The Title Race 2022/23

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot could change, especially in April and May. Hopefully, Arsenal go deep in the EL...

Otherwise, I agree. If we win 90 pts and Arsenal win the title, fair play to them, the title will be well deserved (but if they win it by a point, we'll feel robbed due to *that* United goal...).
I doubt very much Arsenal will go deep in the EL. I suspect their attitude towards it won’t be too different to ours was when we were chasing our first PL title in 2012 and they’ll be quite happy to exit the competition.
Completely agree about the potential consequences of the derby result. That will definitely sting if it comes to pass!

A lot could change, especially in April and May. Hopefully, Arsenal go deep in the EL...

Otherwise, I agree. If we win 90 pts and Arsenal win the title, fair play to them, the title will be well deserved (but if they win it by a point, we'll feel robbed due to *that* United goal...).

I was thinking yesterday that Arteta would "throw" the EL now they're top of the league and in a great position to win it. But I'm not entirely sure that's true. Like Pep he'll want to win every single game and every competition. I'd be surprised if he doesn't use his first team players at least off the bench in the EL. I don't think that will make a huge difference ultimately though, unless they get injuries.

We don't need to worry about Arsenal other than when we play them. The biggest question is whether mentally our players are up for the fight. The Spurs game suggests there's still something there in enough of the squad. But we need our usual reliable players to step up if we're going to have any chance, and Pep has given them the shake they needed. It's yet to be seen whether it works though. If it does and we click into gear then I'd expect us to win it. Based on nothing but my own opinion, I cannot see Arsenal hitting 90pts. For us to do so, we don't need a huge upturn in form in any case.

It will come down to the games between us though. I think we need to win both personally, because of the number of points we've dropped so far (which still isn't a lot it must be said). But win one and draw one and it's going to the wire!

Jotted down the remaining fixtures for both sides.
Both have 5 games against top 4 candidates, (I include Dippers & Chelsea in that) we play Dippers at home, they play them away.
Both play Chelsea at home and we also have Spuds away.
They have 2 games against Everton! New manager bounce maybe.
They have a nightmare 3 game run near the end and finish home to Wolves, just as Dippers did last season.

City - 8 Home, 10 Away

Spuds A
Villa H
Arse A
Forest A
Bournemouth A
Newcastle H
Palace A
Wham H
Dippers H
Soton A
Leicester H
Brighton A
Arse H
Fulham A
Leeds H
Everton A
Chelsea H
Brentford A

Arsenal - 10 Home, 9 Away

Everton H TBC
Everton A
Brentford H
City H
Villa A
Leicester A
Bournemouth H
Fulham A
Palace H
Leeds H
Dippers A
Wham A
Soton H
City A
Chelsea H
Newcastle A
Brighton H
Forest A
Wolves H

I know a couple people have mentioned about being annoyed if they win it by a point because of the derby game. We lost other games and drew ones we shouldn't have as well, i don't think we can blame that one game if it does happen. However they manage to win it, if they do, they will deserve it because this City team has proven again and again that it has bottle. Right now, Arsenal are showing the steel needed to win a title. City need to do what they do best, go on a long run and see if they can swim in deep water.

The United goal wouldn't even come to mind, I'd be more pissed off that we drew against Everton at home tbh.

I know a couple people have mentioned about being annoyed if they win it by a point because of the derby game. We lost other games and drew ones we shouldn't have as well, i don't think we can blame that one game if it does happen. However they manage to win it, if they do, they will deserve it because this City team has proven again and again that it has bottle. Right now, Arsenal are showing the steel needed to win a title. City need to do what they do best, go on a long run and see if they can swim in deep water.
I'll be more pissed of at the fact we drew against a dire Everton team rather than losing against an inform United team tbh.

I'm still confident we'll win the league, to be honest. Yeah, Arsenal are a real threat and have been really impressive BUT I reckon they'll start falling away very soon. We still have to play them and if we beat them, which we absolutely can, it's a 6 point swing in our favour. We have the experience to go the long haul and I really believe we'll do it again. It's going to be extra tough next season because Newcastle are starting to look really good, as are United, and Liverpool won't be this shit much longer, especially not if the rumours that PSG owners want to buy them are true.
Problem is the gap is more than six..and beating them away..on our form...seems a bit too much for us this year,. I think they will get 4 points from us...also they don't look like falling away at all..going for jugular on Sunday at 2;2 v top three side... also..we will drop a shed more, Arsenal will have to fall off the cliff
Hopefully I am wrong but it would be a more dramatic fall than Liverpool's with all things considered

The United goal wouldn't even come to mind, I'd be more pissed off that we drew against Everton at home tbh.
Everton had the worst manager ever (ton) and in worst form in about 30 years...and we drew at home..can't be champions with another ONE of these results..can easily 3 more though this season. Just the way football is, you can't be the best every year

Arsenal have had a tremendous 1st half season. If they carry that on they will deservedly take 1st place. City though have the experience and are still to play them twice in the league. I think our squad may be the difference overall. It's not every fans cup of tea but this rotation will benefit City as injuries & suspensions start to bite which every club will go through before the end. It may look like players are not comfortable out of natural positions but how else are they going to improve unless they practice being out of positions in high pressure games. The 2 Arsenal matches will be key as will our higher quality squad. We can probably only afford to lose 1 more game..I think 93 pts should do it. Arsenal will probably start to drop points around Easter when the finish line is in sight.
Im not sure about better squad quality, you rely on about 16 top players each.... i would certainly take their work ethic and team spirit and drive..i can't see how we look like the only team to beat them TWICE..we are simply not good enough for that and that's fair enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.