attacking football.

Exactly why would a home club in a league like this make any tickets especially available for away fans? We don't do that in the States -- in any sport. You want a ticket to see your team play away, you hope there are some extras available in general admission or you go to Stub Hub and pay someone who can't use their season ticket for some reason (or pay a scalper outside the stadium day of).
As the organisers want away fans for the atmosphere so it will be in the rules no doubt.

There are "away allocations" in boxing like Hatton got v Pretty Boy.

College (American) football does and is the American sport closest to football in Europe. Its is the formation of teams and leagues established in the late 19th century around organizations that have tethered fan support via institutional association. Although it does not have relegation/promotion, teams can move in and out of relevancy based upon the school administration. There is also factionalism that has led to numerous instances of reprehensible behavior - by institutions and fans alike. It isn’t the perfect parallel, but it is certainly similar.

College football has always been the most interesting sport in the US because its games always meant more as there was no playoff and at the end of the season the two teams ranked 1/2 in the polls played for the title. Recently much of that has changed with the introduction of a playoff and subsequent attempts to expand said playoff. The sport also generates more than $6 billion in revenue annually at the highest level.
I suppose, if there's no risk from failure, there's less incentive to avoid failure, so (in theory) more incentive for attacking football.
And this happens all the time in American sports. That is why they are such shit

As the organisers want away fans for the atmosphere so it will be in the rules no doubt.

There are "away allocations" in boxing like Hatton got v Pretty Boy.
I don't know anything about boxing, but do you think owners want to maximize revenue with a good atmosphere or not maximize revenue with a great atmosphere?

For example, do you think a lot of away fans visit the home club's shop to buy stuff?

College (American) football does and is the American sport closest to football in Europe. Its is the formation of teams and leagues established in the late 19th century around organizations that have tethered fan support via institutional association. Although it does not have relegation/promotion, teams can move in and out of relevancy based upon the school administration. There is also factionalism that has led to numerous instances of reprehensible behavior - by institutions and fans alike. It isn’t the perfect parallel, but it is certainly similar.

College football has always been the most interesting sport in the US because its games always meant more as there was no playoff and at the end of the season the two teams ranked 1/2 in the polls played for the title. Recently much of that has changed with the introduction of a playoff and subsequent attempts to expand said playoff. The sport also generates more than $6 billion in revenue annually at the highest level.

And this happens all the time in American sports. That is why they are such shit
I think that's probably right. I dislike American football and college football specifically, but you're right about tethered fan support.

One parallel I used with my non-football-caring friends here is NCAA basketball in terms of what the football owners were trying to do -- take a merit-based championship based on local micro-league performance and restrict it to the "big" schools.

Imagine if Duke, North Carolina, Villanova, Michigan, UCLA, Kansas, Kentucky, et al got together and said they automatically made into the NCAAs regardless of how they performed in the ACC or whatever, or the conference tournament. Actually, imagine if 48 (3/4 of 64) teams did it (pretend the play in games don't exist).

There would be fucking riots at college campuses all over the nation. Sports talk would go berserk. Knowing America, there would probably be shootings. It would never stand and every single American sports fan would talk of nothing else and wonder in amazement at the incredible stupidity of the universities for trying suck a thing.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.