The Title Race 2022/23

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Arsenal won't slip up this season because Gabby Jesus is back on the pitch and has scored again.

It's not all that fun if we lift the trophy every 2nd week of May anyway; the hate towards us will just pile up even more.
I can live with the hate, it’s been there since the takeover. Just want lift the title again.

Another positive, Liverpool will be desperate to win against the Arse now that they're 8 points adrift of the Geordies. Arsenal could possibly lose 6 points in the next couple of weeks. If they get through them and win both then fair play to them.

Think there’s a good chance we’ll win every league game between now and the end of the season, and if we do, and Arsenal still win the league, then they’ll completely deserve it - and it will, imo, rank alongside our achievement in 2018/19.

It would be an incredible achievement and fair fucks to them if they do it. It would in no way diminish this team if that was how it played out. There is absolutely no shame in getting over 90 points and not winning the league. People pointing to Forest and Villa away this season palpably soon forget Palace at home and Leicester away in 2018/19. It’s normal to not win games that you should over the course of a season. To suggest otherwise fails to grasp the nature of a competitive league played over nine months.

And if that were to happen, I’d genuinely feel privileged to have experienced it. You can’t win every season, but better to lose it heroically than with a whimper. For me, if we lost the league like that and won the other two, then it would still represent an amazing season.

Once again we are approaching the business end still involved on multiple fronts and our season fascinatingly poised.

What a privilege it’s been to be a City fan this last dozen years; and these last half dozen in particular.

It really has been beyond my wildest dreams - and I’m sure that of every Blues of my vintage.

Thought I would refresh this view to try and ease the sense of impending doom.

There's no two ways about it, Arsenal's last 9 games are tough. The average position of their remaining five away game opponents is 8.4. Ours is 12.2. And that isn't considering that they have to go to Anfield, the third hardest stadium in the league to go to. In fact if you only look at the home form table, the average position of those away games is roughly 7th. Would you like to play Brentford away 5 times in a row before the end of the year? Because that's roughly equivalent to what Arsenal have to do. This is the reason why the 538 model is still saying it's too close to call.

They don't really have many gimmes at home either. You'd expect them to ease past Southampton but Wolves are a tricky team and Chelsea have quality in their ranks despite their terrible form.

We obviously have tricky games to come, many at home, a place where we have dropped fewer points than anybody else this season.

I think this is going to be really close but one thing I know for sure is that if Arsenal navigate these fixtures and win it'll be because they are worthy winners.

1680462397882.png

Last edited:
Every time we've won the title, including in 1968, I've been convinced we were going to win long before the season ended. This time, for whatever reason, I haven't felt that confidence.

I thought Arsenal might fall apart, and they haven't. It isn't settled yet. City are an absolutely fantastic team, as yesterday demonstrated to anyone who doubted it, and I'm pretty sure we won't lose many more this season. But will it be enough?

I don't know. The consolation is that I don't have the visceral hatred for Arsenal that I have for the Rags and Scousepool, so I can cope if they win it. I'll even be gracious enough to say that if they get more points than City over 38 games, they deserve it. Fair play.

Ours are harder than theirs
The Liverpool game is the most crucial. Until yesterday, I would have said that will be where they start to lose points, but after the scouse horror show yesterday, it's going to take an almighty effort by the scousers to get something. I wouldn't put it past them to get something, as Liverpool at Anfield is literally a very different ballgame to having to play Liverpool away this season.

As I often say - come on you scousers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.