The "which famous person died today" thread

Edna O’Brien Irish author has died aged ninety odd. She scandalised Ireland in the late 50s and in the 60s writing about female sexuality in tales of young Irish women. (Freeze released…see post #2213 below.)

Last edited:
Edna O’Brien Irish author has died aged ninety odd. She scandalised Ireland in the late 50s and in the 60s writing about female sexuality in tales of young Irish women. Her b
My Gran loved her books, probably her favourite modern day author at the time.

My Gran loved her books, probably her favourite modern day author at the time.
For unknown reasons my tablet has frozen that post.
I was going to say her books were banned and burned. The church condemned her as evil from the pulpit. She laughed at their medieval attitudes and moved to London. Eventually he work contributed to the slow modernisation of Irish culture, the closing of the Magdelene laundries and more freedom for Irish artists.

For unknown reasons my tablet has frozen that post.
I was going to say her books were banned and burned. The church condemned her as evil from the pulpit. She laughed at their medieval attitudes and moved to London. Eventually he work contributed to the slow modernisation of Irish culture, the closing of the Magdelene laundries and more freedom for Irish artists.
My Gran was born in 1916. Definitely a woman of her time, outwardly anyway. Yet, with hindsight, she was a woman who saw a traditional woman's role as a burden (she never wanted kids for example, but she was a fantastic mother once they inevitably came along).
She also rowed with the local Priest over a couple of issues (no way was her only son going to train for the priesthood!) and she eventually stopped going to Mass.
She never lost her Faith, it was people telling her what to do that pissed her off.

And she also once told a small group of female relations that she liked sex....that proved to be a conversation stopper in the 1950s, lol.

No wonder she liked the author ;-)

My Gran was born in 1916. Definitely a woman of her time, outwardly anyway. Yet, with hindsight, she was a woman who saw a traditional woman's role as a burden (she never wanted kids for example, but she was a fantastic mother once they inevitably came along).
She also rowed with the local Priest over a couple of issues (no way was her only son going to train for the priesthood!) and she eventually stopped going to Mass.
She never lost her Faith, it was people telling her what to do that pissed her off.

And she also once told a small group of female relations that she liked sex....that proved to be a conversation stopper in the 1950s, lol.

No wonder she liked the author ;-)
I like your gran, she was obviously a star. Rowing with a priest and openly liking sex was dangerous in Ireland then.

I like your gran, she was obviously a star. Rowing with a priest and openly liking sex was dangerous in Ireland then.
Lol.
She lived in Higher Broughton to be fair but it was predominantly Irish/Irish descent families within her community.

Edna O’Brien Irish author has died aged ninety odd. She scandalised Ireland in the late 50s and in the 60s writing about female sexuality in tales of young Irish women. (Freeze released…see post #2213 below.)

Mentioned in Dexys Dance Stance if memory serves

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.