The Title Race 2022/23

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Arsenal not being involved in Champions League may yet be a factor. If it gets to the business end of the season and they're still right in the race, Europa League can be sacrificed and I doubt many of their fans would complain too much - we did pretty much exactly that in 2012 when we were chasing our first PL title. It's a different dynamic to our head to head contests with the scousers when both clubs have had CL to deal with.

People mentioning Leicester vibes?

Didn't they win the title with 81 points or something?

It will take more than that this year!

Leicester shows that you can't rule out surprises. It also shows, IMO, that the best team does not always win the league. Leicester had a great run that lasted longer than one would normally expect and ultimately deserved their title. However, other teams, including City, underachieved; although I would not claim City were the best team at that point: it took until the January of the following season for City to get back to that point, which was too late to win the league.

This current City side are a very different proposition to the one that Leicester finished ahead of; it doesn't mean though that we cannot fail to win the league this year. Winning three in a row in England is very tough to do, and even if we continue (for severla more years) to be the best team in England over the long run (as I believe we have been since Pep's first January), we are unlikley to to win the title in each of those years: this is not the Bundesliga.

We have an incredibly tough run of games coming up and beating so many top teams one after the other with so many games in a short space of time is a big ask and not the same as playing those teams spread out. All Pep and City can do is focus on the next game and what has to be done to knock the next opponent over. Pep of course will have to consider the sequence of games in order to cleverly manage how he rotates players.

It's going to be interesting and I hope glorious fun.

I myself am not getting the arsenal hype until they get beat us when we play them in january. I still feel it's ours for the taking until that point. The decisive point will be whether arsenal push to win the europa league in preference to the league, or the opposite

I get the Leicester chat, but this is nothing like that. Arsenal have been big spenders and massively underperforming, and they've added a bit of steel to the spine. Much closer to Liverpool adding van Dijk and Alisson and putting a challenge together.

Whoever the 1 is who voted for 75-79 must be feeling confident as it's looking like that's all Arsenal are going to need to win it.

Not happening unfortunately. We are dropping points against really poor teams. We are now going on a run against actually good teams. We'll see if the gap reaches 10+ points soon.

Apologies if already posted but reported by Five ThirtyEight and calculated by a supercomputer the final table looks like this evidently......

Now dropped to 45%, below 50 and no longer clear favourites. For once most of us can agree with 538 there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.