The Tottenham Thread 13/14 part 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blue Hawaii said:
Spud's mistake is buying good players for the sake of it with no real system. Look at us with Pellers. He has his system and knows what players he wanted for it. He knew he wanted Negredo for his height to complement Aguero. He knew he wanted Ferd to let Yaya get forward and Navas for our width. Even Mourinho has his system and knows what players he wants in it. I don't know what AVB's system is besides a high line.
This is very true and something I often say. It's for this why I say things like PSG have great players, but are a joke selection wise. Baldini made a mess of the signings and Souness was spot on about there being no balance.

That being said AVB discovered the best possible mix on Thursday. Tottenham fans complained about the build up being slow, but what they don't realise is that no manage tells his team to pass the ball slowly. It's due to the players not being familiar with each other and lacking sufficient technical ability. Dembele and Sandro lacks anyone with the required passing technique. AVB should have started Holtby in the centre.

I would have bet my right foot that Sandro was just grimacing through the warm up and said the same thing to my housemate. He should have known his players better.

Naughton was terrible and should not have played.

Even though Soldaldo had got the hat trick in midweek, Defoe had been part of the 'Premiership' team which had won the last two and did not deserve to be dropped.

Townsend should have started on the left.

Then there were the tactics. The high line is fine, but then you need you front players to work very hard and put pressure on the opposition defenders. The Tottenham front players did not work hard giving Liverpool time and space to pick balls behind the back. Southampton and Dortmund are examples of how to play a high line.

Motivation was also poor. Right from the off too many Tottenham players came out nervous like Lennon, Dembele and Walker.

Finally he should have stopped playing the high line when they were 2-0 down with the red card. It was time to try and keep the score respectable. Terrible performance for AVB and I cannot see him keeping his job.

supercrystal7 said:
This is very true and something I often say. It's for this why I say things like PSG have great players, but are a joke selection wise. Baldini made a mess of the signings and Souness was spot on about there being no balance.

That being said AVB discovered the best possible mix on Thursday. Tottenham fans complained about the build up being slow, but what they don't realise is that no manage tells his team to pass the ball slowly. It's due to the players not being familiar with each other and lacking sufficient technical ability. Dembele and Sandro lacks anyone with the required passing technique. AVB should have started Holtby in the centre.

I would have bet my right foot that Sandro was just grimacing through the warm up and said the same thing to my housemate. He should have known his players better.

Naughton was terrible and should not have played.

Even though Soldaldo had got the hat trick in midweek, Defoe had been part of the 'Premiership' team which had won the last two and did not deserve to be dropped.

Townsend should have started on the left.

Then there were the tactics. The high line is fine, but then you need you front players to work very hard and put pressure on the opposition defenders. The Tottenham front players did not work hard giving Liverpool time and space to pick balls behind the back. Southampton and Dortmund are examples of how to play a high line.

Motivation was also poor. Right from the off too many Tottenham players came out nervous like Lennon, Dembele and Walker.

Finally he should have stopped playing the high line when they were 2-0 down with the red card. It was time to try and keep the score respectable. Terrible performance for AVB and I cannot see him keeping his job.

SC it's up to the manager to strike balance between the players, and it's up to the manager to instill a quick passing game with the players he has available. Yes I think he probably doesn't tell the players to pass slowly but it's hard for them to do otherwise when they play in a system set up by the manager that isn't conducive to that kind of style. Many managers would love to work with the squad we have, it is not a good excuse that it "lacks balance." It appears that way for other reasons. If Martinez could get Wigan's squad to play quick, passing football then Tottenham's squad can as well, if that is the way the manager wants us to play (and if he has any idea how to create that kind of team).

But I actually wouldn't be surprised if AVB instructs the defenders to engage in slow, sideways passing. The reason why I think that is because of an interview I read with him in the telegraph where he emphasizes using the ball as a carrot to draw the other team out. It's a strategy I use in Fifa sometimes that can actually work haha. If you keep possession of the ball between the defenders it can cause ill-disciplined opponents to draw their forwards out to your defenders, which creates space for the midfield players to move into to pick the ball up. It might work in Italy but won't work in England, the game is just too fast paced to play it like a chess match.

GHoddle said:
I think he'll be gone by tomorrow. If not then, very soon.

But the game is up. Who we get in now I have no fucking idea. Head says it'll be Tim Sherwood but hope I'm wrong about that.

Another wasted season in all likelihood. Just wish Levy could appoint a competent manager. Each season is like going around the monopoly board again and not landing on the space we need.

It is odd that no-one considers Levy the problem.

It's ok though because they didn't really spend £100m and avb didn't really say at the start of the season that they are title contenders. ....
10 men or not that result yesterday was disgusting. ......

What exactly is Spurs 'connection with Ajax'?

On a similar note, looks like City dodged a bullrt with Erikson. He's looked shit on the few occasions I've seen him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.