The Title Race - 2023/24

How many points will be needed to win the league?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Still my favourite ever season, although last one ran it fucking close!

It was horrific at the time! Every bloody game felt like a final. Watch City then all eyes on Liverpool hoping they'd drop points. So many close games. Aguero's goal by a few millimetres against Burnley and then the Leicester game the next weekend. We took 54pts from 57 the second half of that season. Insane!

Last season had its moments I guess.

It was horrific at the time! Every bloody game felt like a final. Watch City then all eyes on Liverpool hoping they'd drop points. So many close games. Aguero's goal by a few millimetres against Burnley and then the Leicester game the next weekend. We took 54pts from 57 the second half of that season. Insane!

Yes, we won 18 of the last 19 games - that defeat at Newcastle representing the only dropped points. Absolutely incredible.

It was horrific in a way, but that’s what made it so satisfying. To live through that week to week, and then to win the league at Brighton on such a beautiful, sunny day, was amazing.

Yes, we won 18 of the last 19 games - that defeat at Newcastle representing the only dropped points. Absolutely incredible.

It was horrific in a way, but that’s what made it so satisfying. To live through that week to week, and then to win the league at Brighton on such a beautiful, sunny day, was amazing.

It definitely was. It makes things so much more interesting and you live and breathe it almost as if you're playing yourself. It becomes an obsession, or certainly does for me! We've won so many titles now that the hard slogs do stand out more than the canters! Is it 4 times we've won it on the final day?

2012 just felt like typical City and the footballing gods toying with us. 2014 I was quietly confident and actually it was stress free for once, the stress had come in previous weeks but thanks to Palace and Chelsea our annual loss at Anfield didn't matter. We weren't behind for long at Brighton and then got ahead and thrashed them for a lovely party. Then Villa - well that one was a bit too close for comfort, and then funnily enough I felt we might have taken the lead too soon in the end! That would have been sweeter if the dippers had have had it in their hands at some point that day.

Our 100-point season was remarkable and arguably the best achievement in English footballing history.

For me, winning the last 14 games of the following season was a bigger achievement.

Very difficult to call that. I've often thought about it.
For the sheer quality of the football we played, right through the season, I don't think anything can easily compare to 2017-18. Kev's greatest season, in my honest opinion. Still intensely irritates me that he didn't get POTY from his fellow professionals. Salah was very good, but Kev simply bossed the league that season.
But for sheer mentality, sheer cussedness, 2018-19 is our greatest season ever. Liverpool refused to give up. We refused to give up. They must still be looking at that final table and rubbing their eyes in disbelief. That Vin goal against Leicester summed it up — it was never on, his team mates telling him not to shoot, he says “Fuck it!” and out of a clear blue sky scores one of the greatest goals scored by any outfielder.
They're like my two children, figuratively speaking. I refuse to favour one over the other. They've each got their qualities. Both are glorious.
But hey, I still love 67-68, where we had no chance until virtually until the final knockings, when we had to get absolutely everything right.

Last edited:

Last season had its moments I guess.

Don't forget Johnny's clearance off the line against the dippers at the Etihad! I swear that at least three-quarters of the ball has crossed the line.

Very difficult to call that. I've often thought about it.
For the sheer quality of the football we played, right through the season, I don't think anything can easily compare to 2017-18. Kev's greatest season, in my honest opinion. Still intensely irritates me that he didn't get POTY from his fellow professionals. Salah was very good, but Kev simply bossed the league that season.
But for sheer mentality, sheer cussedness, 2018-19 is our greatest season ever. Liverpool refused to give up. We refused to give up. They must still be looking at that final table and rubbing their eyes in disbelief. That Vin goal against Leicester summed it up — it was never on, his team mates telling him not to shoot, he says “Fuck it!” and out of a clear blue sky scores one of the greatest goals scored by any outfielder.
They're like my two children. I refuse to favour one over the other. They've each got their qualities. Both are glorious.
But hey, I still love 67-68, where we had no chance until virtually until the final knockings, when we had to get absolutely everything right.
Agree with all that and the xG stats agree with you too. The Centurions were better. The following season they did it under tremendous pressure though.

For me The Centurions and The Treble winners were our two best sides but they were all out of this World under Pep.

I think we are really struggling in the league this season.
We’ve already dropped points in vital games where we got maximum points last season ( Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea ) plus a bit of a freak result at Wolves.
I’ll always back us at home but it’s the away games that we’ve got left where we will continue to slip up imho.
We’ve still got to go to Anfield, Spurs, Forest, Geordies, Villa, Brighton and Brentford. We got a total of 4 points from those games last season. We had already won the title by the time we got to Brighton and Brentford though so you could say we had the two finals on our minds.
Sadly, I think we will just run out of steam/motivation after last seasons exertions.
Obviously, I hope I’m wrong and Pep and the players can dig deep and continue to bring success.

I think we are really struggling in the league this season.
We’ve already dropped points in vital games where we got maximum points last season ( Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea ) plus a bit of a freak result at Wolves.
I’ll always back us at home but it’s the away games that we’ve got left where we will continue to slip up imho.
We’ve still got to go to Anfield, Spurs, Forest, Geordies, Villa, Brighton and Brentford. We got a total of 4 points from those games last season. We had already won the title by the time we got to Brighton and Brentford though so you could say we had the two finals on our minds.
Sadly, I think we will just run out of steam/motivation after last seasons exertions.
Obviously, I hope I’m wrong and Pep and the players can dig deep and continue to bring success.
The only thing that matters is when we hit the end of Jan we are within touching distance.
Then we do what we do.

It turned me into an alcoholic mess!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.