The Title Race 2022/23

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly and we all know that the media talk down the centurions, but talk up the invincibles.

I genuinely prefer having the first claim to fame. Arsenal supporters and Arsenal-supporting friends that I've talked to, who are lucid about it, said that they actually played a number of rocky matches that season, and just about eked out a draw from them. They have also said that the latter end of the season was utter torture, because they were always expecting to lose a game and ruin the record.

I think Arsenal has finished on more than 85 points once in the Premier League era (invincibles season - 90 points).

I don't honestly think that's an argument in itself. The dippers twice came second to us, obtaining respectively 97 points and 92 points. In the season they won it they obtained 99 points. I don't think I'm wrong is saying that in all other seasons of the PL and the First Division (three points for a win introduced in 1981 in England) before it, they got nowhere near the 90s.
It can happen.
I still think we'll finish above them though. Because we are terrifyingly good.

Yeah when you look at arsenals bench on sunday, they didnt have that many options. Then compare that to ours where we had Alvarez, gundo, laporte, grealish, gomez, palmer on the bench and thats with walker, stones and phillips all injured. Our squad has amazing quality if not massive depth, where Arsenal are showing they have a very good 11, but when injuries hit i don't think they have the quality in depth to keep it going.

Just this. People said the same about Leicester, of course.
But that's my analysis, too.
One disadvantage, perhaps. Do they have many going to the WC? A couple of ours may well come back crocks.

I genuinely prefer having the first claim to fame. Arsenal supporters and Arsenal-supporting friends that I've talked to, who are lucid about it, said that they actually played a number of rocky matches that season, and just about eked out a draw from them. They have also said that the latter end of the season was utter torture, because they were always expecting to lose a game and ruin the record.
Lets not forget we are the only centurions where as arsenal weren't even the first invincibles. Preston hold that title.

I don't honestly think that's an argument in itself. The dippers twice came second to us, obtaining respectively 97 points and 92 points. In the season they won it they obtained 99 points. I don't think I'm wrong is saying that in all other seasons of the PL and the First Division (three points for a win introduced in 1981 in England) before it, they got nowhere near the 90s.
It can happen.
I still think we'll finish above them though. Because we are terrifyingly good.
You're right. I'm not saying they can't do it. But 1 season in their history hitting over 85 points shows it would be an outrageous achievement for them to go on and reach 90+. Especially considering the world cup and the effect that will have on their first XI.

Therefore I think it's very unlikely that they'll get 85+ points this year and even if they do, they will 'probably' need a club record-breaking points tally to actually win the league.

Not forgetting Wenger would throw defenders on when they were drawing to bottom half sides, just to keep the record.

They wouldn’t go for the win necessarily, when they were drawing against lesser opposition.

There’s no way I can ever envisage Guardiola doing that. When we’ve had the league sewn up he’s rested a few for champs league games but he would still always go for the win.

That’s why we’ll never go invincible, as this squad and this manager are the only ones capable but they wouldn’t out of the principle of chasing wins.

How long before the press start throwing around the invincible tag?

We're 1/4 of the way through the season.

I think if we win on the weekend it might pop up. At that point we'd also have only lost 1 game in our last 38 (spurs)

How long before the press start throwing around the invincible tag?

We're 1/4 of the way through the season.

I think if we win on the weekend it might pop up. At that point we'd also have only lost 1 game in our last 38 (spurs)

Hadn't realised we're 21 games unbeaten in the league, probably because it's split across seasons that it's gone unnoticed a bit.

Like you say, get through this weekend and I expect the media will start talking about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.