The Title Race 2022/23

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I should see a red or two in the Chelsea game for either side. Arsenal are a wounded animal right now so just depends if Chelsea want to show any pride.

People maybe underestimate how much Chelsea and Arsenal hate each other?

They are indeed shit, but they have individual talents who can pull something together and I think Frank will at least lay it on the line what it means to Chelsea fans to stop Arsenal winning the title.

I will be far calmer should we win our next three, as Arsenal will simply run out of games.

But I would never doubt us going to win at Brighton and Brentford if we have to.
Thought that that was Chelsea and Spurs?

Lot of talk of the league being over in media. We need to avoid another Forest performance/result at weekend and put some serious pressure on. West Ham and Leads won’t be easy when they are fighting for their lives. I’ll feel more comfortable when we’re clear at top with game in hand still

Lot of talk of the league being over in media. We need to avoid another Forest performance/result at weekend and put some serious pressure on. West Ham and Leads won’t be easy when they are fighting for their lives. I’ll feel more comfortable when we’re clear at top with game in hand still
Of course it's not over. Big ("massive", even!) game on sunday now. Win that and we go top. It'll be interesting to see how Arsenal cope with that mentally. They play Chelsea on tuesday night, and they ought to win that (you'd fancy Arsenal's ladies to beat Chelsea right now!

Three fixtures now in Fulham (A), West Ham and Leeds (H) all next week that are our "easiest" on paper remaining.

It is an absolute priority that 9 points is achieved because our final 4 in my opinion are difficult.

Everton away could be THE game - looking at the calendar - as to whether they could get relegated or stay up. Incredibly tough game.

Chelsea at home could and will likely see us with a Pochettino led Chelsea. Just can't see Frank lasting more than the Arsenal game if they get beat. Also, for as bad as Chelsea have been this season, defensively they are the 3rd best in the division.

Brighton and Brentford both away - the giant killers of this seasons Premier League.

Would be funny if Lampard picked up his first points against Arsenal.

Chelsea will have the extra motivation of ruining Arsenals season

For a club who haven't retained a league title since 1935, their fans are incredibly entitled/spoilt. No one living remembers Arsenal dominating football like City is doing right now. They bang on about the invincibles which was a brilliant achievement, but it's hollow if you finish 12 points behind Chelsea the following year.

I think they're jealous that City has become the club they dreamed Arsenal would under Wenger.

They cry 'oil money' while playing in the Emirates stadium with no sense of irony. They're almost a parody club.

Great post, you’re spot on. They’re jealous of City for sure. They say we have no history but we won the FA cup, League cup and a European trophy before them, and they won their first league title about 3 years before us. They act like this super successful club but 55% of their total league titles were won in the 30’s/40’s and Arsenals Nickname in the era of the 30’s/40’s, was ‘the Bank of England club’. Their chairman Sir Henry Norris, had previously been the director of ‘the Bank of England’. But the nickname was used for them because of their heavy investment and deep pockets. During the 1930s, they broke the record transfer fee on three separate occasions, which was a significant achievement at the time, given the financial constraints of the era. What I’m saying is, they bought the league, well they bought 7/13 of their league titles, at a time when, most peoples parents weren’t even alive.

Last edited:
Well said Kaz.

Kyle Walker was asked if beating Fulham means we win the league and he answered he thinks beating them is pretty much "job done".
I think Pep should have a word with him because beati them is definitely not job done, and if we do beat Fulham we still have another 6 league games to play.

We cannot afford to lose focus at any time, especially if we want to win the treble, and winning that is 11 games away. Every game supercedes the last game for importance at this stage of the season so it's one game at a time, as Pep has said, and rightly so.
That’s not what Walker said at all. In fact he keep stressing the need for city to focus, nothing is won and we need to be ready for fulham.

For a club who haven't retained a league title since 1935, their fans are incredibly entitled/spoilt. No one living remembers Arsenal dominating football like City is doing right now. They bang on about the invincibles which was a brilliant achievement, but it's hollow if you finish 12 points behind Chelsea the following year.

I think they're jealous that City has become the club they dreamed Arsenal would under Wenger.

They cry 'oil money' while playing in the Emirates stadium with no sense of irony. They're almost a parody club.
It was a staggering achievement, no question. To go 38 league games unbeaten is some feat. However, that side drew nearly a third of their games (12) in that campaign. And finished on 90 pts. We've bettered that in 3 of our four most recent title wins. As did Liverpool in 2020. The standard required to win the league now is so much higher than it was back in 2003/04.

If I was Arteta I'd be telling his team to completely forget about the league title and instead target the 90 points that the invincibles got. If we slip up then they're back in it, but if not what an achievement and narrative to give to the fans. And I think City have to work on the assumption that it needs to be 91 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.