The Title Race 2022/23

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Motivation is breaking records, they could equal the record of 3 in a row for titles. Then go for 4 in a row which has never been done in English football. Seeing that gimp Jordan Henderson lifting the title knocked me sick, hopefully that’s the motivation that keeps our squad turning up season after season.
I hope youre right but something is off this season weve not been on it at all except for 45 mins in the Derby.
Is it Lillo leaving? Motivation? Player issues? Something is not right

I hope youre right but something is off this season weve not been on it at all except for 45 mins in the Derby.
Is it Lillo leaving? Motivation? Player issues? Something is not right

I don’t like the shape of the team across the back 4 where we don’t have a proper left back playing and centre backs doing make shift roles. Then we have our wide players not up to much, Haaland doing so well has hidden a lot of our problems. This tough run of games we have in January I hope will sharpen everyone’s focus, we’ve won the league from worser positions than now. They need to start showing it.

Only time will tell if we can back on track and win it this season. Personally, I've been concerned about our performances all season - not every game obviously but enough games to think we're not quite on it. We need to get back on it and we need to do it quick because the next 3 games are all tough looking fixtures.

However, I will add that we've had worrying dips in form and performances in most of Pep's other title-winning seasons. I'm not talking the odd game as there will always be outliers where even the very best teams have an off day. No, I'm referring to clusters of games. In 2018/19 we lost 3 games out of 4 in December - away to Chelsea, at home to Palace, and away to Leicester. Then at the back end of January we unexpectedly lost away at Newcastle. In 2020/21 we didn't even properly get going until late December and our performances prior to that were arguably much more worrying than those we've seen this season, so much so that when Pep signed his new contract in November 2020 and we promptly went and lost 2-0 at Tottenham a few days later, many fans on here were saying that they wished he hadn't signed that deal.

Remember that it feels like we're further into the season than we actually are. There are still 22 games left for us to catch Arsenal.

We'll see the impact of the world cup/squad depth come April/May.

I thought we were good in the early season. Convincing wins and good performances were plentiful - West Ham, Bournemouth, Seville, United, Southampton and Nottingham Forest to name a few. We threw in the odd ropey performance too, but that was no different to any of our title-winning years under Pep early on in the season.

For me, I noticed a real dip after Southampton at home. We started Copenhagen away with an excellent mindset and had a great goal ruled out. Once Gomez had been sent off, we played for a draw and things haven't been the same since. It's as if we entered into a cautious mindset that we cannot shake off. Our play is much more laboured and gives the opposition time to recover defensive positions as a result. There is no greater example of this than the last two home league games.

What we do know is that we have been here before with this manager. He has many things to consider - injuries, fatigue, keeping people happy and a winter World Cup. It's a long and disrupted season, the like of which we have never seen before. When I look at Arsenal, I see them going out every game at full tilt. It's actually very good to watch but is it sustainable? They finished Brighton away looking out on their feet and, after an explosive 10 minutes last night, it was noticeable how their energy levels dropped.

This is a marathon that we have run before but the time for clicking into gear must surely now be upon us. We need a result and performance tomorrow night that gives us confidence akin to the exact same fixture two years ago.

Only time will tell if we can back on track and win it this season. Personally, I've been concerned about our performances all season - not every game obviously but enough games to think we're not quite on it. We need to get back on it and we need to do it quick because the next 3 games are all tough looking fixtures.

However, I will add that we've had worrying dips in form and performances in most of Pep's other title-winning seasons. I'm not talking the odd game as there will always be outliers where even the very best teams have an off day. No, I'm referring to clusters of games. In 2018/19 we lost 3 games out of 4 in December - away to Chelsea, at home to Palace, and away to Leicester. Then at the back end of January we unexpectedly lost away at Newcastle. In 2020/21 we didn't even properly get going until late December and our performances prior to that were arguably much more worrying than those we've seen this season, so much so that when Pep signed his new contract in November 2020 and we promptly went and lost 2-0 at Tottenham a few days later, many fans on here were saying that they wished he hadn't signed that deal.

I thought we were good in the early season. Convincing wins and good performances were plentiful - West Ham, Bournemouth, Seville, United, Southampton and Nottingham Forest to name a few. We threw in the odd ropey performance too, but that was no different to any of our title-winning years under Pep early on in the season.

For me, I noticed a real dip after Southampton at home. We started Copenhagen away with an excellent mindset and had a great goal ruled out. Once Gomez had been sent off, we played for a draw and things haven't been the same since. It's as if we entered into a cautious mindset that we cannot shake off. Our play is much more laboured and gives the opposition time to recover defensive positions as a result. There is no greater example of this than the last two home league games.

What we do know is that we have been here before with this manager. He has many things to consider - injuries, fatigue, keeping people happy and a winter World Cup. It's a long and disrupted season, the like of which we have never seen before. When I look at Arsenal, I see them going out every game at full tilt. It's actually very good to watch but is it sustainable? They finished Brighton away looking out on their feet and, after an explosive 10 minutes last night, it was noticeable how their energy levels dropped.

This is a marathon that we have run before but the time for clicking into gear must surely now be upon us. We need a result and performance tomorrow night that gives us confidence akin to the exact same fixture two years ago.
Two cracking posts.

The way I see it the question is are arsenal capable of getting 90 plus points
Doesn’t matter who is top after 17 games
the dippers nearly caught us last year and we are way better than arsenal

For Arsenal not to get 90 points they will have to drop at least 18 more points from here, when they’ve only dropped 7 so far. I’d say it’s unlikely they will get less than 90, which puts a lot of pressure on us, we certainly can’t afford too many more slip ups

They are. Quite easily.

We are as well, if we improve and play like we can. If we don't, it won't really matter, as they won't even need 90 then.

we need to get a good system and first 11 in place. gain momentum and consistency and try string a good run of wins together!

This chopping and changing of the team and poor selections on a week on week basis is hindering us and stunting any momentum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.