The Title Race 2022/23

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
How long before the press start throwing around the invincible tag?

We're 1/4 of the way through the season.

I think if we win on the weekend it might pop up. At that point we'd also have only lost 1 game in our last 38 (spurs)
Quadruple, invincibles, failures if we dont win the CL, disrespecting opponents, biggest squad.............. the cliches will be all out over the next few days in the run up to Sunday.

Invincible season is Guaranteed Immortality. Arsenal-fan brother-in-law rightly proud of his lot, but still talks of the draws and the near-defeats. I saw very little of that season, as 1000s of miles away: who were the really good teams who didn’t beat them?

Echo @Octavian on why unlikely even for us now. I see Adama Traores lurking in every starting XI we line up against when none exist.

Invincible season is Guaranteed Immortality. Arsenal-fan brother-in-law rightly proud of his lot, but still talks of the draws and the near-defeats. I saw very little of that season, as 1000s of miles away: who were the really good teams who didn’t beat them?

Echo @Octavian on why unlikely even for us now. I see Adama Traores lurking in every starting XI we line up against when none exist.
They drew with teams right across the league, 12 draws in total.

There was one I recall near the end of the season, maybe Birmingham (?), where they drew 1-1 but should have battered them.

Wenger decided to keep the score as was to keep the record going, as they’d already practically won the league or had won it already.

Preston bettered it - they were unbeaten in the League and the FA cup too! Brilliant achievement.
Yes, but they bought it. Buying up the best of the Scotch Professors. It only counts if you use homegrown lads born within a goal kick if the ground.

Mid 80's wins it this year. It has been a great start by Arsenal. If they win this weekend that's 9 wins and 1 loss having played Spurs, Liverpool and the rags. But I would expect them to still struggle as teams begin to play for a draw against them and start parking the bus. They're thin as a squad and still have some weaknesses at the back.

Hopefully we win at Anfield and keep the pressure on them. They're the main challenger this season but it's a young team that showed a lack of bottle last season and I don't think signing Gabby and Zin will change that dramatically. With the pressure on in a title run in they'll drop points. I think we will be home and dry with about 4 to play this season.

Mid 80's wins it this year. It has been a great start by Arsenal. If they win this weekend that's 9 wins and 1 loss having played Spurs, Liverpool and the rags. But I would expect them to still struggle as teams begin to play for a draw against them and start parking the bus. They're thin as a squad and still have some weaknesses at the back.

Hopefully we win at Anfield and keep the pressure on them. They're the main challenger this season but it's a young team that showed a lack of bottle last season and I don't think signing Gabby and Zin will change that dramatically. With the pressure on in a title run in they'll drop points. I think we will be home and dry with about 4 to play this season.

I agree with some, but not all, of this. Bottle is exactly what the Arse are showing this year, at least to a greater degree than previous seasons, when they melted like snowflakes at the first sign of a setback. Sunday was a case in point. When the dippers levelled, I thought, here we go. When they levelled again, I thought for sure here we go. Not so. Arsenal took the three points. And actually, yes, I think Gabby in particular has played a pretty important role in changing that mindset. He never lacked bottle, that lad.

But talking bottle, what's impressed me more than any other matches this season is the two games in which we went two goals behind — Newcastle and Palace — and still came back to take, respectively, a draw and a win. We've got stones this season (even if Stones is injured much of the time). We always did have, but now we've got it in spades. Haaland, without question, is part of it. That man hates not to score with every fibre of his being. He hates to lose.
The great X factor, I'm afraid, is this bloody competition which falls across the season like a bloody great big tree. I just don't know how players, theirs or ours, are going to come back from it.

Just this. People said the same about Leicester, of course.
But that's my analysis, too.
One disadvantage, perhaps. Do they have many going to the WC? A couple of ours may well come back crocks.
I feel like the Leicester point is pretty much irrelevant, we are a completely different animal to what we were back then. They won the league with what? 81 points? Even if someone did a 'Leicester' it's still very unlikely to be anywhere near good enough. We're topping 90 again this season.

I agree with some, but not all, of this. Bottle is exactly what the Arse are showing this year, at least to a greater degree than previous seasons, when they melted like snowflakes at the first sign of a setback. Sunday was a case in point. When the dippers levelled, I thought, here we go. When they levelled again, I thought for sure here we go. Not so. Arsenal took the three points. And actually, yes, I think Gabby in particular has played a pretty important role in changing that mindset. He never lacked bottle, that lad.

But talking bottle, what's impressed me more than any other matches this season is the two games in which we went two goals behind — Newcastle and Palace — and still came back to take, respectively, a draw and a win. We've got stones this season (even if Stones is injured much of the time). We always did have, but now we've got it in spades. Haaland, without question, is part of it. That man hates not to score with every fibre of his being. He hates to lose.
The great X factor, I'm afraid, is this bloody competition which falls across the season like a bloody great big tree. I just don't know how players, theirs or ours, are going to come back from it.
I don’t mean to sound arrogant but even two goals down, this group of players can come back and take all three points within a matter of minutes. As if we weren’t a scary enough proposition for the teams we face, we’ve recently discovered a new way to win games. The never say die attitude of the players is phenomenal.

I thought the Villa game last year was a one off. Trailing by two goals to Newcastle and Palace, I was stunned. When those games looked dead and gone, we just turned up and managed to get results. This is why I think we’re better than we’ve ever been… we can just turn these games around with ease. After 4 titles in five seasons, you’d think there would naturally be a drop in consistency or in desire. Instead, each squad member is hungrier than ever. How Pep manages to get the best out of these boys week in week out is beyond me.

If we take three points at Anfield this week, that lot may as well shut up shop. I don’t see anyone coming close to us this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.